Searching for two words with same / overlapping stem

Eric

Beta Tester
When searching for two different, but similar, words in the same verse (both via F2 and via Alt-L), I'm getting results that seem unhelpful. If I think there's a verse with "uprightly" in it along with "righteous" or "righteousness", I might search for *righ* right*. However, SS7.1 only looks for one word. My thought is that if there is a space in there SS should look for two different words in the verse, not just settle for one, since I have checked "Find verses with ALL of the words specified".

Search for *righ* right*.jpg

However, SS7.1 only looks for one word. My thought is that if there is a space in there SS should look for two different words in the verse, not just settle for one, since I have checked "Find verses with ALL of the words specified".

Unless you specify a phrase, it doesn't matter to SwordSearcher how many times a particular word matches so long as it matches. Each word of your search is treated separately when looking for matches and does not "know" of other words that have matched. The only way to get around that (that comes to mind) is to either use a phrase search (which won't help you in this case) or come up with a RegEx expression that better describes what you are looking for.

In this particular case, I would recommend doing a search for

upr* right*

Which would find what you are looking for and would exclude the verses that don't have upright(ly) in them.

Back