Memory Verse Lists/Printouts

Eric

Beta Tester
I would find this helpful, does anyone else think it's a good idea?

The ability to save under various names different lists of verses for Bible memory work and then print them out in various formats with various font sizes -- 3x5 card size, 4x6 card size or maybe other user-defined sizes that should be formatted to fit on standard paper sizes (say, 8.5x11 for USA folks, and A4 for others) so the user could cut them out.

Related to this might be the ability to input family members' names/initials and check off dates when they memorized a given passage and then have dates set to go back and review. Maybe that's outside the scope of SwordSearcher, but I think it'd be practical and spiritually beneficial.

Thoughts?

Hi, Eric,

SwordSearcher is a great tool for keeping track of memory verses! I took a quick look at printing them out and this is what I found:

You can print on various sizes of paper with SwordSearcher 5. If you create a user book with the verses that you want to memorize, you can select the paper size in the Printer Setup under File and then print the book panel. (You get to name the book whatever you want and verses are very easy to add.)

The File menu has several print options. You can just select verses (several or even one) to print if you don't want to set up a book. Check it out and see if the available options will work for what you want.

However...

The two things that I was looking for but didn't see were a print preview and margin setup. I did a quick test on a 3x5 inch card with a couple verses to see how it would work. I had two verses in my test book, but I could only print one verse per card. With no print preview, I had to actually print it to see how it would come out. The margins were too big and I couldn't find any place to change them. The only option I found was "Minimal Margins," which was already checked and didn't do the trick. I don't know if that's dependent on my printer or the program, but using other programs, I can print on index cards with the printing nearly to the edge (less than a 1/4 inch border).

I had better luck printing several verses on one 3x5 inch card by either using the option in the File menu "Export Verses to File," or using the option in the User menu "Export User Book," then opening the exported file in another program (Word) and setting up the print layout that I wanted. :-|

However...

The two things that I was looking for but didn't see were a print preview and margin setup.

I use a couple tools that might work for print preview and setup. One is PDF factory and PDF995. They set up as printers so you can print directly to a pdf from any application. If you like the way they look you can print to the printer. PDF995 is distributed freely with TaxCut and PDF Factory is free but puts a small message at the bottom of the file. They have many uses and save me much paper. Many times I will just print to a file to save some output. Later I will generally delete it when it is no longer useful.

Another PDF tool I really like is Foxit Reader as a replacement for Adobe Reader. It has many features in the free version and I like it so much I bought the full version for $39. You can edit, annotate, and draw on existing PDF files. It's also much faster and smaller than Adobe.

Brandon, it would be a great feature to be able to annotate Bible, Notes, and commentary the way Foxit Reader allows annotating PDF's. Try it and see if you agree.

Foxit http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

PDF Factory http://www.fineprint.com/products/pdffactory/?gclid=CLP8pd_zupMCFQo2GgodfTuRCA

PDF995 http://www.pdf995.com/

Thanks, Marty and Bill!
I think I'll make a user book and create different chapters for different memory verse lists. Then I can use the new ctrl-T function to quickly insert the verse text. I do use PDF995, so that's an option for printing user-friendly memory cards, etc. I appreciate your comments.

Back