Auto-hide feature (custom layout)

Eric

Beta Tester
Hi, Brandon,
I made and saved a custom layout. I had it so that whenever I chose to edit a user book/commentary, it always put the edit window in a certain place on my desktop from which I had moved "regular" SwordSearcher windows. Very nice. Of course, to do that I selected "Enable Custom Layout" on the View menu, and then (whether needed or not), I went to File>Preferences and selected "Allow auto-hide feature with custom layout". I think I hit some combination of keys today, and now whenever I try to edit a user book/commentary, I can no longer see the edit window. I assume it has been "auto-hidden" somewhere off the screen :(. When I go back to the normal SwordSearcher layout, all is okay. I have changed preferences back so "Allow auto-hide feature with custom layout" is no longer checked. I restarted SwordSearcher. But I cannot figure out how to get that window back when I'm using my custom layout. So...two questions:

(1) Any idea how to get the window back?
(2) Based on what I've described should I even have had that "Allow auto-hide feature..." item checked or not?

Thanks so much!

Hi, Brandon,
I made and saved a custom layout. I had it so that whenever I chose to edit a user book/commentary, it always put the edit window in a certain place on my desktop from which I had moved "regular" SwordSearcher windows. Very nice. Of course, to do that I selected "Enable Custom Layout" on the View menu, and then (whether needed or not), I went to File>Preferences and selected "Allow auto-hide feature with custom layout". I think I hit some combination of keys today, and now whenever I try to edit a user book/commentary, I can no longer see the edit window. I assume it has been "auto-hidden" somewhere off the screen :(. When I go back to the normal SwordSearcher layout, all is okay. I have changed preferences back so "Allow auto-hide feature with custom layout" is no longer checked. I restarted SwordSearcher. But I cannot figure out how to get that window back when I'm using my custom layout. So...two questions:

(1) Any idea how to get the window back?

The custom layout option shouldn't have any affect on the user editor at all -- the editor is not part of the docking layout and is a separate window. Also, the position of the edit window is saved regardless of that option setting, so you should not need to enable custom layout to save the position of the edit window.

If the edit window is actually off-screen, you should be able to access it on the Windows task bar. If you have XP or Vista, it has it's own button on the task bar, and you can right-click the button and select MOVE to try to move it with the cursor keys. In Windows 7, the edit window is stacked on the task bar with the SwordSearcher icon -- hold the mouse over the SS icon, then right-click the editor window preview image for the Move function.

Though honestly, I can't imaging how the user editor would have been pushed off the screen.

(2) Based on what I've described should I even have had that "Allow auto-hide feature..." item checked or not?
You do not need that item selected, either. Auto-hide is an advanced option that I would not recommend for most people. It doesn't need to be enabled for custom layouts and doesn't have any affect on the user editor.

Thank you so much, Brandon. Today it seems to have returned to normal, although I have no clue what I did or didn't do that changed things. In any case, it was good that you reminded me to look at the bottom in the task bar. I don't think the edit window SS icon was showing up there yesterday when I was having problems, but I didn't focus on that, so I can't be sure. I often switch between programs, and I often intentionally select one or the other of the two SS icons in the task bar (assuming I left the edit window open), when I return to SS.

Thanks for your quick help!

Back