parvo

Hello everyone,

I was looking through what audio Bibles are supported for version 8.3, by looking through https://www.swordsearcher.com/helpfiles/current/index.html?bible_audio_support.html and I also searched the forums, but didn’t see an answer to my question.

Pronunciation accuracy is one of the big reasons (among other reasons) to use an audio Bible, so my question is. What is the most accurate audio Bible module supported in version 8.3, as far as pronunciation accuracy is concerned?

Thanks and God bless,

Peter

I still need to update that audio info page, maybe later today.

I don't know if there is a definitive answer to your question. Having worked through these audio Bibles over the last few months, my opinion is that it's a toss-up between Scourby and McClean.

I have Scourby audio files for my computer and I think he talks too fast. I don't usually do audio for the Bible and I have to find the files, but if I recall correctly, his pronunciation is probably closer to the older type (which incidentally I grew up with). The Cambridge self-pronouncing Bible, which seems to be the same as I what I grew up with. The Bible can be purchased at:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/052116334X/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
There is a pronunciation chart at the front. Someone should translate that old chart into IPA (for both British and American pronunciation).

There is also another system of pronunciation put out in a small book by Harper Collins (which I got rid of because I don't like it) and I don't recall the title.

If you want to slow down a file, you can do it without buying an expensive program. Audacity is free of course. The Amazing Slow Downer by Roni Music is probably better but it is a bit expensive. It's designed for musicians who want to slow down audio files without changing the pitch. I lost my code when I changed to a new computer and you have to have all your info (print out your receipt) to not pay again. For whichever program, you have to set it so the speed is changed but the pitch is not, if you want a slowed - down version. Not too much, a little goes a long way and if you try to slow it down too much, it doesn't sound right anyway. It's great for learning foreign languages, too. You could save each file under a different name indicating it is the slowed down version by whatever percentage you find works. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Paul Mims is the best when it comes to pronunciation! Check him out on Biblegateway, you will see he is the best.

Back