forge questions

shan

I am interested in using Forge. I have no "schooling" in computers but use them a lot.

I am curious about how difficult it is for a dabbler like myself to use something like Forge to make some modules (F.W. Grant's Numerical Bible for example).

Specifically, I am wondering, is it basically just find a file and import, or are there some more advanced steps.

I have read the forge page on Swordsearcher and it looks pretty simple.

I'd appreciate any answers or direction toward more info.

Thanks
shan

There's a pdf manual for Forge. I think it comes with the download. It explains how to format a plain text file for Bibles, Commentaries, and books. You will probably have to edit the file that you mentioned to make it suitable for input to Forge.

Here's a link to a Forge input file for a Bible. You can look at it with an editor like notepad or wordpad. You'll have to unzip it first. You can try running Forge on it for practice.

http://wsbones.googlepages.com/KJB-PCETXT.ZIP

I echo Bill's suggestion. Download and install Forge and then take a look at the manual that is included with it.

How much work it is depends on too many factors to say. Often, it is easier just to piece together a module in SwordSearcher itself with the User Editor, but Forge is very helpful if you already have all of the text separated, in HTML, and have the ability to organize the source file appropriately.

Great!

I looked at the text on the link you gave me, WSBONES, and I read the pdf from forge.

I tried a test document that I copied into notepad from the net. It worked great.

Thanks for help from both of you and for this great tool. I've been looking for something like this for a long time.

My next question is how do I find out what is in public domain and are there any problems legally or otherwise (computer problems) that I should look out for?

thanks
shan

P.S. Great software. I am doing my part to turn many people on to it.

My next question is how do I find out what is in public domain and are there any problems legally or otherwise (computer problems) that I should look out for?

(Standard disclaimer: this is not legal advice.) Almost anything published before 1930 has fallen into the Public Domain. Other than that my suggestion is to research the copyright status of a work before using it, to avoid infringing on a copyright.

P.S. Great software. I am doing my part to turn many people on to it.
Thank you!

This thread has helped me. I'm downloading forge again and try using it. Thanks, everyone!

Re: forge questions -- newbie trying to use FORGE

Hi Group,
New to all of this, but great software!!
Would someone be kind enough to tell me what I'm doing wrong here? This is just a small snippet of a book.

Using FORGE:: I kept the automatically link verses on, as I thought that would use the pop up verse function and I could just leave them in the body of the document.

Maybe I am doing something wrong as I notice the FORGE documentation states "Forge import files must be encoded in plain ASCII, bible verses must be plain text." I did save to the SwordSearcher5/modules folder which I know I shouldn't do, but nothing showed up.

Could someone explain what is plain ASCII if that if there is a formatting problem here, isn't this just the same as text? And if not, how do I covert plain text to ASCII. (Wikipedia was confusing ;))

Thanks -- Eph. 5

; TITLE: Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation
; ABBREVIATION: DV CH 1
$$ {AUTHORDETAIL}
<p> PJ II </p>
$$ REVELATION ITSELF
<p> In His goodness and wisdom God chose to reveal Himself and to make known to us the hidden purpose of His will (see Eph. 1:9) by which through Christ, the Word made flesh, man might in the Holy Spirit have access to the Father and come to share in the divine nature (see Eph. 2:18; 2 Peter 1:4). Through this revelation, therefore, the invisible God (see Col. 1:15, 1 Tim. 1:17) out of the abundance of His love speaks to men as friends (see Ex. 33:11; John 15:14-15) and lives among them (see Bar. 3:38), so that He may invite and take them into fellowship with Himself. This plan of revelation is realized by deeds and words having in inner unity: the deeds wrought by God in the history of salvation manifest and confirm the teaching and realities signified by the words, while the words proclaim the deeds and clarify the mystery contained in them. By this revelation then, the deepest truth about God and the salvation of man shines out for our sake in Christ, who is both the mediator and the fullness of all revelation. </p>

<p> DEI VERBUM <a href="ssbook:DEI VERBUM CH 1">DV CH1 </a></p>

Thanks again...Mike

Re: forge questions -- newbie trying to use FORGE

Using FORGE:: I kept the automatically link verses on, as I thought that would use the pop up verse function and I could just leave them in the body of the document.

That's correct.

Maybe I am doing something wrong as I notice the FORGE documentation states "Forge import files must be encoded in plain ASCII, bible verses must be plain text." I did save to the SwordSearcher5/modules folder which I know I shouldn't do, but nothing showed up.
Forge saves the module file in the proper location automatically unless you change it manually.

; TITLE: Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation
; ABBREVIATION: DV CH 1
I suggest not using spaces in the abbreviation. Also, the abbreviation should somewhat match the title. You don't need separate modules for each chapter (if CH means chapter).

In your next post you already figured out why your module wasn't appearing. I'll reply in that post in a minute.

Back