Implemented! module location

wsbones

Beta Tester
I'd like to be able to specify the location(s) of the SwordSearcher User Modules.

This would allow me to take advantage of the "cloud" storage that's becoming available like SkyDrive or Google Drive. The modules would still be on the hard drive but would be backed up to the cloud and be available to other PCs/devices.

I'd like to be able to specify the location(s) of the SwordSearcher User Modules.

This would allow me to take advantage of the "cloud" storage that's becoming available like SkyDrive or Google Drive. The modules would still be on the hard drive but would be backed up to the cloud and be available to other PCs/devices.

Noted. Is it possible with those services to specify which folders you want to sync up with your cloud storage? Is this request simply so that it would be possible to have multiple locations of user modules?

Noted. Is it possible with those services to specify which folders you want to sync up with your cloud storage? Is this request simply so that it would be possible to have multiple locations of user modules?

I was not thinking of multiple locations but that might be nice. I would like to specify the directory where the modules reside.

Perhaps the user modules could be like the audio files so they could be in sub directories under a given directory.

With the skydrive it seems you can specify one directory that will be synced to the cloud and anything inside it will maintain its structure. By default it is located at %userprofile%\skydrive. I'd like to be able to put the user modules in that directory. I'm not sure what the other cloud storages allow.

I was using Windows Live Mesh before which was more flexible, but I see that Microsoft is going to get rid of that in favor of skydrive.

Thanks. I'll make this a priority on the to-do list.

Update. With version 7.0, it is now possible to specify additional module locations and also change the "default" location out of the user documents folder, under File, Preferences, Module File Locations. If you want to use this feature please be sure to read the help file section about it.

module file locations.png

Brandon,

I just installed SS 8 on another computer (on a VirtualBox VM on a Mac). The OS is Windows 10 Home. I copied my settings and user modules from the other machine (same setup - Mac Host with Win10 guest on VB). To do so I first launched SS and made a "Test" user module.

I did that because I did not see the SwordSearcher User Modules folder in the User's Documents folder. So, when I did the "Test" user module, SS apparently created the missing folder and put the "Test" Module in there.

So I deleted that "Test" module and copied all my other modules into that same SwordSearcher User Modules folder. Then I loaded the settings file I had just saved from the other computer.

I launched SS the first time and seemed OK: the settings worked and the user modules were accessible. But … now every time I shut off SS, it "forgets" where the user modules are and I have to go back and tell it where they are and relaunch. It gets it right one time, then amnesia.

The Module Load Error Log has this:

The Bible highlighting data file location "C:\Users\UserWin10\Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules\" is not available.

The module location "C:\Users\UserWin10\Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules\" is not available.​

Is there something with permissions in Windows 10 that I need to tweak? Or something else causing this? I don't understand what's different on this machine.

Thanks!

Edit: added screenshot.

Module file location.png

Sorry – I found the problem.

It was that I was loading the SwordSearcher User Modules locations from the other machine, too. When I uncheck that option when loading settings, all is well.

I was the problem! Sorry to have used up time and forum space.

I love SwordSearcher!

Back