"Obsidian" with SwordSearcher?

Using OneNote in Microsoft 365 as a note taker for all notes. I put everything in OneNote.using it for 8 years now. It seems to have more features than Obsidian.

Christopher
Church planter/ missionary

Yes, I am using it right now this morning. Switched from OneNote because ON has some instabilities in it and is not as flexible as obsidian. Also Ob makes smaller text files that are easier to manage and they are in the common format of Markdown. Great study help to use with SS!

Thanks for the responses. I tried ON several times but it just lacked the normal structural format that I am used to. I got lost in it too easy. My desire is to make "back-links" to items of interest I find in my studies. Obsidian offers a seemingly good way for doing this. I've just not had the chance to see how well markdown works in SwordSearcher but from what I can tell it should do fine. I especially would like to use Obsidian to timestamp video notes and link to them in my personal study notes in SS. Tracking all the resources I come across seems to be my greatest challenge but tying connected thoughts together and then finding them later is my highest goal. I love the idea of the visual "graph" that Obsidian has. Any suggestions for integration techniques with SS and workflow formulas would be welcome. My favorite tool for video notes right now is the "Reclipped" extension for Chrome browser. Obsidian has severas features I would like to see integrated in SS. I'm new to SS still so I may find they already exist in some form or another.

I use the SS tools to study and then put my findings in Ob. From there I can connect links together for words, definitions, tags used for principles, word studies, etc. I put together a full Ob Vault with one entry per verse and then a separate folder (same vault) with all of the word studies. For each verse it detects links for words that I have already studied out and creates a pop up for the link, so I can review very quickly when I am ready to preach. I also put the information back into SS in the user commentary, and I use the "verse pop-up" with the mouse over feature when I preach on the radio. SS helps because it provides context for the verses, while Ob. provides the single verses with all of the notes in one place.

The other helpful thing with Ob is the ability to easily paste in pictures, and the auto-reformatting of any insertions of video, picture, or maps is helpful. There are some good features like pasting in a map with location information and creating your own based on the text your studying. SS is an excellent Bible study tool, but Obsidian is a data-base tool. If you search the Ob forum there are many people already using Ob for their Bible notes.

Those are great uses indeed! I hadn't thought of searching inside of the Obsidian forum for others using it for their Bible study. Great idea! I wish I would have had this combo many years ago. I would have my own personal cyclopedic index built by this time. I want Ob to be my database where most of my resource connections are stored and SS to be my connection to all the relative studies or something similar. I love how I can back-link and tag in Ob as much as anything. The graph in Ob is much like a word cloud in SS to me, it gives me a good "visual" oversight to different topics. Visual prompts work very well for me. Thanks for sharing your insights.

Yes, very useful! I am building a cyclopedic index of sorts as well. I have it broken up as:
1. Verse by verse studies
2. Expository word studies
3. Principle "tags" (or word entries)
You can also make "block quotes" to quote reference material (like church history) so I add books to my database and quote them through out the expositions I create.
Speaking of church history, you also have the option to create timelines, charts, and tables!

Get creative and enjoy! Let me know what you come up with!

Love it all. It's so exciting watching concepts and history "grow" as though putting on flesh. So much is open to our understanding in these last days. It just boggles the mind as the connections to real world events are made. I have a nagging concern always in my mind that we are running out of time for discovery and that much will be left still on the table when He returns. I'll be sure to share any helpful things I come up with for using these wonderful resources.

Yes, wonderful resources! The most important thing though is putting out what God has already given you so the lost world can benefit from the word and salvation in Christ Jesus will spread to those whom Christ died for! Proper balance between study and preaching is a must. We are running out of time. We will be in eternity before we know it. Let's do something for Jesus!

Back