Sometimes will not scroll in edit mode

Regie

The only way I have discovered to get it back to scrolling is to take the program down and call it back up again.

Does anyone or Brandon know what might be causing that? I sort of expect it is a problem with my computer and I really need to reboot the thing, but I hate doing that. Any help will be appreciated. MGB.

I'm sorry, I haven't seen any reports of this before now nor have I experienced this. I do not know what that would be. I'm going to send you a private message to see if we can maybe figure something out.

I'm sorry, I haven't seen any reports of this before now nor have I experienced this. I do not know what that would be. I'm going to send you a private message to see if we can maybe figure something out.
It might be best for us to wait until it happens to me again and then I can get my act together and send facts of what is happening and not just rely on what I remember from the past times.

Several times tonight, closing the editor and opening it again, did the trick. It would then scroll again.

Yes! It's not just me. Closing and opening usually does it for me too. I have noticed this when having too many things going on and figure it's because lack of ram and am looking into upgrade. Esp. notice slowdown when Word is open also when doing my usual cut n paste editing. Good luck.~ S

Yes! It's not just me. Closing and opening usually does it for me too. I have noticed this when having too many things going on and figure it's because lack of ram and am looking into upgrade. Esp. notice slowdown when Word is open also when doing my usual cut n paste editing. Good luck.~ S
Very interesting. Lack of RAM just might be my problem too. Thanks much for your reply. Maybe Brandon will have some input on this. I think I will try closing some programs like Word and 4 browser open windows and a few other things I may have running. :) I had not thought of that - guess there is a lack of RAM inside my skull. duh!

Try starting the Windows Task Manager by right clicking on the taskbar in an empty space. Click performance tab. Check your usage when SS and your other apps are running. Check again when you are having the scrolling problem. It might provide a clue.

Task bar right click menu
1653740602595.png

Clicking the performance tab
1653740976304.png

Try starting the Windows Task Manager by right clicking on the taskbar in an empty space. Click performance tab. Check your usage when SS and your other apps are running. Check again when you are having the scrolling problem. It might provide a clue.

Task bar right click menu
View attachment 1898

Clicking the performance tab
View attachment 1899
Thank you much. I have done it when all is ok and have emailed it to myself so I can check it and see if I can figure out anything the next time it does not scroll for me in edit mode.
Did someone here indicate that if you have too many things open at once (which I often do) that this can overheat your CPU? If so, I will try to remember that the next time I cannot scroll in edit mode and take some of them down and try again.

Last edited:
I found a free program for checking the temperature of your CPU. There is another one, but I downloaded a free one just a few seconds ago named Core Temp 1.17.1 - it seems as best I can tell and have read, that I have this scrolling problem when my CPU is overheating. I already had a program for this but it may be (and I think it is) part of a cheap program I purchased. Here is the link to the free one I have just downloaded: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6979-core-temp.html#google_vignette

I found a free program for checking the temperature of your CPU. There is another one, but I downloaded a free one just a few seconds ago named Core Temp 1.17.1 - it seems as best I can tell and have read, that I have this scrolling problem when my CPU is overheating. I already had a program for this but it may be (and I think it is) part of a cheap program I purchased. Here is the link to the free one I have just downloaded: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6979-core-temp.html#google_vignette
Well, I do not like what I read after I installed it, so taking that one down and uninstall it.

If you click the Processes tab in the Task Manager, and then click on the cpu column to sort in descending order, you can see which processes are using the cpu. Next click on Memory to see which processes are using memory in descending order.

The only way I have discovered to get it back to scrolling is to take the program down and call it back up again.

Does anyone or Brandon know what might be causing that? I sort of expect it is a problem with my computer and I really need to reboot the thing, but I hate doing that. Any help will be appreciated. MGB.
Just curious: why do you hate rebooting your computer? I ask, because I've found if I reboot my computer at least once a week, everything on it runs more smoothly. Does it take a very long time? My reboot, at most, takes about 3 minutes, 5 minutes if I make a cup of decaf while doing it.

Just curious: why do you hate rebooting your computer? I ask, because I've found if I reboot my computer at least once a week, everything on it runs more smoothly. Does it take a very long time? My reboot, at most, takes about 3 minutes, 5 minutes if I make a cup of decaf while doing it.
Probably I am most often right in the middle of something that I just do not want to leave. Once a week would be ok (I think you are joking though) but 3 times per day is just too much. :)

Probably I am most often right in the middle of something that I just do not want to leave. Once a week would be ok (I think you are joking though) but 3 times per day is just too much. :)
I'm not joking. Really, I reboot once a week.
But THREE TIMES a day? Okay. I'm groaning with you now. That would certainly be frustrating!

:oops:

You have my condolences!

I think a new computer would likely solve my problem. :) It is just too slow sometimes. To add to it all, lately I have been doing a lot of scanning with one of these stand-up portable scanners and that often has me with open MS Word windows - maybe 5 or 6 at a time or more. SwordSearcher is by far my favorite bible software and my pastors also and he is good at keeping me supplied with work. :) Thanks for your pleasant and peaceful reply. I will be 83 before the end of the year and I intend to keep on working as long as I can. MGB.

Back