Move all user settings and modules to SS on Mac via CrossOver

Eric

Beta Tester
Hello, Brandon.
I'm thinking someone else might want to do this in the future, so I thought I'd post this here. I want to start using SS6 via CrossOver on my Mac. It installed just fine in CrossOver, but none of my settings, etc. are there. They are still on a virtualbox.org virtual machine (XP) on the same Mac.

How can I get all my SS6.1 settings (custom desktops, highlighting, etc.) from a Windows XP machine and move them to SwordSearcher 6.1 on a Mac using CrossOver? I guess there are two things I need to know: (1) where the user-specific files are on the Windows machine are and their names, and (2) where they should be copied to on the CrossOver virtual machine.

Also, I think you said that starting with Vista (?) user modules are better no longer in the Program Files>SwordSearcher>Modules directory, but in a directory (folder) that all versions of Windows recognize as writable. Mine are still in the old place. How best to sort out what is a user module and what is not so I can move the editable ones to the better location?

Regarding settings:

Most settings (font sizes, etc) are stored in the system registry. There is no easy way to move those to a new system (it can be done manually if you know how to use regedit, but that is potentially dangerous so I don't suggest it). Windows has settings transfer tools (for people going from one version of Windows to another on a different PC) but I don't know if you could use them with the Mac Crossover stuff and have no way to find out.

Custom desktop layouts are a combination of registry and file data stored in the system "application data folder." I do not recommend trying to transfer those to a different system. It would be better just to recreate and save your layouts on the new system.

User modules and highlighting data (this is easy): (from the default location for SS 5.0 and onward)

User highlighting data is stored in the same manner as user module files, both of which can be easily copied.

All of the user modules and the user highlighting data file are stored in your Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules folder. The exact location and name of this folder depends on your version of Windows and other settings, but should be easy to see in Windows Explorer. Just copy the contents of that folder to the new computer in the same subfolder from your user Documents folder, and you should be good to go.

If you are storing user modules in the old 4.x manner:

Yes, you can still technically put user modules in your program files folder, but starting with version 5.0 this is not recommended any more and SS will not create them there any more. Copy your user modules from your older computer to the new computer but put them in the Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules folder instead of the program files folder(s).

As far as determining which ones are editable, you can see a complete list of the user modules you have running by going to Help > Installed Modules and scrolling to the bottom where it will list "User-Editable Modules."

For "third-party" modules, which may or may not be editable, and may or may not be installed in Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules ... you can just copy their module files from the old computer to the new one in the same location. If you've added a bunch of these it might take some time to sort out, but the easy way (I think) would be just to install 6.1 Deluxe on the new computer, then grab all of the module files from the old computer and copy them to the new one, skipping the files that already exist on the target machine.

Thank you, Brandon. When I have bit of time to do it, I'll try to get it done. And I'll take your advice re: the layouts. I had some special layouts on the Win XP machine, but with some tweaking I should be able to do it again. Thanks for a very useful program. Even though I use Mac a lot now, I have to have SwordSearcher! Having it on Mac via CrossOver will even better.

Back