Compare versions in paragraph mode; see footnotes in ¶ mode

Eric

Beta Tester
I would find it useful if I could have two translations side by side in paragraph mode, not only in verse mode. If this is already possible, I haven't found out how to do it.

Another thing I miss when in paragraph mode is the ability to see the footnotes. Maybe there is already a way to do that, but, again, if so, I've not found it.

Both of those functions are only available in column mode.

Brandon, do you think they are something very many people would find useful? I.e., enough users to make it worth it to put on the future feature list? Those of us who use foreign language translations alongside English would probably love this option. I often switch back and forth between paragraph view and verse view when I'm studying – to make sure I've got the idea of the whole context. But I'm often doing that in two different languages.

Brandon, do you think they are something very many people would find useful? I.e., enough users to make it worth it to put on the future feature list? Those of us who use foreign language translations alongside English would probably love this option. I often switch back and forth between paragraph view and verse view when I'm studying – to make sure I've got the idea of the whole context. But I'm often doing that in two different languages.

This is one feature request where I would personally not like implementing it. Keeping two columns of paragraph text aligned in a meaningful way (since the point is to be able to easily compare each side), aligning marginalia with text that has no fixed cellular position, and other things, would be a lot to do and this is the first time I have heard of an interest in it. To me, paragraph mode is meant specifically for when a distraction-free reading mode is desired, to absorb the flow of the text. Adding the marginalia and a comparison column would defeat the purpose I have in mind for the display mode.

I do appreciate your suggestion but this particular item is going to be below a lot of others on the request list.

That's fine, Brandon. Sometimes my uniqueness is more evident than at other times. :) I guess it shows in all these unique ways I use software.

Even without the marginal notes, I do think syncing paragraphs might / maybe / could be useful to other multi-lingual users (although there may not be too many of us [yet]). :)

That's fine, Brandon. Sometimes my uniqueness is more evident than at other times. :) I guess it shows in all these unique ways I use software.

Even without the marginal notes, I do think syncing paragraphs might / maybe / could be useful to other multi-lingual users (although there may not be too many of us [yet]). :)
Would cloning the Bible panel before you switch work for you? Like, clone the paragraph view and then set the Bible panel back to column view with the footnotes and margin notes... ?

Hmm. That's a possibility. I'll see how it works. I already have my display set up rather strangely, but this is an option indeed. Thank you!

Back