English-Strong's Indexer and Scan Text for Verse References

Eric

Beta Tester
I used the English-Strong's Indexer (Ctrl-F2) and searched for the English word "always" in the NT. I did Ctrl-A, then Ctrl-C to copy all. I counted up an approximate number of the verses found, and it's about 35.

After that I selected the Scan Text for Verse References (Alt-F5). I did Ctrl-V to paste in the information from the English-Strong's Indexer. Then I selected "Load verses into Verse List Panel and Close". It says 106 verses were loaded.

It seems that verses have been added. I note that in the E-S Indexer the "i." is yellow in a couple of places, and I wonder if that has to do with the problem.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Also, for my purposes, I wish I could just tell the E-S Indexer to "expand" the verses from the references right within it so I could just copy all from it and paste into a word processor. Maybe that capability is there, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks!

I used the English-Strong's Indexer (Ctrl-F2) and searched for the English word "always" in the NT. I did Ctrl-A, then Ctrl-C to copy all. I counted up an approximate number of the verses found, and it's about 35.

After that I selected the Scan Text for Verse References (Alt-F5). I did Ctrl-V to paste in the information from the English-Strong's Indexer. Then I selected "Load verses into Verse List Panel and Close". It says 106 verses were loaded.

It seems that verses have been added. I note that in the E-S Indexer the "i." is yellow in a couple of places, and I wonder if that has to do with the problem.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Also, for my purposes, I wish I could just tell the E-S Indexer to "expand" the verses from the references right within it so I could just copy all from it and paste into a word processor. Maybe that capability is there, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks!

The scan tool is very aggressive in converting text to verses. You'll see that it converted the i. (in all the i.e.) to a chapter reference for the previous book and therefore loaded all the chapter references into the verse list.

When I right click on a verse in the indexer, there is an option to load all verses into a verse list. It loaded 34 verses for me.

When I right click on a verse in the indexer, there is an option to load all verses into a verse list. It loaded 34 verses for me.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Excellent. Thank you, Bill! That solves my problem. Of course, there was a way to do it, I just didn't see it :)

There is one inconvenient thing about this: it loads the verses in Bible order rather than in the order in the English-Strong's Indexer. I would like to have the verses all expandable in the E-S Indexer. Then I could just cut and paste and I have all instances of a give word with each entire verse in the right order. Is that something that would be a reasonable enhancement, Brandon?

There is one inconvenient thing about this: it loads the verses in Bible order rather than in the order in the English-Strong's Indexer. I would like to have the verses all expandable in the E-S Indexer. Then I could just cut and paste and I have all instances of a give word with each entire verse in the right order. Is that something that would be a reasonable enhancement, Brandon?

I found workaround: select all from the E-S Indexer and paste it into the Scan Text for Verse References window. Then just delete all the non-reference data and select "Load Verses into Verse List Panel and Close". That way you don't get the extra verses, but you get the list in order.

In the next update, the behavior of loading verses is going to be changed so that they appear in reference order instead of chronological order.

Back