Pocket PC version?

ssuser

I love the windows version of SwordSearcher, good job Brandon! :lol:

:idea: My question is, will there be a Pocket PC version available in the future? :idea:

Thanks and keep up the good work!

ssuser said:
:idea: My question is, will there be a Pocket PC version available in the future? :idea:

Currently, there are no plans for a PocketPC version of SwordSearcher, but it is something that is always possible in the future.

re: Pocket version ?

Hey, I used to use God's Word for Windows 95! I loved it until I got used to Swordsearcher. It was written by a fellow named Kevin Rintoul. When he told me he wasn't developing the progam, I even tried to buy it from him, but he didn't want to sell.

I'd like a version for Blackberry instead of PocketPC

---Mike

Pocket Version?

Lance stated, "It's odd how people will praise one thing and then want something else," and then went on to state how he uses v3.4 because it is good enough for his use.

I have two comments on this:

1. Lance brings up a great point about "good enough". Especially in the software world, we are constantly looking for "updates" and upgrades, even when what we are using does all we need it to. Part of this is because the developers are often telling us we need it, but another part seems to be an instrinsic need to always be up to date. Now, in some cases this is very important, such as security upgrades to fix vulnerabilities. But in other cases, features are added that you never use, and you end up "bloating" your system with functions that take up more resources (hard drive, memory) and don't provide you with anything improved.

2. I don't see a problem with desiring a Palm/PockePC version of great programs. If the PDA version of the program has a similar interface to the desktop program, you have less of learning curve to tackle. Also, a well designed PDA version might let you share notes files and daily reading programs between the desktop and PDA, or things along that line.

That said, I certainly wouldn't put down a desktop program just because they don't offer a PDA version. Just because you are a good programmer on one platform doesn't mean those skills will transfer to another platform, such as MAC or PDA.

Doug A.

Hi Doug,

I suppose software developers have to live like everybody else. You could say my system is "bloated" since I have two versions of SwordSearcher? (ver. 3.4 and 4.7) on my machine. Luckily, Brandon programmed them to co-exist. Ver. 3.4 is noticeably quicker at both starting and at searching but of course does not have as many features as ver. 4.7. That is why I use the former most.

With regard to Palm/PocketPC's, I have no ax to grind. I just found it amusing that ssuser praised the Windows version of SwordSearcher whilst really wishing for a Palm/PocketPC version.

God bless

PS. "December 15, 2005
What is The Purpose of PDAs? (personal digital assistant)
By David Needle

It looks like business users aren't taking advantage of the power of PDAs in a connected or online mode because they are too hard to use.

At least that's one of the conclusions of a new report released today by Strategy Analytics, which surveyed business users of PDAs and cell phones.

"What we found is that business users aren't hollering for smaller sizes or even more battery life; they've mostly accepted those limitations," Cliff Raskind, director of Strategy Analytic's wireless enterprise strategies service told internetnews.com. "What they're screaming for is better usability."

Which is not to say PDAs like the HP iPaq and Palm handhelds aren't being used. Raskind said the devices are most popular among management and sales people.

"But there are a lot of PIM freaks who use them as a kind of address book on steroids, but they are not using the functions in an [online] mode."

Raskind blames developers and device manufacturers for a failure to improve usability, but says they have a huge opportunity to reach more business customers with better products.

"There is a tailor-made segment of business users with a willingness to pay for services to make greater use of these devices."

Raskind pointed to Apple's iPod as a great example of a device that doesn't try to cram too much functionality but does what it does -- play and navigate music selections -- very well.

With a myriad of different business applications, Raskind says PDAs have to be less all things to all people, and targeted more at specific market segments.

For example, he said content creators, people who need to do a lot of writing on a PDA, place more value on a bigger screen and keyboard, similar to that of the Nokia 9300.

But the stylus interface for accessing dropdown menus is more relevant to professionals using a CRM or sales force automation application where it's more about retrieving information.

Strategy Analytics surveyed 600 business users of cellular devices of which about 25 percent were PDA users.

The research firm says PDA users report strong interest in a basket of value-added services.

"So far, however, a combination of device-centric and network-resident barriers have conspired to suppress attachment rates beyond the initial corner-office inbox junkies," said David Kerr, vice president of the company's Global Wireless Practice, in a statement.

