Hello & suggestions please

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
I don't really like to recommend hardware, because it can be such an expensive purchase, but I have been very satisfied with my Microsoft Surface Book as a laptop. I use it during personal Bible study and also for testing during SwordSearcher development. You specifically mentioned pre-loaded software-- I know what you mean. Our home has had laptops from Dell and HP in the past, and those always came with way too much pre-loaded stuff that didn't get used. The Microsoft Surface Book I have didn't come with any "junkware" that I can recall. If there is a Microsoft store near you, you could go in and try out their latest machines.

A

Anonymized member 1393

Microsoft store has these other computers from other mfg's that have the bloatware removed too. There are other ways to get rid of the bloatware by re-installing Win 10 using Windows Fresh start that is built right in to Windows 10. Go to Settings -> Update & security -> Recovery-> "Learn how to start fresh with a clean installation of Windows" and clicking that will walk you through it and it doesn't take long. [edit: unless you've had your machine a while then you have to re-install apps]

I have personally found that I don't use the touch screen with SS because I never figured out how to perform a "mouse hover" (and other things... might be a good tutorial topic if anyone knows how) on it ;)

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
I have personally found that I don't use the touch screen with SS because I never figured out how to perform a "mouse hover" (and other things... might be a good tutorial topic if anyone knows how) on it
There's no way to do that with a finger, but it does work with a digitizer just fine (the Surface Pen that comes with the Book works for this).