Searching parenthesis in verses

wsbones

Beta Tester
Here's an interesting regex search:
\:\)

Turns out there are 40 smiley faces in the Bible. They look cool with yellow highlighting.

There are 53 winking faces. \;\)

Note that you can also do this with character string search for :) or ;)

Re: Searching

This lead me to take a quick look at how parenthetical sentences are used in the Bible by doing a character string search for (. There's always something interesting to read when you try something different.

This lead me to take a quick look at how parenthetical sentences are used in the Bible by doing a character string search for (. There's always something interesting to read when you try something different.

I used this one to find all the parenthetical phrases that are not closed on the same line. I found 24. Is there a way to highlight all the way to the closing parenthesis on subsequent lines?

\([^\)]*$

I used this one to find all the parenthetical phrases that are not closed on the same line. I found 24. Is there a way to highlight all the way to the closing parenthesis on subsequent lines?

\([^\)]*$

The Regex I came up with is (\([^()]*)|([^()]*\)) which does the beginning and end of parenthetical text even if they span multiple verses, but you have to click the verse tags to see the "middle" text if it spans more than two verses.

Back