Pulpit Commentary

Brother Mike

I think there is an error in Mt 6:14 of the Pulpit Commentary:

Vers. 14, 15.?For if ye forgive men their trespasses, etc. Matthew only. To insert the reason for having said, in the Lord's Prayer, "as we forgive our debtors," emphasizes the necessity of such forgiveness. {cf. also Mt 18:21, sqq.; Mr 11:25; Ecclus. 28:2-4} Trespasses; paraptwmata, not ojeilhmata (ver. 12). Our Lord uses a word which would forbid any limitation to pecuniary matters. Their trespasses. Omitted by Tischendorf, and bracketed by Westcott and Hort (cf. their 'Introd.,' p. 176). The omission more sharply contrasts "men" and "your Father."

Ecclus????

Ecclus = Ecclesiasticus.

Yes, it's a reference to an apocryphal book.

Do any of the Bibles include the apoc? There is some helpful historical info in there.

SwordSearcher does not include the Apocrypha. I might build a book module for it and post it to SSModules.

Ah. I have never really delved in the Apocrypha. I had not heard of that book. I have 1611 facsimile that includes it.

Thanks to all for the explanation. Learn something new all the time. That's a good thing!!

SwordSearcher does not include the Apocrypha. I might build a book module for it and post it to SSModules.

It is not inspired Scripture, but there are some interesting historical content, and you can study it for profit to see where some of our RCC friend's errors originate, so I think it could be a helpful tool.

I also think having a good english translation of the koran, along with perhaps something that explains / discusses / provides a topical reference would be an interesting addition. I definitely wouldn't be in favor of one without the other. But both would be a helpful study addition, especially as I believe witnessing to muslims will be an increasing need as we come closer to the return of Christ.

I can easily see how the 12th imam could present himself and be the (Biblical) man of sin. Eh?

Back