Upgrade version 5.x to version 5.4.1 in Linux

MichaelRankin

I'm running PCLinuxOS 2007 and experienced no issues with the upgrade, just click and go. Everything works fine and the buttons look okay.

Great, thanks for the report!

As well in OSX using crossover. :D

Sorry to report that the black boxes are present in SS 5.4.1 using Crossover Linux version 7.1 on Slackware 12.1...

I was hoping for improvement. Obviously the code base has not caught up to wine 1.1 as of yet. Or they missed the bug...:-(

Also, when a user commentary is created it is created successfully but when you go to use it by clicking on the hyperlink, an error occurs and the program offers to restart, shutdown, etc. So the user commentary feature does not work with SS 5.4.1.2 under Crossover Linux 7.1.

Also, when a user commentary is created it is created successfully but when you go to use it by clicking on the hyperlink, an error occurs and the program offers to restart, shutdown, etc. So the user commentary feature does not work with SS 5.4.1.2 under Crossover Linux 7.1.
It must be Slack specific, I have it running ok in CrossOver under Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS as well as OSX.

I doubt it's Slackware as there is more overhead in Ubuntu than Slack so I do not believe this to be the case. Also, the black boxes were present in a Kubuntu 8.04.1 install. And the commentary issue showed up there as well...

From what I have found it is not a distro-related problem; it appears to be a gnome vs kde problem.

I installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 on a spare machine for the express purpose of installing Crossover Linux and SwordSearcher 5.4.1.2. The install worked and the icons appeared without any black boxes whatsoever. I tried to set up a user commentary but it produced an error message as it did under Slackware 12.1.

I archived the ubuntu installation of swordsearcher using the crossover linux archive feature to use on my Slackware box. And wouldn't you know it, the black boxes appeared again.

Maybe gnome has a library that kde doesn't have. Weird.

Everything works perfectly for me using SS 5.4.1; Ubuntu 8.10; kernel 2.6.24-21 with gnome 2.24.1 and Wine 1.01. :)

From what I have found it is not a distro-related problem; it appears to be a gnome vs kde problem.

I installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 on a spare machine for the express purpose of installing Crossover Linux and SwordSearcher 5.4.1.2. The install worked and the icons appeared without any black boxes whatsoever. I tried to set up a user commentary but it produced an error message as it did under Slackware 12.1.

I archived the ubuntu installation of swordsearcher using the crossover linux archive feature to use on my Slackware box. And wouldn't you know it, the black boxes appeared again.

Maybe gnome has a library that kde doesn't have. Weird.
Odd, as I said, I have running ubuntu=gnome, pclinuxos=kde, both work perfectly.

I do know that wine is faster paced in development than crossover linux. Hopefully in a future release, the wine improvements will trickle into crossover as I am sure they will.

At the moment I just can't pin down the reason for this anomaly. It appears in different desktop environments and distros but not in others.

Maybe I'll just install SwordSearcher in wine to see if there is any improvement.

One thing's for sure: I ain't giving up my Slackware! :-o

I do know that wine is faster paced in development than crossover linux. Hopefully in a future release, the wine improvements will trickle into crossover as I am sure they will.

At the moment I just can't pin down the reason for this anomaly. It appears in different desktop environments and distros but not in others.

Maybe I'll just install SwordSearcher in wine to see if there is any improvement.

One thing's for sure: I ain't giving up my Slackware! :-o
After 6 years of distro hopping, I bought a mac, and I am tickled pink with not having to worry about the latest versions of this that and the other thing. It just works. :)

I've left my dual boot laptop as is with ubuntu and pclinuxos. (best of gnome, and best of kde IMHO) If one of them craps out on an update I'll just park it, it's a 6yr old sony vaio so the hard drive is probably paper thin from all the linux distro's I have installed and reinstalled over the last 5 years. Not to mention the xp reinstalls.

Installed wine-1.0.1 and SwordSearcher 5.4.1.2 installed without incident--although I had to manually install fonts. No biggie. The icons show up with a light blue overlay but they're there. User commentary creation still yields an error.

I'll use wine for SwordSearcher for the time being and Crossover Linux for the other three Bible software apps.

I used to be a Mac user but jumped to Linux in 2002 after 6 years of Mac usage. I enjoy not having to continually buy software and upgrades--though upgrades come over the net now.

Mac is usually the most expensive because Apple gets their revenue from the hardware as well as the software.

It looks good but you pay for the aesthetics.

Back