Make e-sword modules usable for SwordSearcher

Please read the PDF file that comes with Forge, which explains how to use it and what the input format is. It cannot convert databases from other applications to use in SwordSearcher.

Hello,

I have a public domain user module from e-sword that I want to use in SwordSearcher. I used https://www.swordsearcher.com/forge/index.html, but it does not work. What to do?

I see the tab appearing in SwordSearcher, but everthing is empty. I am trying to install a commentary.
I think it's a bit brash to ask the creator of one software program to accommodate the modules of a competitor.

There are no plans and no intentions to produce new format-shifting tools for SwordSearcher. I am definitely not interested in the legal challenges that could ensue from creating such tools. Forge can be used to process text into SwordSearcher modules, but if you want to pull that text out of another format, you will have to do that part on your own.

In the past I had created a tool designed specifically for users to convert unprotected modules they created from one program into SwordSearcher, but that became obsolete when that program updated to always use protected module files. I don't plan on following up with that and creating new ones.

Well since source code for an esword module is saved as a rtf file, do I need to save as a text file first to remove any special formating before running thru forge?
Forge would not work with an RTF file. So converting it to plain text, and then adding the required entry markers, and the required HTML tags for paragraphs, would be one way to do it, but that would also remove formatting. I am attaching the Forge instructions PDF, which comes with Forge, which describes in detail the required format of the input files. Again, it is not designed to import text from other Bible software. That is not something Forge makes easy because it is not what Forge is meant to do. Unless you can write your own text processing scripts to convert your RTF to HTML and then add the required entry markers, you will probably be better-off using copy-and-paste in SwordSearcher, which is the "user friendly" way to do it, which requires no programming skill and no knowledge of RTF or HTML.

Attachments

• SSForge.pdf
    158.5 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
I dont think thats what Andre meant.
It certainly can be understood that way. I have been with SwordSearcher since v.3 (I believe). I have been thrilled to see the updates, improvements and work the Holy Ghost has done through the program. I also know Brandon is very receptive to his user's comments and concerns and requests, but he has always devoted himself to building the work God has given to him. Brandon has never spoken of ill of competitors, but at the same time he has not given too much public concern about doing anything but using his talents to serve the Lord and improve his works. So asking him to accommodate the files from other programs, it is somewhat brash, in my humble but Swordsearcher experienced and informed opinion.

It certainly can be understood that way. I have been with SwordSearcher since v.3 (I believe). I have been thrilled to see the updates, improvements and work the Holy Ghost has done through the program. I also know Brandon is very receptive to his user's comments and concerns and requests, but he has always devoted himself to building the work God has given to him. Brandon has never spoken of ill of competitors, but at the same time he has not given too much public concern about doing anything but using his talents to serve the Lord and improve his works. So asking him to accommodate the files from other programs, it is somewhat brash, in my humble but Swordsearcher experienced and informed opinion.

What I mean is that I want to have information from some e-Sword modules into SwordSearcher. I think it is okay because the works are public domain.

Why is it somewhat brash? If the work is public domain, then it is legal to do so. Why see other programs as competitors? All of them are functioning in a different way, but they all are meant to build up the body of Christ.

Why is it somewhat brash? If the work is public domain, then it is legal to do so. Why see other programs as competitors? All of them are functioning in a different way, but they all are meant to build up the body of Christ.
Just to be clear, that is not an issue for me at all. Tim will have to answer your question about what he meant. I understood you were just looking for information. I certainly take no offence at your questions. You are not the first one, and won't be the last one, to wonder if there is an easy way to convert material from other applications to SwordSearcher.

I don't have a tool to convert modules from other applications, and I just wanted to be clear, Forge will not do it. If you have text from some other application, you have to find a way to export it, and then process the text into the Forge input format, if you want to use Forge. Otherwise, the method is copy-and-paste.

Since most Bible programs use proprietary or encrypted formats for their modules, there isn't a straightforward way to import them into SwordSearcher. There are also legal issues with regard to reverse-engineering clauses in the click-through licenses. Of course, nobody owns public domain material, so you can do what you want with public domain text.

One thing about user-created content in SwordSearcher is that I make it easy to export. You can use the tools on the User menu to export all of your content from a user-created module to an HTML document (or to a Forge file). I don't believe that your material should be "captive" to a SwordSearcher module. I have no idea of other programs have a similar way to easily export their user-created modules. If they did, or you use one that does, feel free to send me a copy of the exported content (not original modules), and I can review it to see if it would be feasible to offer an import function for it.

Last edited:
SwordSearcher commentaries are indexed by verse. So you have to decide where to put the "broader" content. I just put them on the first verse of the chapter, or the first verse of a range of verses. The commentary panel makes it very easy to move to the next or previous entry, so it should be straightforward to follow along with content in a commentary regardless of which specific verse you put the content on. The commentary panel also lets you expand to the entire chapter (or any subrange you want) if you want to look at it differently.

I wouldn't recommend copy and paste duplicate content into multiple entries, though you can do that. Instead, I would just put a link to the entry that has the actual content. In the editor you can insert a link to another entry from the Insert menu.

Just to be clear, that is not an issue for me at all. Tim will have to answer your question about what he meant. I understood you were just looking for information. I certainly take no offence at your questions. You are not the first one, and won't be the last one, to wonder if there is an easy way to convert material from other applications to SwordSearcher.

I don't have a tool to convert modules from other applications, and I just wanted to be clear, Forge will not do it. If you have text from some other application, you have to find a way to export it, and then process the text into the Forge input format, if you want to use Forge. Otherwise, the method is copy-and-paste.

Since most Bible programs use proprietary or encrypted formats for their modules, there isn't a straightforward way to import them into SwordSearcher. There are also legal issues with regard to reverse-engineering clauses in the click-through licenses. Of course, nobody owns public domain material, so you can do what you want with public domain text.

One thing about user-created content in SwordSearcher is that I make it easy to export. You can use the tools on the User menu to export all of your content from a user-created module to an HTML document (or to a Forge file). I don't believe that your material should be "captive" to a SwordSearcher module. I have no idea of other programs have a similar way to easily export their user-created modules. If they did, or you use one that does, feel free to send me a copy of the exported content (not original modules), and I can review it to see if it would be feasible to offer an import function for it.
Thanks Brandon,

That's very kind. I will have a look at the export function in E-sword / Theword.

It seemed to me you were asking Brandon to accomodate the work of another programmer. That's what I reacted to. If that was not the intent, then I misunderstood and apologize.

Back