Crowd Funding MAC Version

The thought has occurred to me. And I am honored that Mac users would like me to make a version of SwordSearcher that is native to their platform.

The problem is not so much money as it is time. I do not have employees and becoming an employer is not something I plan to ever do. It would take a bare minimum of three years to develop an application for Mac that would be worthy of the SwordSearcher trademark, and during that time I would have to ignore the Windows development where 95% of the users are (including myself). Given the small Mac user base, and the fact that Mac users can easily run SwordSearcher with Parallels or VMWare, it does not add up to being a prudent project to take on.

I encourage Mac users to try using Parallels because it allows them to run 99% of the software that they do not have access to on a Mac otherwise, including SwordSearcher.

Or use the free VirtualBox, which I have found to be excellent (you do have to buy Windows itself, though). I have been using it for years. The primary reason I keep a Windows machine is because I can't imagine life without SwordSearcher. Now there are other apps I use in Windows, too, but not too many. Another option is CrossOver (see this link for SwordSearcher 7 on CrossOver). I think it could probably handle most things SwordSearcher would throw at it. Interestingly, BibleWorks has ported their program to Mac via some kind of a contract with CrossOver. It actually works 99.9% as well as the Windows version – it's just not as nice looking.

Codeweavers offers a wrapping service for Crossover that makes Windows applications run without any extra requirements on a Mac, but it is fairly costly (their quotes to me were simply not affordable). It's essentially a WINE wrapper around the application.

Good Morning Brandon,

Thanks for the responses. Your focus of your time on 95% of the users is spot on. I do run SwordSearcher on my Mac using Parallels...an IOS integrated version (i.e., Mac, iPad, iPhone, etc.) would have been nice, but... I'm so richly blessed by your efforts. I thank you for your work and God for giving you to us.

In Christ,
Kip

Back