Who wrote this: "...Lord, let me weep for naught but sin..."

TerriP

Could anyone please tell me who wrote this:

Why, 0 my soul, why weepest thou ?
Oh say, from whence arise
Those sacred tears that often flow
Those groans that pierce the skies?
Is sin the cause of thy complaint, Or the chastising rod?
Dost thou departed friends lament, Or mourn an absent God?
Lord, let me weep for nought but sin, And after none but Thee!
And then I would-oh, that I might! A constant weeper be!

In doing a study on Psalm 119, I found the last two lines quoted in Charles Spurgeon's Exposition of Psalm 119:129-136, then Googled and found the above in "Tears of Christ" by Octavius Winslow. But in both places the lines are in quotes, so I'm not sure to whom credit should be given. (I wanted to footnote the passage in the Spurgeon Exposition.)

Thanks.
Terri P.

Dear Marty

First of all, thank you for your reply! Your link, however, takes me to "The Tears of Christ," and that is one of the places I went to, to check it out... but I can't tell if that poem or lyric is to be attributed to Octavius Winslow or not, since he has it in quotes, and nothing indicative of authorship either before or after its placement in his article. Or did I miss it? Quite possible!

Thanks so much for your interest and help. One day one of us will see it somewhere and go, "Oh, yeah!" and come back here and reply, "Say, remember back in 2008 you wanted to know...." - OR - we can ask Mr. Winslow or Mr. Spurgeon when we see them :)

Marty, you enjoy your blessings today!
Terri P.

Well, as you can see, I didn't read either your post or the link very well! Someone will know the answer!

Back