Implemented! Module Storage Question.

BigEd

Beta Tester
Is there a way to change the default add-on storage module location, say to another drive and directory?

I am trying to prune application-type data files from my system drive onto other logical drives. I'm comfortable with registry modification if necessary...I know I could probably search through the registry to find this out, but I'd ask here first.

Thanks for any help and the *greatest* bible software program!

Ed

There isn't a way to customize the location of created user modules. However, you can move them once they are created to

[SwordSearcher Folder]\User

So if you've installed SwordSearcher to a different drive, you can move your user modules to that folder (create User if necessary) to keep it out of your My Documents folder.

That's exactly the info I was looking for. I haven't yet created any modules myself, but I was looking to move the many I've downloaded from the generous makers here.

I like to sector-image my system drive(s), with just straight-backup on the others, and the SS5 section of the My Documents area is pressing 140MB, so I'll uninstall/reinstall the program on another drive and create the User folder as specified, then copy them there.

For some reason, I thought that they had to reside in the My Documents folder or the program's modules folder. I didn't want to combine them with the program-supplied modules, so to the User folder it will be.

Thanks for the quick reply as always, Brandon.

There isn't a way to customize the location of created user modules. However, you can move them once they are created to

[SwordSearcher Folder]\User

So if you've installed SwordSearcher to a different drive, you can move your user modules to that folder (create User if necessary) to keep it out of your My Documents folder.

Any chance you'll be making it possible to permanently delete the "user" folder from "my docs" for those who want to?

Any chance you'll be making it possible to permanently delete the "user" folder from "my docs" for those who want to?

"Any chance" is pretty broad. ;)

I'd say the chance is very low. There are many good reasons for Microsoft's guidelines with regard to the My Documents folder (and, moving forward with future versions of Windows, storing editable user content in executable folders is problematic), so unless I get a lot of feedback against the current layout, I probably won't change it.

This is only a preference, and I probably will have to bow to Microsoft's recommendations sometime, but I have never -- to the best of my knowledge -- used the My Documents folders for any of my user files (except SS, since I don't know how to get around it). I always have a rootdrive:\Files folder that I fill with my user files in subfolders. I can't firgure out how MS does things -- sometimes there are links and different users, etc., and I just wanted everything in one place (thus I can backup that one folder with contents and I have all my work saved). This is something I haven't done with SwordSearcher. So I vote for the anti-MyDocs setting. ;)

Back