e-Sword v9-new database format-has me wondering

jedisb

I just noticed that Rick Meyers has release e-Sword v9. He's changed the database back-end from MS Access to SQL Lite. Should allow him more flexibility in adding new features. Only downside is that all of the modules (free and paid for) must be re-downloaded and re-installed. All public domain modules obtained from 3rd parties are obviously "As Is" and there is no guarantee that they will convert with the utility Rick has graciously provided. Looking at some of the e-Sword groups there are users resorting to exporting Access database table rows to Excel and using some SQL Lite tools to build the file from scratch in the new format. I still use e-Sword along with SS but I have so many modules (over 1GB) that I don't think I'm going to upgrade at this point.

This whole e-Sword thing got me wondering what sort of file format SwordSearcher uses on the back-end. Is it some sort of pre-existing database engine or is it proprietary? Just curious.

SwordSearcher has always used a proprietary format of my own design, which is specifically suited for the needs of the type of indexing SwordSearcher offers in the library. This is why SwordSearcher modules can provide near-instant search results, instantaneous reverse-linking of verse references, etc, without taking up huge amounts of space -- the "database" format is designed specifically for these purposes.

Just for the record (for others who may stumble upon this post), SwordSearcher has an export function for User modules so user-created content is not "captive" to the SwordSearcher binary data files. Also, each major update of SwordSearcher has provided an "upgrade path" for user modules so they can be easily migrated. (This has only happened three times over the last 15 years.)

So will you work on getting e2fs to handle the new e-Sword file formats? I realize its probably not high on your priority list and that it will take permission and possibly some information from Rick Meyers but it would be nice to have.

No, I do not have any plans to do so at this time.

Back