Word Association

tr21

Happy New Year Friends!

Just thinking out loud... Maybe it's already there and I missed it, but would including a method for the user to associate words, such as foreign words, to its English counterpart that would link to all the various dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc. be useful in the future? It's like having a personal dictionary, like many Word Processors have.

Using a very basic example... Associating the Hebrew Word "Shalom" in a text to the English Word "Peace" so when clicked, it would present the various commentaries and reference books on the subject of "Peace".

Thoughts?

Warmest regards, Tim

A custom thesaurus that can be integrated into the search functions... intriguing idea. Thinking aloud, I wonder if there is a good time-honored source to set up a basis for this. I've often thought it would be helpful to provide some kind of mapping from common words like "trinity" to the more Biblical words like "Godhead," sort of a short-cut through a topical concordance like Nave's.

It would be very helpful in a study to see fully all that is said about a subject, even when the base words are different, so -- YaY! I hope this is a successful project! Thanks, Tim & Brandon, for thinking out loud!

YAY!!! Indeed 😁

Brandon and All,

I did a little experimenting and found that many words seemingly do synchronize. However, there are a few words that do not - probably because of special characters or unknown foreign word. It would be helpful if the user could add words that are not synchronized and associate them to its English counterpart in a tailored User - Thesaurus or the likes.

Thoughts?

Warmest regards, Tim

The thing about a thesaurus is that it shows associated words that I don't know or haven't thought of, and that would be the beauty of having a custom 'SwordSearcher' thesaurus. So, if I don't have to search my mind for associated words, my study would just flow - kind of like the word trees. Any way it ends up, I like the idea and am sure that if Brandon puts it together, it will be inspired and useful.

Marty,

Good point. I tried the Word Tree - didn't quite do the job, merely grabbed a variety of words from the verse in additon to the actual word selected.

Blessings to you, Tim

The Word Tree is a great way to follow a particular key word or phrase - it has a 'flow' - that's what I meant when I referred to it. It's a good place to immerse yourself in a specific word or phrase and see what Scripture says, but it's not a thesaurus.

I love your idea of a tool for associated words. :)

Back