Pocket PC version?

JaeByrd said:
Personally I miss the days of the BBS. Getting to know your SysOp and other fellow "nerds" in the area. It was fun.

You are right, JaeByrd, there was something special about the local BBS's. Much of the same content (downloadable files, games, discussions, etc), but much more civil, and with much more respect. Plus there was the whole "local" aspect - everyone had something in common.

I remember our BBS, we would actually get together and go bowling! It was quite a different story when you were online and you could put a name, face, and kids with a UserName. They were a real person, not just some idiot avatar made from emoticons.

Boy, all this nostalgia is bringing a tear to my eye!

-- Jerry

Lance said:
I found that article on the Commodore 64 really interesting Brandon, and to think I never got one because I didn't like a colleague at work who had one ! LOL

Hey Lance, it's not too late!

http://www.viceteam.org/

Near-perfect emulation of all the Commodore machines - PET, Vic-20, 64, etc. Good stuff.

Jerry

Jerry said:
Hey Lance, it's not too late!

http://www.viceteam.org/

Near-perfect emulation of all the Commodore machines - PET, Vic-20, 64, etc. Good stuff.

Jerry

What is VICE?

VICE is a program that runs on a Unix, MS-DOS, Win32, OS/2, Acorn RISC OS, QNX 6.x or BeOS machine and executes programs intended for the old 8-bit computers. The current version emulates the C64, the C128, the VIC20, all the PET models (except the SuperPET 9000, which is out of line anyway), the PLUS4 and the CBM-II (aka C610).
If you have any comments or bug reports, please contact us at one of the addresses given below.

VICE is under constant change. Anyone interested in helping development of VICE is welcome. Please contact us to avoid doing something that someone else has done already. (-:

Of course our warm thanks go to everyone who has helped us in developing VICE during these past few years.

I have enough "vices" already, Jerry. :D

I bet you got into trouble with your wife.
Wives treat computers as if they were the other woman.

JaeByrd wrote:
I fondly remember the Atari, Commodore, KayPro and Zorba II computers that we used in my youth.

Personally I miss the days of the BBS* ...

One of our richer brethren !
I still label my download folder, "BBS-Internet," although the "BBS" part is no longer functional.

Just one whos homeschooling parents saw that computers were going to be the thing of the future and did what they could to make sure that the 7 of us would be able to use them. We all use computers to some degree in our lives or as our livelyhood. So my Dad was right. :)

Thats the progression of computers I remember. I lost interest in them after that. Until years later and I learned that the best way to beat "computer widow blues" was to join them.

You are right, JaeByrd, there was something special about the local BBS's. Much of the same content (downloadable files, games, discussions, etc), but much more civil, and with much more respect. Plus there was the whole "local" aspect - everyone had something in common.

I think the fact that you could find someone's house and "tattle" on kids doing wrong went a long way to keeping things respectful.

Why settle for an emulation? You can find Commodores for sale in some gaming or used electronics stores for an okay price.

You can find Commodores for sale in some gaming or used electronics stores for an okay price.

Heh -- JaeByrd had to put up with me turning the spare bedroom into a Commodore shrine. I found a Commodore 128 is great condition at a local vintage store. :)

JaeByrd said:
Why settle for an emulation? You can find Commodores for sale in some gaming or used electronics stores for an okay price.

Well two reasons, actually.

First, I have four kids and we are already very cramped for space. I don't think "Hey hon, I went and bought another computer, it's an old one, and oh hey, it has its own monitor which means I'm going to need another desk, so do you really need that space for the sewing machine?" is going to go over too well... :)

Second, I know me, I couldn't stop with just a C64. Once I started I would continue with an Intellivision, then an Amiga 2000, etc., etc.

-- Jerry

bookcover.jpg

http://www.rescueyourmarriage.com/ Only kidding. :D

So JaeByrd is Brandon's missus.

Aye, that I would be.

First, I have four kids and we are already very cramped for space. I don't think "Hey hon, I went and bought another computer, it's an old one, and oh hey, it has its own monitor which means I'm going to need another desk, so do you really need that space for the sewing machine?" is going to go over too well...

:) My sewing machine is stuffed into a small portion of the attic whilst:

Heh -- JaeByrd had to put up with me turning the spare bedroom into a Commodore shrine. I found a Commodore 128 is great condition at a local vintage store.

Our son thinks its great and we have fun times playing some of the old commodore games. B's work and hobbies keep him at home (and me) and I share in them so I don't mind. After a day's work the simplicity of an old Commodore is refreshing I think.

I bet you got into trouble with your wife.
Wives treat computers as if they were the other woman. :D

That was a long time before we were an item!

Back