Images in user modules

Pastor Langley

The user editable modules we are blessed to build in SwordSearcher have a folder called (only if needed) not required {ModuleAssets}. This folder is only needed when images, and links are inside the module. If no images and no links then {ModuleAssets} is not needed correct?
What if we use {ModuleAssets} inside the user module; to other folders inside SwordSearcher, then could one do away with actually creating a assetts folder?
I realize that practice should only be on local works (your own PC) not uploaded to the module repository for USERS. Just a question?
Hope the question is correctly asked...

Last edited:
This is from the SwordSearcher Help file:
Creating Your Own Books and Commentaries > Advanced User Module Maintenance
Images for user module entries are considered assets and stored in a companion folder with the module file. The tools on this page of the Maintenance window are used to ensure that the module does not have any "external" image references not owned by the module. Images from entries which are on web pages or other locations on the local hard drive can automatically be copied into the module's assets folder.

Starting with SwordSearcher 7.1, images pasted into the user editor are automatically copied to the assets folder.

The ModuleAssets folder creates organization by keeping all images used in a user module together and makes referencing images in the module easier as the user doesn't have to hunt through potentially thousands of images in different locations to find the needed image. If a module is shared, all images used in the module can be sent with the module and the links will work because the image location is not changed.

Thanks Marty,
So sounds like the answer is if ONLY TEXT IN A MODULE, no need.
But if anything that has other (images, links, etc.) then create the "MouleAssets Folder.
Gotcha.

If you paste an image into the design editor, the assets folder will be automatically created, if needed, on save.

Got it...

Is it best to use .png images?
Seems that .png mostly used inside SS modules?
I used jpg's but want to change them if it is better...

My search and the above:
The Basic Rule: JPEG for Photos, PNG for Graphics

If you remember only one thing from this entire post, let it be this: save your photographs as JPEG format and your graphics (and screenshots) as PNG format.
THIS IS FOR ME OTHERS MAY VARY...

Is it best to use .png images?
As far as SwordSearcher is concerned it makes no difference.

However, JPG tends to be best for pictures, while PNG is lossless and can be better for text. PNGs for pictures take up more space than JPGs.

But SwordSearcher won't care either way.

Can you use subfolders? Creating book modules. Not that I need it but somewhere I read something on that you should not use sub-folders. Please correct or direct me.

Thank you!!!

swordsearcher://book+AOCW/10%20-%20Maps%20in%20Jesus%20Time
The above is for book module I built pointing to SS assets.
Am I doing this right?

Working for me, and hopefully when uploaded it will work as well because it is in an {assets} folder.
SwordSearchers images - When clicked it pops out as SS image viewer.
My assets folder images - When clicked it by default uses my Windows Photo viewer

Editor in SS code: as working now: (same as above I guess) just using the (actual) code. Both below links work fine.
<LI><A href="ssimage:Maps/Life of Christ Map 8.png">Life of Christ 08 - Passion </A>
My maps pop out as per image default on my machine, (default is windows Photos / Windows 10 Pro)
<LI><A href="file:///{ModuleAssets}/Maps%20and%20Sites%20of%20Jesus%20Ministry%20In%20Israel.jpg">Maps
and Sites of Jesus Ministry In Israel</A>

If you use a sub folder, you will need to specify it in the link:
{moduleassets}\subfoldername\imagename.ext
Your killing me SMALLS. :cool:💾😃😃😃😃
(Ha it was the forward slashes) you had them backwards, I changed them to forward.
Does it work both ways, I could not get it to work but one way.
Not complaining here I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP SIR!
Below is working as you said:

</HEAD>
<BODY>
<P>
<A href="file:///{ModuleAssets}/subfolder/testimage.jpg">Test Image To Sub Folder</P>
</BODY></HTML>

Just keep in mind that if you use subfolders, whoever has your module will need to have the same subfolder setup or the images won't be shown in the module.

When I Zip the book module, will it not create all that?
Any subfolder will be inside the main book module? Not some where else?
Example:
SwordSearcher User Modules\GCFWillis-Assets\subfolder

Module Information:
[GCFWillis] God's Chosen Fast_Arthur Willis
This is a user-editable module and was created by a third party. The authors and publishers of SwordSearcher are not responsible for the content of this module.
Module file location: C:\Users\owass\Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules\GCFWillis.ss5book

Module file time: 3/12/2024 8:14:53 PM UTC
Minimum SwordSearcher version: 5

User module last edited 3/12/2024 3:14:53 PM.

Ok looks like it does not. I just zipped it and not there.
OOPS...
Maybe we could get that added, like the automatic creation of Assets folder when adding images, after SwordSearcher 7.1?
Ok guess back to the drawing board...

Ok looks like it does not. I just zipped it and not there.
If you paste an image into the editor, it will handle all this automatically. You won't need to create or place files yourself.

If you need to do it manually, don't use subfolders in the assets folder.

So this is the step to guarantee all files Zip in the module?

Back