Hyperlink

Rosy

.....at least I think that is what it is called.

In my user book I would like to place a Scripture reference so it would turn blue and open up when I place my curser over it.

Can it be done? I read about linking in help but It doesn't compute as what I want to do.

I am finding the book word processor very user friendly.
9980242366123.gif

Hope I can do this.

Rosy

.....at least I think that is what it is called.

In my user book I would like to place a Scripture reference so it would turn blue and open up when I place my curser over it.

Can it be done? I read about linking in help but It doesn't compute as what I want to do.

I am finding the book word processor very user friendly.
9980242366123.gif

Hope I can do this.

Rosy

Do it like this #Joh 3:16| with pound sign and vertical bar.

Rosy, it will help Brandon make the Help file more helpful if you will list the words or phrases that you used to try to look this up. For instance, the hyperlink format is spelled out under "Editor > Using the Editor" in the Help file, but there isn't an entry for "hyperlink" in the Index, so he could add 'hyperlink' to the index in the next update of the Help file. I tried "reference" and then scrolled upwards on the page that opened and found it just now... It's hard to guess what words people will use to look something up. :)

By the way, if you look up "Linking in the Editor" and scroll upwards, you'll find the information, too.

Do it like this #Joh 3:16| with pound sign and vertical bar.

Thanks Bill, I did do this, even tried shortcut in help. I assume vertical bar is lower case L.

My reference looks like yours above but nothing happens. Shouldn't it turn blue so I can run the curser over it to open?

Rosy :-?

Thanks Marty,
I didn't find it hard to find in Help. :razz:

Rosy, the end symbol that Bill called a 'bar' is the pipe, not a lowercase L. The pipe is with the back slash key. (The forward slash is with the question mark.) :)

Wow! That's weird - it posted twice and I only clicked on submit once! Must be worth a second look! haha

Rosy, the end symbol that Bill called a 'bar' is the pipe, not a lowercase L. The pipe is with the back slash key. (The forward slash is with the question mark.) :)

Thanks for that, Marty. Now I have found out about "pipe" which I had never ever heard of. So pipe comes about by shift+backslash.

Nothing happens! I am wondering if y'all know what I am trying to do. When I run my curser over a blue Scripture reference in a commentary eg the verse comes up. That is what I am wanting to do in my book.

What I have in my book is #Joh 5:20| That is exactly how it looks and nothing happens to it???????

9950231983045.gif

....................Rosy

What I have in my book is #Joh 5:20| That is exactly how it looks and nothing happens to it???????

It won't hyperlink in the editor -- only in the commentary or book panel after you save it. If it's not linking in the program after you save it, there is probably some formatting hidden in the text that isn't apparent in the WYSIWYG editor. Try making an entirely new entry just to test it, and without doing anything else, make a verse link and save it. See if it is linked in the book panel.

Nothing happens! I am wondering if y'all know what I am trying to do. When I run my curser over a blue Scripture reference in a commentary eg the verse comes up. That is what I am wanting to do in my book.
....................Rosy

Yes, I know what you want to do - it's one of my favorite features in SwordSearcher - the verse pop-up. You can do it. I don't know why it's giving you such a hard time. Take a deep breath - it's going to work.

You could try copying the entire book entry to Notepad or a similar plain-text editor, delete any characters that you don't recognize and then copy it back to a fresh book entry and save it. If it does what you want, you could delete the bad entry and rename the new entry with the deleted entry's title.

If it still doesn't work, you are welcome to email me a copy of the entry and I'll see if I can figure it out.

If it still doesn't work, you are welcome to email me a copy of the entry and I'll see if I can figure it out.

:)

I, of course, am happy to do the same.

My hunch is that there is some kind of errant coding in the entry HTML blocking recognition of the verse reference, which is why I suggested creating a new (empty) entry to test.

I knew you'd be happy to take a look, Brandon, (so would Bill) but I didn't want to volunteer you! Nice of me, huh? :D

I was thinking that if Rosy tries a new entry as you suggested, and it works, and she doesn't want to re-do the whole old entry, she could copy it to Notepad to show all characters... and thus save a total rewrite. :shock:

This thread represents one of the great blessings of this forum and the SS community.

Brandon, you said it doesn't work in the editor and you are so right.

OK! I got this from "help"

You can have SwordSearcher place a verse link automatically in your entry as well. While the user editor is open and the typing cursor is at the position you want the link placed, navigate to the Bible verse you wish linked in the Bible panel, right-click, and select Send Verse Link to Editor. (Do this while leaving the user editor open.)

Works like a charm and is actually a fun way. I had a whole lot of verses listed, then did the link thingee in the panel and they are all blue.

Thanks for helping me with this. All it was, was getting my head around it.

Rosy :-D

Thanks Rosy for that quote - it actually taught me something new (such as an easier way to do hyperlinking than I had done before).

Back