Reindexing?

Jason W. Elder

I have tons of notes in my SS user book & commentary, and the new auto/verse recognizer thingy is great, but why does it take so long to save individual entries? Did the "reindexing" box always pop up? I don't think it did, did it?

The only reason I started using Esword (in addition to SS) was because it's so much faster when it comes to that. (Idea for a new feature?)

I guess my question is, "Is there anything that will speed things up when it comes to saving personal entries?
"

Thanks
Jason W. Elder

I have tons of notes in my SS user book & commentary, and the new auto/verse recognizer thingy is great, but why does it take so long to save individual entries? Did the "reindexing" box always pop up? I don't think it did, did it?

Yes, it's always done that. The new verse parser doesn't change it since that only needs to be done on the changed entry.

When you save a changed entry, the indexing tables for searching and verse linking have to be updated. The only way to avoid it is to remove those features from user modules, which isn't an option.

However, it shouldn't take long for normal use. I'm curious just how big your user module is (file size) and what your computer hardware is like. (Processor speed, memory, etc.)

Did you perhaps add a very long entry (megabytes in size) recently?

There is always room for optimization, of course. I will certainly look into ways of speeding up the re-indexing process.

I agree that creating a user note for a Bible verse should be quicker. Is there a way to have manual indexing for user notes only - like a button that does it on demand or part of the startup or shutdown of SS. Another possibility is not to index user notes and just do a full text search when needing to search them.

I find myself wanting to make a quick note on a verse and then also on the next couple verses. It seems better if you could make all the notes for a session and then re-index. Chances are that you will not need to search for a note that you just created or even for any notes that you made for the session.

It takes about 5 seconds after I hit enter to finish the process for a verse. My user note file is 1.8 mb and I have a new HP 1125 portable running Vista with 4gb of ram and 250gb hard drive. The processor is an Intel duo t5800 at 2ghz. I also use an 8gb thumb drive for Vista's speed boost feature.

Thanks.

I think deferred indexing may be a good option -- just wait to index for text search until it's actually needed.

I'll look into this and see what I can do for the next update.

Both my cmt. and book files are a little over 4MB.

I'm not too swift on the "deferred indexing" thing, but if you say you're going to look into the whole thing, that's good enough for me. I love the program and making that aspect faster would make it well nigh perfect.

Thanks again for your quick response. God bless
Jason W. Elder

I think deferred indexing may be a good option -- just wait to index for text search until it's actually needed.

I'll look into this and see what I can do for the next update.

Brandon, would that slow down the search? It's so lovely and quick now... Could the indexing be done at the start up or shut down of SwordSearcher? Or maybe when another module is opened in that panel? How about an option for a manual indexing to boot? When all the changes in a module have been made, the user could click on the "Index" button and the job is done. Would it be possible to automatically run the indexing process if the module - or SwordSearcher - is inactive for a few minutes?

:)

A couple of comments:

A project I've been working on for the last few weeks involves multi-threaded programming. These days most computers come with more than one processor core, and multi-threaded programming is the way to take advantage of all that power. So, I will look at incorporating what I've been doing in the realm into SwordSearcher to make things like re-indexing faster. There are several steps that go on when a user module is updated that could be done concurrently, so this is an option.

Also, Marty, don't worry about things getting slower. I would never make a change that resulted in noticibly slower performance. :)

I'm bumping this up on my priority list and I already have some ideas on how I can make it faster -- although truthfully most users will never notice the difference, as it's unusual for user modules to end up so big.

It takes about 5 seconds after I hit enter to finish the process for a verse. My user note file is 1.8 mb and I have a new HP 1125 portable running Vista with 4gb of ram and 250gb hard drive. The processor is an Intel duo t5800 at 2ghz. I also use an 8gb thumb drive for Vista's speed boost feature.

Thanks.

Did you mean 5 seconds or 5 minutes? I don't know what all is involved in the program reindexing but it seems to me that the program has a lot to do in the process. E-sword has never seemed fast to me on anything and does not have the capabilities of automatically formatting verses that I know of. I think SwordSearcher runs circles around E-sword myself and is worth a little extra wait (I think you will agree) for it to do it's job but if Brandon can improve it further it would be absolutely wonderful.

I have no use for Vista myself either and I read a few days ago that Microsoft is delaying something about removing XP (or something to that effect) and coming out with a new operating system since they have had many complaints about Vista. Have any of you seen anything to that effect?

I've not meant to criticize what you wrote but just adding my thoughts about it.

MGB,
Regie

I think I mentioned Esword seemed faster at saving entries, but perhaps that was an unfair comparison. After all, I don't have near as many notes recorded on Esword as I do on SwordSearcher (which, of course, is a testament to SwordSearcher's superiority in my mind) because I like SwordSearcher better.

I've since created a New User Commentary alongside my old one. It saves my entries
lightning fast. But i would still like the ability to add my notes to my old commentary/book faster. Bro. Staggs says he's working on that so good luck!

I'm not much of a computer Jenius (sic), so I'll have to leave it to you guys.

God Bless

Jason W. Elder

Jaysun's Journal

Back