minor highlighting enhancement

Eric

Beta Tester
Brandon,
Something I think many of us would find useful is the ability to mark omissions in a Bible text. I'd like to be able to insert some character or emoticon or something in a Bible text I'm looking at in a non-Received Text or non-RT translation to mark that it omits something. For example, in Mt 18:15 and Lu 17:3 "against thee" is not in the critical texts or translations from them.
Mt 18:15 (KJV) Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
Lu 17:3 (KJV) Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.​
Say I compare the WH module or the NASB to the TR module or the KJV. I see that something is missing, and I want to mark it. I think the "pipe" character or something else would be good here. I have tried marking the word before or after with some highlighting format, but that is not optimal. I've inserted the pipe character in the examples below.
Mt 18:15 (NASB) "If your brother sins |, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother.
Lu 17:3 (NASB) "Be on your guard! If your brother sins |, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.​

If this were implemented, it would be nice if one could search for this "highlight" format.

EDIT: Maybe even some user-defined character or string would be good, e.g., "[OMISSION]" or similar.

Last edited:
Thanks, Eric, for your suggestion. I appreciate it.

Another thought along this line would be to insert a superscript character or number that could be referred to in a user note.

Also in the editor it would be nice if a selected highlight color could be "sticky" so you didn't have to choose it each time. It could be applied to a selected text just like in the Bible window.

Of all the things I'd like to see in SwordSearcher, this highlighting enhancement probably is the one that I miss the most. I'd love to be able to insert something like this ⊥ ("up tack") or this ⊤ ("down tack") where a given translation is missing something. (I found them in math symbols and have no clue what they mean to mathematicians.) I think the "up tack" is better since there is no letter like it. The "down tack" looks too much like the letter "T".

I think others would love it, too.

Back