How to best use Strong's indexer

johnk

I am hoping someone can help me use the Strong's indexer a little more effectively. When I come to a word in the KJV, I am used to looking that word up in my printed copy of Strongs. When I find the English word, I look for the verse I am reading (they are in biblical order which makes that easy) and then I note the Strong's Hebrew or Greek #, switch to that section, look up the #, and then study the other verses that use that same word.

In SS, I can right-click on a word and choose the Strong's indexer and it does look up the word, but not specific to the verse I am on, hence I have to scroll through the entire list, and even if I guess right on the correct Hebrew entry, the verse references are not in Biblical order making it next to impossible to find the word I am looking for. The only way I determine to use it, is to look in my printed copy, find the correct Hebrew or Greek Strong #, and then type the S# into the search tool in the indexer. Am I missing something? Thanks for any help you can provide. John

John, please excuse me if I don't understand what you're looking for and give you the wrong answer. (My boss used to tease me saying I always had an answer - even if it was wrong!)

If I'm reading a verse and want to see what Strong's has to say, I click on the Bible tab for the KJVSL, which brings up the KJV with Strong's Links. If I rest my cursor on the Hebrew or Greek word, a popup comes up with the Strong's number as well as the definition.

You can search the KJVSL Bible module for Strong's Numbers by entering a prefix with the number (like H1234). To search for a Greek Strong's number, prefix the number with a G (like G1234). (Which I think you already know.) See the help file: http://www.swordsearcher.com/help-v5...n_with_st.html for details on using the KJVSL and Strong's Links.

Does that answer your question?

Thanks Marty - that works perfectly. I am new to the application and this is the first time I needed to look up a word in Strongs. The feature I was using was right click a word in KJV and choose Strongs indexer. Using the KJVS as you recommended works much better and was obviously created for what I was trying to do.

I am glad you jumped in to help, right or wrong. You are so kind to respond so promptly. This is a great application, and I'm liking it more everyday, especially since it puts my beloved KJV front and center. I have also enjoyed the commentaries, though I have never used any of them before SS except for Matthew Henry. I have the printed volumes, but they were getting very hard for my 50ish eyes to read. Thanks again for your quick help. God bless you, John.

Thanks for jumping in, Marty!

The ESI (English Strongs Indexer) is more like the Young's concordance than the Strong's. The KJVSL is the way to look up Strong's lexicon entries for words in a verse.

I'm trying to find what Libronix DLS 2.1b (circa 2001) calls an Englishman's Concordance (E.C.). Right click on any word in the Bible text window, choose E.C. and you are provided with a list of verses using the same Greek word.
The English word in the verse listed is in bold type and so it's very easy to scan through the verses listed and see the various English words used for the same Greek word. Strong's and Vine's definition links are right there too.

I can not read the SS KJVSL well at all, and the popup with the Strong's listings are impossible to scan for the other English words.

I have had SS for years and used it to copy, etc (love that) and went to DLS for other stuff. Just bought a pack of 5.3's and hoped to find a simple "Englishman's Concordance".

I know what I mean and hope someone else will as well. Blessings, Ab

I may not understand exactly what you are asking, but I think what you want can be done this way:

In the SwordSearcher KJVSL module, right-click any Strong's link and select "Search Bible for NNNNN" (where NNNNN is the Strong's number for the link you clicked). The result panel will show you all of the verses that have the same Strong's number, with the link highlighted.

Thanks for your response.
I do that...but I can't read the KJVSL with any speed because of the Greek "interruptions" and the results panel is the same way. I'm not a Greek student of any sort, I just want to know all the English words used and their context for any particular Greek word.
SS is "the best", except for this thing that the other program I referred to makes so simple and fast. It has spoiled me. Love y'all anyway, Ab

Thanks for your response.
I do that...but I can't read the KJVSL with any speed because of the Greek "interruptions" and the results panel is the same way. I'm not a Greek student of any sort, I just want to know all the English words used and their context for any particular Greek word.
SS is "the best", except for this thing that the other program I referred to makes so simple and fast. It has spoiled me. Love y'all anyway, Ab

If you right click on a English word in the KJV, one of the popup menu items is to open the English Strongs Indexer for the word.

If you click on the verses listed in the indexer, they will show up in the search window (if you have your preferences set that way). The search window has a dropdown box that allow you to switch Bibles between KJV and KJVSL.

I might not understand exactly what you are asking:?

Thank you Mr. Bill
I do that, but it still won't give me a quick look at all the English words that the translators used for one Greek word. (All the english words in bold and showing the reference and part of the verse...all in one line.)

If you google "englishman's concordance" you'll see "Biblical resources" and "Logos" and others show what I'm talking about.

Abner

Thank you Mr. Bill
I do that, but it still won't give me a quick look at all the English words that the translators used for one Greek word. (All the english words in bold and showing the reference and part of the verse...all in one line.)

If you google "englishman's concordance" you'll see "Biblical resources" and "Logos" and others show what I'm talking about.

Abner

OK I see what you mean. Here's the example for they give for right clicking on Cushite in Nu 12:1 and selecting the Englishman's.

englishman.jpg

Now you got it! That's it. Greek of course works same way. Thanks for the excellent example.

I can be reading KJV...hit right click...select englishman's...and that's what I get...plus links to Strong's and Vines in same panel.

Ab

SwordSearcher doesn't have a readout like the one Bill showed. I'll add it to the wish-list.

Back