Having error with loading Bible Verses into Sword editor

C.r.a.i.g

Hello Everyone. Hope you are doing well. I started off well loading verses into the Sword user editor. But when I got to Exodus that is when the trouble started. I loaded verses from Genesis and it worked well. Now moving onto Exodus it seems like the Sword program will have an error. In the Edit Entry, the verses read correctly, but after saving and closing the editor window, the verses default to whole chapters! I'm using the KJV-TSK. For example in exodus Ch 3 verse 20:
Ex 3:20 And I will stretch out my hand, and smite Egypt with all my wonders which I will do in the midst thereof: and after that he will let you go.
Ex 6:6; 7:1-13:22; De 6:22; Ne 9:10; Ps 105:27; 135:9; Jer 32:20; Ac 7:36

So what happens is the verse editor will display the links for EX 7:1-13 as Chapters 1-13 instead of verses 1-13. The problem is happening for me throughout Exodus. I went through all of Genesis and the program worked. So I'm wondering what is up? Is this problem something for Exodus or will the other books be like this to? I'm trying to load and copy the cross references, but it might be difficult if it reads some of the verses as chapters. I had Sword 8.2 and upgraded to 8.4 to try to fix the issue, but it's still there. Any help would be appreciated it. Otherwise just letting you know about this.

I presume you mean SwordSearcher, just want to be sure we are on the same page.

If I open the editor and put Ex 7:1-13 in there, I get a link to the expected verses.

1627579713785.png

So, something else is going on. If you want to email me your user module I can take a look at the exact text you've entered as see if there is a bug. Or you could post a screen shot showing your text as it appears in the editor before you save it. I suspect it would just be some kind of unexpected character entered in the text that is causing the behavior you describe. Anyway, if I type verse refs for Exodus into the editor, they all work as expected..

Here is another example. I'm copying text from the program Power Bible Cd into the Sword editor. Here the chapter is Exodus 40.
In verse one of chapter 40, the cross verses reference, Ex 25:1-31:18. So if you load "Ex 25:1-31:18" the Sword editor will read it as chapters. So I can fix it by doing the text like this "Ex 25:1-31, 18"
By changing the : to a comma. I'm trying to load all the cross references one chapter at a time. The verse number is just listed, so I have to add EX to each verse from Exodus. But I can maybe attach the code above. I can't figure out how to save the thing to send it to you and I got to go to work by 1pm. So if you just copy this into the text editor, you should see what I mean. Thanks.
1 ¶ And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
Ex 25:1-31:18
2 On the first day of the first month shalt thou set up the tabernacle of the tent of the congregation.
Ex 12:2; 13:4; 26:1,30; 40:17

So verse in the text edit I would
add EX1:
and EX2: ect.. to each verse. but the cross reference for verse one of EX 40:1 would read as chapter. After hitting save. It loads as
Ex 25-31. So it gives me chapter 25-31 instead of Chapter 25:1-31 and verse 18

So try loading this

and in the text editor add the EX: before verse one. Then hit save and you will see that it changes it to
Ex 25-31

In SwordSearcher, If you paste or type in a reference that looks like this:

You are telling it to link from chapter 25 verse one through chapter 31 verse 18. So, seems like it is working as expected. The colon is explicitly telling SwordSearcher that the preceding number is a chapter, not a verse. So maybe what you mean is

Ex 25:1-31, 18.

But that's odd because 18 is already included in the 1-31...

If you are certain that verses are being misinterpreted by the editor, please post a screen shot (use Windows Snipping Tool to make one) of the editor with the text in it, so I can see exactly what is going on. The forum does it's own automatic markup of verse references and it could be confusing matters here.

Sword editor

Just to be clear, you mean SwordSearcher, right? I just want to make sure were not talking about some other program (it's happened before).

The editor shows that you are specifying a link to all of Exodus chapters 25 through 31, and that's what is getting linked in the book panel.

The hyphen in 25:1-31:18 is quite explicit in that it says, quite literally, "all the verses from 25:1 through 31:18." It's working as expected.

ok. I understand it now. Thanks for the Help. I appreciate your programming because it helps a lot. The editor is helpful.

Brandon would you be interested in the text files when I'm done copying all the the verse references? Just wondering because maybe you could add it to the program. I'm not sure what reference Bible the Power Bible Cd used, and I asked them, but they never got back. Otherwise maybe I could create a module for it. But I don't know much about that. Then I do have a question about audio Bibles. You probably would want me to ask in another thread. I was just wondering if you can add any audio Bible or if it has to copy right free? Thanks

Brandon would you be interested in the text files when I'm done copying all the the verse references? Just wondering because maybe you could add it to the program. I'm not sure what reference Bible the Power Bible Cd used, and I asked them, but they never got back. Otherwise maybe I could create a module for it. But I don't know much about that. Then I do have a question about audio Bibles. You probably would want me to ask in another thread. I was just wondering if you can add any audio Bible or if it has to copy right free? Thanks
SwordSearcher has the integrated KJV-TSK for cross referencing which is quite comprehensive already, but thank you.

As for audio, since I don't distribute any of the audio and it is up to the user to obtain the mp3 files (legally), there is no copyright issue. There are some technical issues, of course. You can add any audio Bible you want that has one audio file per chapter and has properly-named files.

Due to the time and work it takes to build the verse timing data, support for verse-level sync is limited to what you see on that list, but you can still add any audio Bible you want if the file names are valid book/chapter names and all of the chapters exist.

If you have more questions about audio Bibles please feel free to start a new thread for those.

Brandon, is there a way to append (add/edit) our own cross references?
The KJV-TSK can't be altered, no. However, you can create a commentary module for cross-references and add it to your verse widgets for quick access.

Thanks, is there a 'how-to' link?
This video shows how to make your commentary:

This video demonstrates verse widgets and shows how you can assign any commentary to a verse widget:

I think that should cover it... once you have a personal commentary set up you can use it to catalog cross-references on each verse. With a verse widget, it's really fast to see what you have on that verse and/or add more content to it.

Thanks, is there a 'how-to' link?
I use this module

[BSG] Bible Study
This is a user-editable module and was created by a third party. The authors and publishers of SwordSearcher are not responsible for the content of this module.

The name is
BSG.ss5book

I tried to search the module on website, but can't find a link for you. Maybe someone else can find a link. Probably my favorite module.

I use this module

[BSG] Bible Study
This is a user-editable module and was created by a third party. The authors and publishers of SwordSearcher are not responsible for the content of this module.

The name is
BSG.ss5book

I tried to search the module on website, but can't find a link for you. Maybe someone else can find a link. Probably my favorite module.
I do have all the modules possible, and I cannot find it also . . . ?!?!?

Back