"While improved data economics coupled with expanding device portfolios from Microsoft Mobile partners, Symbian camp evangelists and aspiring Asian vendors all augur well for the future," he added, "no dominant paradigm has yet emerged to transition these PDA users into true converged device solutions customers." "

Ref : http://www.internetnews.com/wireless/article.php/3571396

ssuser said:
I love the windows version of SwordSearcher, good job Brandon! :lol:

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Don't forget us Palm OS users :)

Recomend Bible Thumper

I also am a long time user of SS but have no need for a hand held version.

For those looking for program for a Palm platform I recommend Bible Thumper. It is fast and user friendly I have used it for over a year now and recommend it just as I recommend SS to everyone.

Info: http://www.patdouble.com
support@patdouble.com

I don't know if this is available for other OS.

Re: Recomend Bible Thumper

Ted Snyder said:
I also am a long time user of SS but have no need for a hand held version.

For those looking for program for a Palm platform I recommend Bible Thumper. It is fast and user friendly I have used it for over a year now and recommend it just as I recommend SS to everyone.

Info: http://www.patdouble.com
support@patdouble.com

I don't know if this is available for other OS.

It's not so much an issue of having just any Bible study software available for your PDA (I already have that, I use Laridian's MyBible), but rather it's more an issue of having the same Bible study software available on your desktop as on your handheld. That way you can keep your user notes synchronized and you can have the same resources on both platforms. One of the greatest features of SS is the particular collection of study aids that it has.

The request for a Pocket PC version of SwordSearcher is not unusual -- I think what people who are asking for it are looking for is the same program they are using on their desktop to work on their Pocket PC.

The problem is that software has to be specifically designed for Pocket PCs -- at least software as complex as SwordSearcher is. SwordSearcher can't be easily ported to work on Pocket PCs, so it would require an entirely new project to accomplish.

That, and there are inherent limitations to handheld platforms would require a lot of functionality be "removed" for a Pocket PC version. So at this time there are no plans to do it, because 1: we want to focus on further development of the Windows version, and 2: We're not sure that we can really provide anything different that is already available for Pocket PCs, since a lot of SwordSearcher's features simply wouldn't translate well to the smaller platform.

But again, it's something always being evaluated, and as the Pocket PC platform matures, it may eventually become a feasible project.

Re: Recomend Bible Thumper

[quote="OlliesHappyDad
It's not so much an issue of having just any Bible study software available for your PDA (I already have that, I use Laridian's MyBible), but rather it's more an issue of having the same Bible study software available on your desktop as on your handheld. That way you can keep your user notes synchronized and you can have the same resources on both platforms. One of the greatest features of SS is the particular collection of study aids that it has.[/quote]

I understand the desire to have all of your notes in one place and have all of the same resources available when you study. Do you really us a handheld device to study with?

Would exporting the user commentaries and books to some other program help? I don't know if this is doable? :?:

Limited Markets

I think we have to remember why PCs became so popular. They used to be called IBM? compatibles*, because clones would usually run the same software, based on the Intel? chip.

Until pocket PC versions follow suit and adopt the same standards, software developers will not be encouraged to write software for limited markets.

*A PC that is compatible with the IBM PC and PS/2 standards. Although this term is still used, it had validity in the early days when PC makers were trying to copy the IBM PC, and many PCs were not compatible. Today, PCs conform to standards set by Intel, Microsoft and the PC industry at large.

350px-IBM_PC_5150.jpg

One of the first PCs from IBM - the IBM PC model 5150.

...... more at http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=274

If anyone wants to see a really old pic of a pc -- or what scientists once thought a home pc would be like -- send me an email and specify jpeg or gif.

Blessings...[/img]

THE DADDY OF THEM ALL

THE DADDY OF THEM ALL

ibm-pc-5100.jpg

1975: IBM 5100 - The First IBM PC - Is Released

Click here for those who can't get the pic : http://www.cedmagic.com/history/ibm-pc-5100.html

The little-known IBM 5100 portable computer was released in 1975, six years before the Model 5150 even though the later is often regarded as the first IBM-PC. The Model 5100 used a proprietary IBM processor called the PALM (for Put All Logic in Microcode) which itself was a production version of a prototype processor called SCAMP (for Special Computer APL Machine Portable) developed by Paul J. Friedl at the IBM Palo Alto Scientific Center in 1974. The 5100 shipped with 16K to 64K of memory, used a tape drive for program storage, and depending on configuration the machine sold for $8,975 to $19,975. The programming languages available for the 5100 included BASIC and APL (for A Programming Language).

