Video Find Related Verses tool

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
This video demonstrates using the Find Related Verses tool to discover cross-references in Scripture and get interesting ideas for Bible searches.

Can also be viewed here.

Wow, powerful tool :)! Thanks for the video.

I've used this tool to get a list of related verses for my 'Margin Notes' commentary. In preferences, I set one of the 'favorite commentary' verse widgets to Margin Notes so it's always available to add to or to view. After getting the list of related verses, I right-click and select 'copy all verses from verse list', and then paste them into Margin Notes for the key verse. (With 'footnotes' toggled on in the search results box, any footnote information goes into Margin Notes with the verses.) Afterwards, the verse list shows as a preview when I hover the cursor over the widget or over the commentary link next to the verse. And now I have the best Reference Bible in the world! Thanks, Brandon!

Marty, your post gave me an idea for a new feature.

After having found a good search using the related verse tool (or any other way), if the search result window had a right click option to send a search link to the editor, one could make the actual search part of the "margin notes" commentary. It would not give you the footnotes or text when hovering the widget, but it would save a lot of verse duplication and it would be a record of a fruitful search.

This is how I do it:

Thanks for the video. I do it similarly, but I was thinking it takes a more space, time, and probably resources to have all the actual verse links rather than a note (for example) on Lev 19:18 (first place) which actually does the search on request. Something like See love neighbour.

I usually do this in the editor by using the "link to Bible search" option in the insert menu. But, the search result window know the logic that produced it so it seems natural to make a link.

There is a benefit for having the actual verse links though. They then are subject to the "deep referencing" feature.

http://forums.swordsearcher.com/swordsearcher://search+KJV/love neighbour
Also, the commentary and book windows have the "send link to editor" so it seems logical for the search window to have a similar feature. This would be especially useful if you found a good related verse search to put a search link in the user commentary for the verse.
In any case SS does the job :)

Also, the commentary and book windows have the "send link to editor" so it seems logical for the search window to have a similar feature. This would be especially useful if you found a good related verse search to put a search link in the user commentary for the verse.

I agree, and it's on the to-do list. :)

Back