Scripture Memory Tool

Ken Sturgeon

Have you ever given thought to implementing a scripture memory tool? That would be a very nice addition.
Thanks very much for SwordSearcher!
:)

I have thought of this often. The hard part is deciding on an effective method that can be incorporated into a functional tool. I am open to suggestions about scripture memory techniques people find effective that could be "digitized."

The way I have done it with SwordSearcher, personally, is just to maintain weekly Bible verse memorization lists in a user book, and review the entries.

Actually, I was just thinking of something as simple as flash cards. I've seen other tools that offer different types of "tests", such as having you type the first letter of each word in the verse to make the whole word appear. I have to admit though, your approach really is simple and painlessly obvious (which is probably why I didn't think of it). If I just list the reference I can mouse over it and see the text in the pop up window; that's really just like having flash cards.

<voice of Rosanne Rosannadana> Never mind! </voice of Rosanne Rosanna Dana>
:)

I have thought of this often. The hard part is deciding on an effective method that can be incorporated into a functional tool. I am open to suggestions about scripture memory techniques people find effective that could be "digitized."
It would be great if I could set a verse or passage reference (or references) that would open in popup-type flashcards when SwordSearcher is opened, and/or that could be operated from within SS. There could be random words missing or phrases missing that would show when touched by the cursor. You could have one flashcard pop up at a time with 'Next' and 'Previous' buttons... And if a person didn't want to select the verses for the flashcards, there could be a 'Random' checkbox for SS to choose verses. That would be very digital. :) (The user should be able to set the duration of the verses in a set to be memorized - especially in the Random option. So the same verses come up each time... And a Keep or Pass option so if a verse comes up that you really don't want to memorize, you can send it on its way.)

Last edited:
It would be nice to be able to put the flashcards into manageable sets, and to have a right-click option for the verses in the Bible panel to send the verse to the flashcards, and to be able to 'sticky note' a flashcard to the computer screen outside of SS, like a Get 'Em Done note. :)

I would love this! e-Sword has a Scripture memory tool. It has a flashcard with the entire verse(s) and it has the following options...
1) Select the correct verse(s) reference
2) Fill in the blank (every time you do it there are different blanks)
3) Word position (you put the words in the right order)
4) First letter (you enter the first letter of each word in the verse and the words will pop up one at a time)

You can ask for a hint and it will keep track of your errors.

It's the only reason I keep e-Sword on my computer. I am much happier with SwordSearcher.

Last edited:
You're right, that is a nice utility in esword... but the only reason I keep it installed is because I purchased several commentaries. I wish there was a way that I could roll them over to SS then I would use it exclusively. If you have a smart phone there's an app called "Remember Me" that's pretty impressive for scripture memory (http://www.remem.me/)

Back