Problem: change of search box to v. 1; change of Bible Panel focus to to v. 1

Eric

Beta Tester
I am experiencing what for me is an unexpected and undesirable behavior with SS 8.0.1.29. It’s in two parts.

(1) The reference in the search box is changing to v. 1 when it should not. This I can reproduce.
(2) The Bible Panel display also sporadically redraws itself so v. 1 is at the top (moves focus to v. 1). So while you're working away and are going back and forth from, say, the Bible Panel and the Commentaries Panel (selecting things; opening user modules, etc.), suddenly the verse you were using is "gone" from focus in the Bible Panel and you're looking at verse 1 of that chapter. This happens often, and it’s apparently because of the change in the search box, but I cannot figure out what triggers the actual redrawing, so I can’t reliably reproduce it.

To reproduce (1): [BTW, this changing of the verse # in the search box seems to occur when one highlights or copies or otherwise selects words in a verse, say 2Ti 3:11, but my repro steps below illustrate using highlighting as the trigger. Highlighting is not the only trigger. ]
  1. Have verse display set so the “Paragraph Reading Mode” (pilcrow) is turned off.
  2. Go to a verse somewhere other than v. 1 of a chapter; you can just go to approximately the middle of the chapter. Use Alt-G to type in the reference you want to go to, say 2Ti 3:15. It’s best to go to a place where you can see three verses. Be sure that the correct verse reference (say, 3:15, not 3:1) is in the search box above, but it will be if you went there via Alt-G. [You may get slightly different responses if, rather than using Alt-G, you go to the commentary panel and click on a reference there to move focus in the Bible Panel to a certain verse. Nonetheless, after a few selections in various verses, the search box will jump to v. 1 of that chapter.]
  3. Click on a word.
  4. Highlight that word. Watch the search box to see what the reference there is. When I do it, the search box reference often goes to v. 1 of the chapter, but not always (sometimes it waits until I’ve highlighted for the second time).
  5. Click on a word in the next verse and highlight it. Now watch to see if the verse in the search box jumps to, say, 2Ti 3:1.
  6. Click on a word in the next verse down and highlight it. Now watch to see if the verse in the search box jumps to, say, 2Ti 3:1.
This happens so often for me that I'd be surprised if no one else experiences it. If no one else does, I wonder if something on my system is causing it.

I've found that the "Back" and "Forward" buttons in the Bible Panel also don't always remember accurately. Sometimes "Back" takes you not to where you were, but to v. 1 of the chapter where you were. However, it is not a consistently occurring thing. Often it gets it right.

I'd be interested in reports confirming this behavior. I am not able to reproduce it.

Eric, if you have screen recording software and could send me some video of what you've described, that might help. Following your steps above I was not able to reproduce any unexpected behavior.

I am experiencing what for me is an unexpected and undesirable behavior with SS 8.0.1.29. It’s in two parts.

(2) The Bible Panel display also sporadically redraws itself so v. 1 is at the top (moves focus to v. 1). So while you're working away and are going back and forth from, say, the Bible Panel and the Commentaries Panel (selecting things; opening user modules, etc.), suddenly the verse you were using is "gone" from focus in the Bible Panel and you're looking at verse 1 of that chapter. This happens often, and it’s apparently because of the change in the search box, but I cannot figure out what triggers the actual redrawing, so I can’t reliably reproduce it.

Eric, I've discovered that on re-focus, the Bible panel goes to the verse listed in the Go to Verse or Search box. If there is no verse there - like when you first open SS, the panel holds the position where you put it, but as soon as you change verses, chapters or books and the new reference is listed in the box, that's where the panel re-focuses. Could this be how yours is working?

Brandon, yes, I can record the screen, just not today and maybe not tomorrow. As soon as I have time I'll try to get it to you.

Marty, I think I get what you're saying, and I think that's what's happening (no I'm not running for any office :) – just not totally sure of myself on this). However, my problem is that the reference in the search box is changing to v. 1 on its own at seemingly random times.

Got it, and now I understand what you are reporting. Thank you! I appreciate the video you recorded.

Looks like a minor bug with the main search box updating to the chapter start instead of the verse position when the content of the Bible panel is reloaded after a change like highlighting. I'm adding this to the bug list to fix.

Back