Trouble with TOC

Desmond Allen

I'm having trouble getting the TOC in a Book Module to work. I inserted hyperlinks but they keep linking to the file on my computer. I have not yet figured out how or if I can insert hyperlinks within the SS program.

In the editor use the insert menu item. My module in the example is called _Tpx
1624841076991.png

then select the name of your topic for the table of contents. In this example mine was called _Categories
1624841136617.png

Then name the link.
1624841262556.png

Thanks Bill for the rapid reply, I really appreciate it; this definitely sets me in the right direction. However, I’m still a bit confused by the nomenclature. I’m lost at the idea of a “topic for a TOC”. Is this an overall topic for the TOC, which would be TOC; or a specific topic within the TOC such as a chapter? I’ve tried both to no avail. By default, the name of the Module appears in the field; when I use that and then enter the title of a chapter in the next field it creates an apparent TOC entry for that chapter, but then it does not link to anything.

You need to choose an entry that exists. The "Anchor Text" is not part of the link. If you leave it blank, it will use the name of the entry that you chose to link to.

Thanks Bill for the rapid reply, I really appreciate it; this definitely sets me in the right direction. However, I’m still a bit confused by the nomenclature. I’m lost at the idea of a “topic for a TOC”. Is this an overall topic for the TOC, which would be TOC; or a specific topic within the TOC such as a chapter? I’ve tried both to no avail. By default, the name of the Module appears in the field; when I use that and then enter the title of a chapter in the next field it creates an apparent TOC entry for that chapter, but then it does not link to anything.
I usually create a topic called _Contents. I use the _ so that it sorts first in the list of topic. Then I start creating content for the module like chapters of a book. When I have created all the chapters, I edit the first chapter and insert a link at the top that points back to the _Contents topic. After I save the first chapter, I copy the link and add it to all the rest of the chapters so they all point back to the _Contents topic.

The _Contents topic now needs a link to each of the topics in the book. The best way to do that is to edit the _Contents topic. The in the book window go to the first chapter. Right click anywhere in the 1st chapter in the book window and choose the option to "send link to editor". Do that for each chapter in the book. Here is what that would look lik
1624885080634.png
e:

Attachments

• 1624885038143.png
    1624885038143.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 169
I now realize I need to consolidate my works into one document and create a TOC for them. Unfortunately I have already uploaded a couple of books that will go into this consolidation. How can I delete these modules from the repository?

Here's an example of a TOC that links to different books. This might work for you. Create a table of contents module that links to the books.

1625180430160.png

Notice the book+name where name is a module name in SS
_bookshelf and _contents are the first entries in the referenced book.

Here's the code that produced the picture using the code tab of the SS editor.

<HTML>
<BODY>

<UL>
<LI><A href="swordsearcher://book+FAV/_Bookshelf">Favorite Verses </A>
<LI><A href="swordsearcher://book+JVM/_Bookshelf">J Vernon McGee</A>
<LI><A href="swordsearcher://book+CBB/_Bookshelf">Companion Bible Book Notes</A>
<LI><A href="swordsearcher://book+OTS/_contents">Old Testament Survey</A>
</LI></UL>

</BODY>
</HTML>

Thanks Bill, that is helpful. I've constructed a working TOC for the anthology of my personal works, but now I need to construct a TOC for each of the individual works within the anthology. Sadly, the hyperlinks in place from Microsoft FrontPage HTML editor do not work in SS.

Back