Cannot open or edit My Verse Notes

SilhouetteXX

Brandon I recently purchased a Samsung ATIVsmart PC tablet running the full version of Windows 8. I installed SwordSearcher 7.0 and everything seems to run right except for any user editable modules. There is a module error log that lists all the user editable modules and all are opened in read only mode, "C:\Program Files\SwordSearcher\Modules\MyNotes.ss5cmty" was opened but in read-only mode. This is a user-editable module, but could not be opened in write mode. Please tell me how to fix this so I can add notes to verses as I read along in the bible in SwordSearcher?

User-editable modules need to be in a writable location so that SwordSearcher can modify the files. The Program Files location is not a writable location. Most likely you just copied your MyNotes.ss5cmty file into the Program Files\SwordSearcher\Modules folder by mistake.

All you need to do is move that file to your Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules folder. That should solve the problem; please let me know if it does not.

User-editable modules need to be in a writable location so that SwordSearcher can modify the files. The Program Files location is not a writable location. Most likely you just copied your MyNotes.ss5cmty file into the Program Files\SwordSearcher\Modules folder by mistake.

All you need to do is move that file to your Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules folder. That should solve the problem; please let me know if it does not.

I have already tried that Brandon and it didn't fix the problem?

I have already tried that Brandon and it didn't fix the problem?

There are two possibilities:

1. If you copied the file to your Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules folder, rather than moved it, there would be a copy under Program Files that would prevent the user module location from loading. Make sure the MyNotes.ss5cmty file no longer exists in your Program Files\SwordSearcher\Modules folder.
  2. The file could be marked "read-only" -- this happens if you burn the file to a CD-ROM and then copy it to a hard drive, and there are other ways this can happen. Go to your Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules\MyNotes.ss5cmty file with File Explorer, right-click it, and select properties. Make sure that the attributes don't have "read only" checked.
By the way, all of this needs to be done while SwordSearcher is not running.

If none of that works, please go to the Help menu, select Module Error Log, and copy all of the text there for me and paste it into a reply so I can see what's going on.

Thanks.

There are two possibilities:

1. If you copied the file to your Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules folder, rather than moved it, there would be a copy under Program Files that would prevent the user module location from loading. Make sure the MyNotes.ss5cmty file no longer exists in your Program Files\SwordSearcher\Modules folder.
  2. The file could be marked "read-only" -- this happens if you burn the file to a CD-ROM and then copy it to a hard drive, and there are other ways this can happen. Go to your Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules\MyNotes.ss5cmty file with File Explorer, right-click it, and select properties. Make sure that the attributes don't have "read only" checked.
By the way, all of this needs to be done while SwordSearcher is notrunning.

If none of that works, please go to the Help menu, select Module Error Log, and copy all of the text there for me and paste it into a reply so I can see what's going on.

Thanks.

I deleted the module in the Program Files directory and it fixed the problem, so all the other editable modules need to be moved and deleted the same way right?

I deleted the module in the Program Files directory and it fixed the problem, so all the other editable modules need to be moved and deleted the same way right?

Yes, once you move your user modules into your Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules you need to make sure there isn't a copy of them left under Program Files\SwordSearcher\Modules, because SwordSearcher always loads those first and the duplicate modules will be ignored.

Yes, once you move your user modules into your Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules you need to make sure there isn't a copy of them left under Program Files\SwordSearcher\Modules, because SwordSearcher always loads those first and the duplicate modules will be ignored.

Boy that directory is going to be full, I have many that I've downloaded from the http://www.ssmodules.com/ website, can you please tell me what the default user editable modules are in the original install of SwordSearcher please?

Boy that directory is going to be full, I have many that I've downloaded from the http://www.ssmodules.com/ website, can you please tell me what the default user editable modules are in the original install of SwordSearcher please?

Since version 5.0 editable user modules are created in Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules. That's where you should find editable modules unless they were moved after being created.

Most of the SSModules.com modules are not editable or don't need to be edited anyway, and they are fine in the Program Files\SwordSearcher\Modules folder, where the SSModules installer puts them.

If you are copying over your personal editable modules from a different computer, it should be sufficient to just copy the Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules folder from the old computer to the same location on the new one. In your case it sounds like they have already been put into the Program Files area though, so you need to remove those.

Also, as of version 7.0, it is possible to define a different module file location for user modules if you have some reason to do that, but if you want to be able to edit a user modules, they must be located in a folder path that Windows allows to be edited without administrator privileges.

Since version 5.0 editable user modules are created in Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules. That's where you should find editable modules unless they were moved after being created.

Most of the SSModules.com modules are not editable or don't need to be edited anyway, and they are fine in the Program Files\SwordSearcher\Modules folder, where the SSModules installer puts them.

If you are copying over your personal editable modules from a different computer, it should be sufficient to just copy the Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules folder from the old computer to the same location on the new one. In your case it sounds like they have already been put into the Program Files area though, so you need to remove those.

Also, as of version 7.0, it is possible to define a different module file location for user modules if you have some reason to do that, but if you want to be able to edit a user modules, they must be located in a folder path that Windows allows to be edited without administrator privileges.

Can I send you a copy of the error log and you tell me if any of the files need to be moved into the other directory?

Attachments

• swordsearcher_error_log.txt
    11.9 KB · Views: 263
I took a look. I think what you have is a lot of Regie's modules added to your Modules folder. Unless you feel like you need to be able to edit them yourself you can just leave them where they are and remove the duplicates from your documents folder. You only need to move any of the modules you want to be able to edit yourself -- otherwise just leave them be, is my recommendation.

I took a look. I think what you have is a lot of Regie's modules added to your Modules folder. Unless you feel like you need to be able to edit them yourself you can just leave them where they are and remove the duplicates from your documents folder. You only need to move any of the modules you want to be able to edit yourself -- otherwise just leave them be, is my recommendation.

Okay, thanks so much Brandon, you have a great day.

Back