Wish list for NEXT release

You do prefer the title "Pastor" rather than "Father", don't you? :)

Yes, but I don't really like being reminded I'm getting older... in fact I don't need a reminder.

I already know the three best marks of ageing:

[1] Repeating yourself.

[2] Short attention span / forgetfulness.

[2] Repeating yourself.

[2] Short span of forgetfulness.

[2] Repeating yourself.

...umm...

Sorry. I can't remember the last two. What were we talking about, Father?

Brandon:

Just wanted to say thanks for being responsive to your user's suggestions and producing a remarkable piece of Bible Research software!

Ed

I sometimes wish I was 20 again, but do I really want to start my pilgrimage over when I'm getting so near Home?

It would be like... Never mind, I forgot what I was going to say.

I sometimes wish I was 20 again, but do I really want to start my pilgrimage over when I'm getting so near Home?

It would be like... Never mind, I forgot what I was going to say.

Ah, to have the resources of age, and the source of youth...

Wish list -- "comparison" mode for Books & Comm. pane?

Sometimes I would like to be able to have two books or comm open side-by-side for a particular topic or verse.

You have a "comparison" mode enabled for the Bible pane. Any chance of having this for the Books and / or Comm. panes also?

Re: Wish list -- "comparison" mode for Books & Comm. pane?

You have a "comparison" mode enabled for the Bible pane. Any chance of having this for the Books and / or Comm. panes also?

It's a possible future feature. Thanks for the feedback.

Re: Wish list -- Search capability WITHIN a particular pane

When you have a particular book or comm open -- say a lengthy chapter of a work -- and you simply want to search what's within that particular pane only, using f3 or f4 isn't necessarily convenient (for obvious reasons).

Any chance of having a right-click option to be able to search just within the active Book or Comm. pane?

I think MS Word has an option that allows a person to mark a portion of text within the document and to supply that section with a keyword.

Often there are portions of writings that are very good at making explanation of various subjects. I don't want to copy and paste that (causing duplicate entries of the same thing) into another book or commentary entry but would like to have a way for that portion of the text to appear in the topic listing inside Sword Searcher and for the program to go directly to that portion if I click for it to do so. For instance maybe I've found a portion of a book with an excellent section on "Sanctification" but the book or entry does not have the word "Sanctification" in it's title.

If there were a way, for instance, to have a shortcut key that would allow me to take the underlined portion above and apply a keyword or two or more to that underlined section above and that keyword or words would appear in the topic listings, then that would advance SwordSearcher far, far, far above all other programs that I know of IMHO.

Brandon, do you think it can be done? Anyone else think this would be a good feature if it is possible?

I hope this makes sense - I've had a rather difficult time setting it to music. :) Please let me know if any part or none of it rings a bell.

MGB,
Regie

I think MS Word has an option that allows a person to mark a portion of text within the document and to supply that section with a keyword.

Often there are portions of writings that are very good at making explanation of various subjects. I don't want to copy and paste that (causing duplicate entries of the same thing) into another book or commentary entry but would like to have a way for that portion of the text to appear in the topic listing inside Sword Searcher and for the program to go directly to that portion if I click for it to do so. For instance maybe I've found a portion of a book with an excellent section on "Sanctification" but the book or entry does not have the word "Sanctification" in it's title.

If there were a way, for instance, to have a shortcut key that would allow me to take the underlined portion above and apply a keyword or two or more to that underlined section above and that keyword or words would appear in the topic listings, then that would advance SwordSearcher far, far, far above all other programs that I know of IMHO.

Brandon, do you think it can be done? Anyone else think this would be a good feature if it is possible?

I hope this makes sense - I've had a rather difficult time setting it to music. :) Please let me know if any part or none of it rings a bell.

MGB,
Regie

Some programs which have a spell-checker allow you to add to and personalize the dictionary. Is being able to do that what you are speaking of? Just trying to understand better.

It's an intriguing idea -- the ability to tag text with a keyword. I'll have to look into it and give it consideration.

When you have a particular book or comm open -- say a lengthy chapter of a work -- and you simply want to search what's within that particular pane only, using f3 or f4 isn't necessarily convenient (for obvious reasons).

Any chance of having a right-click option to be able to search just within the active Book or Comm. pane?

" B U M P "

Some programs which have a spell-checker allow you to add to and personalize the dictionary. Is being able to do that what you are speaking of? Just trying to understand better.

No sir - I think Brandon is on the right track in his reply though.

Thanks much,
Regie

" B U M P "

I think Pastor Tim is addressing an issue I have found also.

When using the various search tools, it highlights all the occurences in a section of a book but does not allow you find them. You only get a link to the first one. Then you have to page through to see if there are any more. It would be great to have a find next function within the book section (maybe the grey + and - key) to go to the next occurence in that window.

I think Pastor Tim is addressing an issue I have found also.

When using the various search tools, it highlights all the occurences in a section of a book but does not allow you find them. You only get a link to the first one. Then you have to page through to see if there are any more. It would be great to have a find next function within the book section (maybe the grey + and - key) to go to the next occurence in that window.

Yes, I think so too. Theophilos uses the f4 key for this purpose. I do like the yellow highlighting though that SwordSearcher does.

MGB,
Regie

Wish list - Table of contents?

Brandon, would there be any way to have SS combile a simple text "table of contents" from the various works? I know I can see them all by scrolling down the "books" or "comm" menu at the top, or even via the "view tabs" choice, etc.. But it would be great if there was a way to create a simple text TOC along with it being able to be updated (create a new text doc which simply replaces the old) each time I add new mods. Thanks.

Re: Wish list - Table of contents?

Brandon, would there be any way to have SS combile a simple text "table of contents" from the various works? I know I can see them all by scrolling down the "books" or "comm" menu at the top, or even via the "view tabs" choice, etc.. But it would be great if there was a way to create a simple text TOC along with it being able to be updated (create a new text doc which simply replaces the old) each time I add new mods. Thanks.

Yes, I have been thinking of making a "unified" table of contents tool for some time now. Thanks for your feedback.

I would like to see this also. I often listen to sermons (recorded .. like from SermonAudio.com) and find that I might catch the Book and Chapter but miss the verse. Alt-G gets me close as I am listening but then I must start scanning the screen for the verse.

An iterative search implemented something like Mozilla Firefox ( type / then start typing to find the first hit, then F3 jumps to subsequent hits, etc.) would be most excellent indeed. Then I could just begin typing a unique word from the quoted verse to home in on the place in the text without loosing concentration on the sermon. I use that feature in Firefox very frequently and it is a joy to have.

Thanks for listening,
Danny

I would like to see this also. I often listen to sermons (recorded .. like from SermonAudio.com) and find that I might catch the Book and Chapter but miss the verse. Alt-G gets me close as I am listening but then I must start scanning the screen for the verse.

It will be in the next release.

Back