Moving commentary entries to a different module

Regie

I am in process of copying individual module entries from one module to another. Does anyone know of an easy way to move an entry from Module A to Module B without going the long route from copying from one and pasting into the other, which is quite slow?

There is no automated merge function, no.

Regie, you can highlight a module without opening it in the editor - you just have to left-click and drag to highlight instead of using Ctrl a. Then if you open a text document like Word, you can paste to it, copy the next module entry, paste to the text doc, etc. until you get all you want in the text doc, then Ctrl a it all at once to copy it to the new module. I don't know if dragging to highlight all of it would be faster than opening the editor each time, but maybe a step or two could be eliminated by compiling all to an external text doc for the new module.

Regie, you can highlight a module without opening it in the editor - you just have to left-click and drag to highlight instead of using Ctrl a. Then if you open a text document like Word, you can paste to it, copy the next module entry, paste to the text doc, etc. until you get all you want in the text doc, then Ctrl a it all at once to copy it to the new module. I don't know if dragging to highlight all of it would be faster than opening the editor each time, but maybe a step or two could be eliminated by compiling all to an external text doc for the new module.
Thanks much for your reply. I tried it a lot of times and I could not get what you posted to work for me.
Thanks again & MGB,
Regie

Does your cursor turn into an 'I' when you move it across the text in the panel? If it does, then you can copy - I just tried it and highlighted a small area, then did a right-click and selected "copy all" and it copied the whole entry... I pasted it here to make sure that it copied and it did. I had to undo it or you would have had a very long read! I'm sorry if it doesn't work for you. If the cursor stays as an arrow, it won't select any text.

Thanks much for your reply. I tried it a lot of times and I could not get what you posted to work for me.
Thanks again & MGB,
Regie

It should not be necessary to open your entry in the editor to copy from it. Mark-copy is supported in the text panels. Also, you can skip the "select all" step entirely just by right-clicking in the book or commentary panel and choosing "Copy All."

1692099856843.png

Thanks, Brandon! I often wonder how many little gems I'm overlooking - this will simplify things for me, too! 💖

I have tried all the above things and nothing works. Could it be that it will not work in some versions of Windows 10 on an old Dell computer? I think that is what I have anyway? Thanks.

I have tried all the above things and nothing works. Could it be that it will not work in some versions of Windows 10 on an old Dell computer? I think that is what I have anyway? Thanks.
I do use it a lot.... same topic, different verse, so I make one note (commentary) with all the details/ref/inserts/etc, and then use "copy all", and set it for every verse of "that" same topic.
and it works just dandy, i must say. When all my verses are tagged with the new "cat tool", BAM ! all appears in one spot.
SO...have you tried, right clic/copy all/--> new window/Ctrl-v ? (must be in the editor)...
Then "erase" the old commentary, if no need of it.

Last edited:
I have tried all the above things and nothing works.
I'd need a more complete description of what this means to be helpful. You don't see the menu? Nothing copies ever? What if you use other copy functions, like copying a verse with Edit > Copy Verses (F5)?

Clipboard copy-and-paste is pretty basic and I use it all the time in SwordSearcher.

Windows 10 or brand of computer would not matter.

Only thing I can think of is you have some other thing on your computer actively blocking clipboard functionality in SwordSearcher. That is actually possible, and has been a problem with WebRoot as I described here. But that is not very common.

I do use it a lot.... same topic, different verse, so I make one note (commentary) with all the details/ref/inserts/etc, and then use "copy all", and set it for every verse of "that" same topic.
and it works just dandy, i must say. When all my verses are tagged with the new "cat tool", BAM ! all appears in one spot.
SO...have you tried, right clic/copy all/--> new window/Ctrl-v ? (must be in the editor)...
Then "erase" the old commentary, if no need of it.
Nothing works for me. I am in process of having exported the module for Forge and am in the process of updating each entry to show the name of the writer -
</p>Elder Cecil Sandifer???
before the closing html tags such as
</P></BODY></HTML>
if such as at the end of each individual entry. Next I plan to save the work, bring it into Forge and put it back into SwordSearcher. The reason I am using the ??? after the writer, is that I am not sure that he was the writer of that entry, since I am not sure he was on that entry.
Thanks to all of you who have tried to help me on this. May God bless you all.

I'd need a more complete description of what this means to be helpful. You don't see the menu? Nothing copies ever? What if you use other copy functions, like copying a verse with Edit > Copy Verses (F5)?

Clipboard copy-and-paste is pretty basic and I use it all the time in SwordSearcher.

Windows 10 or brand of computer would not matter.

Only thing I can think of is you have some other thing on your computer actively blocking clipboard functionality in SwordSearcher. That is actually possible, and has been a problem with WebRoot as I described here. But that is not very common.
The only thing I can do it seems is to click on the icon at the top of the commentary entry that says "Load all verses referenced in this entry into a verse list" or a right click and then "Load all referenced verses" and it will do that.

Here's a video of what you should be able to do. Mark text with your mouse, right-click and select Copy Selected Text, go to another (editable) commentary, edit, then paste.

How would I check to see what is in and if my clipboard is already full? Thank you.
The clipboard can't be full. Any time you copy something, it replaces the contents of the clipboard.

The Windows 11 system clipboard can contain multiple entries if you have clipboard history turned on. You can clear it in Windows settings. That is probably not the problem though.

Screenshot 2023-08-18 082537.png

@Regie, what anti-virus are you using?

@Regie, what anti-virus are you using?
Norton Anti-virus. As far as I know, that is the only anti-virus that I have. I have another program that I reckon is not anti-virus, called Outbyte PC Repair which has just been updated and is running a scan on my system right now.
You all, don't worry with me more. I have figured out how to accomplish the tasks before me and can make it anyway. :)
May God bless all of you for trying to help this old man solve this problem.

Last edited:
Back