SwordSearcher Windows 7 compatability testing

woeger

It has been reported that a beta 1 for the upcoming new Windows 7 (next version of Windows due by end of year 2009) is circulating, and the official beta 1 will be released to developers (and perhaps to the general public) this coming week at the Las Vegas CES (Consumer Electronics Show), or soon thereafter.

I was wondering if Brandon is planning on getting the new Windows 7 beta 1 to do compatability testing for SwordSearcher in advance of the Windows 7 release date?

Since Windows 7 will be replacing Windows Vista, I hope SwordSearcher will run on it when it is released (hopefully) later this year.

I was wondering if Brandon is planning on getting the new Windows 7 beta 1 to do compatability testing for SwordSearcher in advance of the Windows 7 release date?

Yes, as I did with Vista, I intend to get the beta from Microsoft as soon as it is legally available for my use.

Since Windows 7 will be replacing Windows Vista, I hope SwordSearcher will run on it when it is released (hopefully) later this year.
I anticipate no problems. I've been keeping an eye on Windows 7 news from a developer perspective. My understanding is that API changes will be very minimal and the general rule is that if it works on Vista (as SwordSearcher does!), it will work on Windows 7. But I will certainly be doing testing to confirm as soon as the beta is available.

I've installed Windows 7 on a virtual machine and did some preliminary testing of SwordSearcher. So far, everything works as expected. I did some searches, created and edited a user module, etc -- everything is fine. Here's proof: :)

I will of course continue to ensure compatibility with future versions of Windows as Microsoft releases them.

It has been reported that a beta 1 for the upcoming new Windows 7 (next version of Windows due by end of year 2009) is circulating, and the official beta 1 will be released to developers (and perhaps to the general public) this coming week at the Las Vegas CES (Consumer Electronics Show), or soon thereafter.

I think this must be what I was just talking about in another post I just made. I've a friend in Ohio who has had tons of trouble with Windows Vista. As a result I left Vista alone. Maybe this new thing will be much, much better. I've helped him out on the internet with various things using TeamViewer (free and wonderful program at www.teamviewer.com) and Vista is rather confusing to me. I've read reviews of others who rather hated Vista and of businesses who did not want to get it. At least that's my memory of it all.

Regie

For what it's worth, I really like Windows Vista. It's not perfect, of course, and it looks like Microsoft is addressing many of its shortcomings in the new Windows 7. Windows 7 will be a more incremental update, unlike Vista, which was a huge change over XP.

For what it's worth, I really like Windows Vista. It's not perfect, of course, and it looks like Microsoft is addressing many of its shortcomings in the new Windows 7. Windows 7 will be a more incremental update, unlike Vista, which was a huge change over XP.

FWIW -I like it too. It has some great features but it does take some computer resources to run it well. I checked a Vista book out at the library to help the migration from XP.

I have to be honest. Every new version simply seems a scam to make money.

I'll stick w/XP until I buy a new pc, and I'll make sure it comes with whatever the latest software package(s) are at that time.

As long as it runs SS, of course. :)

Brandon, have you tried changing the layout of SS in W7 yet? When I try, the most I can get it to do is full screen the Bible panel, and give me the tabs on the side or bottom for everything else.

Steve

Brandon, have you tried changing the layout of SS in W7 yet? When I try, the most I can get it to do is full screen the Bible panel, and give me the tabs on the side or bottom for everything else.

Steve

What do you mean by "the most you can do?" What can't you do? I just played around with custom layouts for a while and didn't encounter any problems:

Maybe there's a driver issue on your system?

Back