NASB Add-On Module Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkernathan

I primarily use the KJV in my Bible studies (which is a big reason why I love SwordSearcher since it's unparalleled in its searches of the KJV).

However, for those of you who own SwordSearcher, did you still buy the NASB addon? I'm trying to decide if I want to buy it or not.

Thanks!

I primarily use the KJV in my Bible studies (which is a big reason why I love SwordSearcher since it's unparalleled in its searches of the KJV).

However, for those of you who own SwordSearcher, did you still buy the NASB addon? I'm trying to decide if I want to buy it or not.

Thanks!
I'm quite partial to the KJV and haven't felt a need to get the NASB. The KJV is an old, trusted friend.

Most of us who bought Swordsearchers are KJV guys I would think, meaning we believe God has preserved His word in the English languages in the King James Bible. So you get that spirit and theology in the programme, not like other programmes you use. I am very greatful it is not bloated with modern versions (theology) and would not want it to go that way. Just my own two cents added🙂

Kind regards
Christopher

I'm pretty much using the KJV exclusively now (I did in high school, had to use modern translations in seminary, but glad to be back to just using the KJV).

Even though I work for a major Bible software company, I still use SwordSearcher daily. Brandon has done a fantastic job with searching the KJV with it. When I need to find something in the KJV, SwordSearcher is so intuitive.

I'm pretty much using the KJV exclusively now (I did in high school, had to use modern translations in seminary, but glad to be back to just using the KJV).

Even though I work for a major Bible software company, I still use SwordSearcher daily. Brandon has done a fantastic job with searching the KJV with it. When I need to find something in the KJV, SwordSearcher is so intuitive.
I'm curious, why did you feel you had to use modern "versions" in Seminary? I never did.

There were specific classes/assignments that required "use of a modern translation" in such assignments. In my Greek/Hebrew classes, we were also stuck using the BHS/UBS5/NA28. I always keep a TR and TBS Hebrew OT around to cross-check the stuff personally. What's good is I got enough exposure to the stuff that I got to see firsthand why I wouldn't use it personally.

There were specific classes/assignments that required "use of a modern translation" in such assignments. In my Greek/Hebrew classes, we were also stuck using the BHS/UBS5/NA28. I always keep a TR and TBS Hebrew OT around to cross-check the stuff personally. What's good is I got enough exposure to the stuff that I got to see firsthand why I wouldn't use it personally.
Interesting.

Honestly, I'm not sure how you can "compare" two different things that portend to be the same, when they are in fact different.

But that's just me.

If I had Seminary to do over again, with what I know now, everything would be different.

But - Ah! That's why hindsight is always 20/20.

God bless your studies. I hope you find SS as effective and useful as I have over basically 30 years of use & beta testing.

Same for me on seminary. I'm about to graduate, but if I could have a do-over, I would have looked in a more KJV/IFB instead of SBC direction, but at the time, all the IFB seminaries I looked at weren't accredited (they are now, although one of them is now pivoting away from KJV usage and going from being IFB to more SBC).

Same for me on seminary. I'm about to graduate, but if I could have a do-over, I would have looked in a more KJV/IFB instead of SBC direction, but at the time, all the IFB seminaries I looked at weren't accredited (they are now, although one of them is now pivoting away from KJV usage and going from being IFB to more SBC).
Accredidation has it's place, but it really comes down to who you are studying with, and what approach you take to your education.

I really shoulda gone into teaching...

I did get to study under some respected scholars, and I am thankful for that. I hope to go into teaching, although the good news is the Lord is providing for me financially even if it's a little bit before I start teaching.

I went ahead and purchased the NASB Addon, although I still use the KJV most of the time in SS. I've given most of my non-KJV Bibles away after graduating from seminary, but I still have one NASB95 in leather I've kept. Having the NASB in SS is useful if I need to consult it.

I still prefer the KJV though and use it as my translation of choice now that I'm out of seminary and don't have to use a modern Bible for any research projects. Textually it's superior, and I love the beauty of the KJV. I've also been donating regularly to Trinitarian Bible Society now to assist them with their Bible distribution projects, and SS could be a good outlet to offer some of their content in the future.

I wouldn't use it much, but the MEV would be an interesting addon for SS as well just for those of us who get asked about the MEV compared to the KJV and need a way to quickly consult it.

I wouldn't use it much, but the MEV would be an interesting addon for SS as well just for those of us who get asked about the MEV compared to the KJV and need a way to quickly consult it.
There's no comparison. Just stick with the KJV.

True on the KJV being far superior. The only reason I'd potentially be interested in having the MEV in SS is so I could show people the difference and the superiority of the KJV using SS. It's a question I get asked that if I textually promote the KJV, why don't I recommend the MEV. I'd love being able to demonstrate why.

True on the KJV being far superior. The only reason I'd potentially be interested in having the MEV in SS is so I could show people the difference and the superiority of the KJV using SS. It's a question I get asked that if I textually promote the KJV, why don't I recommend the MEV. I'd love being able to demonstrate why.
I don't usually try to go too deep any more. I'd rather preach the Word than tell you why I choose the KJV.

Not that I can't offer a defense, but in most cases, for the peeps in the pews, it's not going to be an issue.

If I were a preacher, I wouldn't mess with the debate either and spend my time preaching the Word as well, as that would be my focus for my congregation. Since I went into the biblical scholar field and got a PhD, I'm kind of stuck into getting deep into the defenses. But maybe it's a good thing I did. We could use some present-day Burgon's, and maybe I can help fill that role a little bit.

I keep all of Trinitarian Bible Society's content at my fingertips and send those out when I get questions. I love their material. I've started giving them a small donation each month to help their mission. Their Westminster Reference Bible and Daily Light are two good resources that I'd use in SS. I read Daily Light every day, and I've been using their Westminster Bible for my read the Bible in a year this year.

Do you think that if Bibles with inferior translations were included in SwordSearcher, it might confuse some people and draw them away from the KJV?

Do you think that if Bibles with inferior translations were included in SwordSearcher, it might confuse some people and draw them away from the KJV?
I have used other versions when trying to make a point concerning translation or theology. That said, I know Brandon has a strong stand on the KJV and I have long ago settled the issues I had, so if other versions are included, the program grants me full control over what I see and use.

I have also used other translations at times (not often) when listening to a preacher. But, just not often.

I was thinking about new Christians or people who don't realize that every not every Bible is a good translation - especially as a lot of churches use 'modern' translations for whatever reason.
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. (Ephesians 6:12)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back