Guide to Running SwordSearcher on Linux Operating Systems (Updated June 2024)

Thanks! I may try Apple Silicon first since it's more difficult. Give me a good challenge. :)

My Macs can't run MacPorts at the moment since they're on the Sequoia beta, but they are running Homebrew. Am I going to need to wait and try this after MacPorts is available for Sequoia?

Honestly, most people do not think about their technology at all, as long as it works. We're all carrying around tracking devices with cameras and microphones because it's convenient and 99% of us do not give any thought to it. If there is going to be any significant move away from Windows as the dominant desktop computing platform it is going to be driven by pricing and convenience, not because people are rationally scrutinizing features packed into the operating system.

A Linux version of SwordSearcher would be nice but I know from my own customer feedback that Linux is barely on anyone's radar, for a desktop OS.
I think it means something when the two biggest threads on the forum are both about linux versions, that's hard to dismiss.

I am a linux user that doesn't "tinker under the hood" at all. This is because distros like Mint work just fine! Even if people aren't actively considering it, issues of security and privacy enter our public discourse more and more.

I use SS on my windows laptop that runs nothing other than SS. For the Word, it is worth it, and SS is excellent software.

Rather than simply complain, I would like to say that I would happily pay extra and/or fund a linux version if you so decide to take on the project.

I have installed SwordSearcher 9.0 on Linux Mint and it works great. My question is this: I want to upgrade to 9.1 but I want to know if there have been any issues with upgrading? Thank you. This software has been a time saver for me.

I have installed SwordSearcher 9.0 on Linux Mint and it works great. My question is this: I want to upgrade to 9.1 but I want to know if there have been any issues with upgrading? Thank you. This software has been a time saver for me.
Not that I know of. Worst-case, you just create a new WINE instance for 9.1.

Back