History

The earliest known use of the term was in New Scientist magazine in 1964, in a series of articles called "The World in 1984". In "The Banishment of Paper Work," Arthur L. Samuel of IBM's Watson Research Center writes, "While it will be entirely feasible to obtain an education at home, via one's own personal computer, human nature will not have changed."

The first computers that can be called 'personal' were the first non-mainframe computers, the LINC and the PDP-8. By today's standards they were big (about the size of a refrigerator), expensive (around $50,000 US), and had small magnetic core memories (about 4096 12-bit words for the LINC).

..... lots of pics here : http://www.pc-history.org/

Brandon Staggs said:
My favorite computer of all-time is the Commodore 64:
http://www.pc-history.org/comm.htm

I found that article on the Commodore 64 really interesting Brandon, and to think I never got one because I didn't like a colleague at work who had one ! LOL

I learned on the Commodore PET in a quiet spell at work, which by then had grown to a "massive 48k" ram and an 80 column screen. One machine had a special chip in it and in order to avoid buying more of these expensive special EPROMs, our electronics dept. cloned several more chips for the other machines.

Machines were in short supply at work but we had a little used 40 column machine but the disk drives were not compatible with the 80 column machines so programs written on the 80 column machine couldn't be transferred to the 40 column machine. This was overcome by loading programs into memory on the 80 column machine, hot disconnecting the disk drive and connecting the 40 column disk drive and storing the program on there (naughty!). Programs were then altered to accommodate the 40 column display.

Another hazard was that each floppy disk was assigned a label and the machine remembered that label so if you were foolish enough to label your disk with a non-unique name such as "1" or "A" and somebody else had used a disk with the same label then data was written to the wrong part of the disk and you lost all your programs.

It all seems so far away now with USB 2.0 and plug 'n play boards yet it is but 21 years ago.

Ah, for the days of my youth, when I played my Atari all night...

I fondly remember the Atari, Commodore, KayPro and Zorba II computers that we used in my youth.

Personally I miss the days of the BBS. Getting to know your SysOp and other fellow "nerds" in the area. It was fun.

PastorTim said:
Ah, for the days of my youth, when I played my Atari all night...

I bet you got into trouble with your wife.
Wives treat computers as if they were the other woman. :D

JaeByrd said:
I fondly remember the Atari, Commodore, KayPro and Zorba II computers that we used in my youth.

Personally I miss the days of the BBS* ...

One of our richer brethren ! :D
I still label my download folder, "BBS-Internet," although the "BBS" part is no longer functional.

*BBS means "bulletin board system." A bulletin board system or BBS is a computer system running software that allows users to dial into the system over a phone line and, using a terminal program, perform functions such as downloading software and data, uploading data, playing games, reading news, and exchanging messages with other users. During their heyday (from the late 1970s to the late 1990s), many BBSes were run as a hobby free of charge by the "SysOp" (system operator), while other BBSes charged their users a subscription fee for access.

Bulletin board systems were in many ways a precursor to the modern form of the World Wide Web and other aspects of the Internet. BBSes were a highly social phenomenon and were used for meeting people and having discussions in message boards as well as for publishing articles, downloading software, playing games and many more things using a single application. The BBS was also a local phenomenon, as one had to dial into a BBS with a phone line and would have to pay long distance charges for a BBS out of the local area. Thus, many users of a BBS lived in the same area and it was common for them to hold a BBS Meet, where everyone from the same board would gather and meet face to face.

Brandon Staggs said:
My favorite computer of all-time is the Commodore 64:
http://www.pc-history.org/comm.htm

Oh, man. I cut my programming teeth on the Vic-20, then moved up to the Commodore 64. What a machine. Then I moved up to the Commodore Amiga. All of those machines were years ahead of their time. I was playing games with stereo sound and 4096 colors while IBM users were still enamored with beeps and 16-color CGA.

You can tell those machines really grabbed me (and many, many others) on an emotional level. They were much more than a machine, they were PERSONAL, unlike the commodity machine I'm typing this on right now.

I see much of this same passion in Mac users now, though for whatever reason that hasn't pushed me to actually go out and buy one.

Ahh, the good old days. And we won't even bring up the whole "Intellivision vs. Atari 2600" wars that I "fought" in my youth. :)

-- Jerry

Back