No word wrap on user edited modules

S. Carpenter

I'm not able to make word wrap happen on user editable modules. This has not happened before in about 4 years of use.
I just upgraded my computer to Windows 10 (from Win 7). Is there something I should know to make it work?

In editable modules, non-breaking spaces seem to just "show up". I usually switch to Code Mode (Alt-C or tab at bottom of edit window) and do a Search and Replace (Ctrl-H or Search>Replace in menu) searching for the characters   and making sure I have one and only one space in the "Replace With:" field. Then after pressing "Replace", I click on "Replace All".

After you are done in Code Mode, you can go back to the Design Mode with Alt-D.

1664999708941.png

In editable modules, non-breaking spaces seem to just "show up". I usually switch to Code Mode (Alt-C or tab at bottom of edit window) and do a Search and Replace (Ctrl-H or Search>Replace in menu) searching for the characters   and making sure I have one and only one space in the "Replace With:" field. Then after pressing "Replace", I click on "Replace All".

View attachment 1919
I write " " in "Text to Find", only one space in "Replace With" then hit "Replace..." button and get "Text not found:  " or "Text not found: nbsp;" with the only option "OK" button.
I know I'm in the code mode because it looks like html type coding to me. I tried using the Search and Replace menu to make sure my shortcuts weren't doing something wrong and I get the same response. "Text not found:  ".

Suggestions?
[Edit: to add information]
When I'm in the Code Mode editor to do the search and replace function, the lines are word wrapped. It's only when I close out that they are no longer wrapped.

Last edited:
There is likely something in the HTML, maybe left from pasted-in text, causing this. There are any number of ways that HTML can force text to be non-wrapped. To rule out that possibility, use the style-and-format cleaner.

1665089132075.png

There is likely something in the HTML, maybe left from pasted-in text, causing this. There are any number of ways that HTML can force text to be non-wrapped. To rule out that possibility, use the style-and-format cleaner.

View attachment 1920
That, after using the other for all other entries, did the trick! Thank you, Eric and Brandon, both!

View attachment 1919
Thank you, Eric. There was only one part that it wasn't working on. All the rest were corrected. Using the format cleaner was the ticket to make that last one go away.

What is interesting about this, is that when I simply type the text in as I am doing right now (no copy and paste action) it does the same thing. At this point though, as soon as I see that after saving what I wrote, I just go back in and use the style-and-format cleaner, and it takes care of it. So I'm satisfied and happy to have a solution. Just thought I'd let you know it is also happening with straight typing.

Just thought I'd let you know it is also happening with straight typing.
Does it do this on a brand new entry that has never had anything pasted into it before?

Does it do this on a brand new entry that has never had anything pasted into it before?
At best, intermittently. If I could get it to always be one way or the other I'd show you screenshots. I just made a test entry that has never been done before on Genesis 24:1 (my own notes) and the word wrap was fine, though. So now I'm doubting my memory. I remember making a new note -- but can't remember if I had erased something I had previously written or started fresh. I might very well have erased, and if so, it would make sense that there might be a word wrap issue if there had been html in the previous note that I was re-writing. I'm sorry to be so unclear on this. It doesn't help when trying to hunt down a glitch.

I went into "Study in the Book of Revelation" which is user editable, but is a module made by someone else that I downloaded. Interestingly, the first entry was not word wrapped. I went in and used "style and format" cleaner and it cleaned it up on the first note. I closed Sword Searcher, then went back in and looked in the same "Study in the Book of Revelation" book and the very next note was fine on word wrap, though the following note (all in order) was showing in light mode although I was in dark mode. But it is word wrapped too. *scratches head*

Sometimes I have made a note, then deleted it, but it shows up as a comment, that just happens to be blank. So it's not brand new. It could be that I had been working on those kinds of notes when the word wrap issue came up on what I was calling a "new note".

At best, intermittently. If I could get it to always be one way or the other I'd show you screenshots. I just made a test entry that has never been done before on Genesis 24:1 (my own notes) and the word wrap was fine, though. So now I'm doubting my memory. I remember making a new note -- but can't remember if I had erased something I had previously written or started fresh. I might very well have erased, and if so, it would make sense that there might be a word wrap issue if there had been html in the previous note that I was re-writing. I'm sorry to be so unclear on this. It doesn't help when trying to hunt down a glitch.

I went into "Study in the Book of Revelation" which is user editable, but is a module made by someone else that I downloaded. Interestingly, the first entry was not word wrapped. I went in and used "style and format" cleaner and it cleaned it up on the first note. I closed Sword Searcher, then went back in and looked in the same "Study in the Book of Revelation" book and the very next note was fine on word wrap, though the following note (all in order) was showing in light mode although I was in dark mode. But it is word wrapped too. *scratches head*

Sometimes I have made a note, then deleted it, but it shows up as a comment, that just happens to be blank. So it's not brand new. It could be that I had been working on those kinds of notes when the word wrap issue came up on what I was calling a "new note".
I'm not sure I am understanding just what you meant about it being in light mode (although I think maybe I do) but perhaps it is some HTML coding and you should run the format cleaner on it too. Or, perhaps temporarily switch out of dark mode to see what effect that has. I do not have the latest SS update though. Maybe Brandon will get you and I both straightened out though. MGB.

I'm not sure I am understanding just what you meant about it being in light mode (although I think maybe I do) but perhaps it is some HTML coding and you should run the format cleaner on it too. Or, perhaps temporarily switch out of dark mode to see what effect that has. I do not have the latest SS update though. Maybe Brandon will get you and I both straightened out though. MGB.
I don't know if dark mode has html coding I would want to mess with. I know nothing of programming these days.
However, I think I found the mistake I made in my comment earlier which got a question from Mr. Staggs:
"What is interesting about this, is that when I simply type the text in as I am doing right now (no copy and paste action) it does the same thing. At this point though, as soon as I see that after saving what I wrote, I just go back in and use the style-and-format cleaner, and it takes care of it. So I'm satisfied and happy to have a solution. Just thought I'd let you know it is also happening with straight typing."
was NOT actually new. Only straight typing. But since it was not new, but only blank, there is no way for me to know if it had html coding in it before.
See example below of what I was calling a "new note" but is not new. It would not exist to be edited were it entirely new.
Perhaps a better term would be "re-cycled" note. :confused:

Attachments

• Sword Searcher Not a new note, but an erased note.png
    Sword Searcher Not a new note, but an erased note.png
    41 KB · Views: 91
My gut says that at some point, something was pasted into that entry that contained formatting information that affected word wrapping. The editor component may not have properly cleaned it out when you deleted the content.

The surest way to start from scratch is to use the toolbar icons for removing entries. They will completely remove the entry, not just clear the text in it, every time.

1666642777370.png

1666642803979.png

Back