Editing user commentaries changed slightly in v. 6

Eric

Beta Tester
Hi, Brandon,
I don't know if these two things are intentionally this way in v. 6 or not. One I like, but the other causes me some problems.

(1) In 5.5 when I closed (saved) an edited entry (verse) to a user commentary, that commentary became the "focused" commentary even if I was reading another commentary while editing the user commentary, i.e. upon saving the just-edited one jumped to the top of the commentaries. Now SS (6.0) saves the entry, but keeps my focus on the commentary (let's say, non-user commentary) I was reading. I like this, though perhaps a user option would be nice, so one could set a preference. The version 6 way actually is somewhat faster for me.

(2) In 5.5 after editing an empty commentary verse (adding some text) and saving it, the tab for that commentary automatically became yellow (I assume because focus automatically shifted to it). Now (6.0) it doesn't become yellow until after you click on at least one commentary tab. Since SS no longer automatically jumps to that commentary, and the tab doesn't become yellow, I often wonder if I really saved that comment in the right place. This change is not really very convenient for me.

One thing I really like (probably it was available in 5.5, but I didn't use it), is the way of unpinning the windows and arranging them differently and then (new, I think, in 6) saving the layouts. Wonderful! I can leave a "hole" in my SS desktop for another program to "peek through" so I can see both at once. Ingenious! Thanks.

(1) In 5.5 when I closed (saved) an edited entry (verse) to a user commentary, that commentary became the "focused" commentary even if I was reading another commentary while editing the user commentary, i.e. upon saving the just-edited one jumped to the top of the commentaries. Now SS (6.0) saves the entry, but keeps my focus on the commentary (let's say, non-user commentary) I was reading. I like this, though perhaps a user option would be nice, so one could set a preference. The version 6 way actually is somewhat faster for me.

Yes, this is an intentional change. It also allows you to save your progress as you edit without losing your place if you are looking though a different commentary or book.

(2) In 5.5 after editing an empty commentary verse (adding some text) and saving it, the tab for that commentary automatically became yellow (I assume because focus automatically shifted to it). Now (6.0) it doesn't become yellow until after you click on at least one commentary tab. Since SS no longer automatically jumps to that commentary, and the tab doesn't become yellow, I often wonder if I really saved that comment in the right place. This change is not really very convenient for me.
I understand -- the tab color should immediately update. I'll get this fixed in the next release.

One thing I really like (probably it was available in 5.5, but I didn't use it), is the way of unpinning the windows and arranging them differently and then (new, I think, in 6) saving the layouts. Wonderful! I can leave a "hole" in my SS desktop for another program to "peek through" so I can see both at once. Ingenious! Thanks.
Glad you like it. Custom layout (including floating panels off the main window) has been supported since 5.0, but the program would only "remember" your active layout. The ability to save an unlimited number of custom layouts and recall them at will is new to 6.0.

Back