Repititious editing?

Regie

Is there not a macro that I can create for repeating the same thing over and over & over - a macro?

It seems I have done such before, but I do not remember how I did it.

Than ks,
Regie

Not in SwordSearcher, no.

I use Macro Express (www.macros.com) in conjunction with SwordSearcher. Macro Express is very powerful and over my head in many ways, but when I need help with a macro, I try myself, and then if (when) I fail, I just ask the developer and he responds. Just yesterday I asked him how to do a macro that would insert ē (since sometimes it's used when I'm quoting someone who transliterated using it), and he immediately got back to me. I type in what that program calls a "shortkey" and it puts in ē. The shortkey I assigned to this macro is "emacron", since the line above the "e" is called a macron. I have lots of these macros that I use, mostly for inputting stuff into SwordSearcher user modules.

I don't find Macro Express easy to use (I struggle to think in computer-ese), it's just necessary and a time saver. I'm sure that there are lots of similar tools, probably some free ones. But this one has been a great help to me and for my purposes, is worth the cost.

Edit: Oh, I remembered this: AutoHotKey is a free one (https://www.autohotkey.com/). I used it quite a lot in the past. I can't remember why I quit using it, but somewhere I hit a snag. I find that paying for a program that actually has real-human support is usually worth it. The free programs might do what needs to be done, but I don't want to spend half my life trying to dig through advice on the internet about how to use them. Nonetheless, for some things I do use free apps, since sometimes they work out fine.

Yes, I thank you much for your reply and I have discovered that the free ones I have found are just too much for me to absorb and I have given up and decided that I was wasting more time in trying to find the easier and faster way and what little I did discover, I grew afraid that the macro was going to (through my carelessness), somehow make changes that I did not want. Many or some times I can learn how to use some things but this one thing has proven to be just too much above my head. However, I am going to search and see if I can figure out which way is up and/or down on these two things you mentioned for I have discovered before that sometimes when we are about to decide we have done all we can do that we may later make a breakthrough. :) Like a preacher I know used to teach the kids that when they have tried and failed, to try, try again. That sounds like good advise for even old people like me. Thanks much and may God bless you for your patient answer. So, back to the drawing board for a while. :)

Yes, I thank you much for your reply and I have discovered that the free ones I have found are just too much for me to absorb and I have given up and decided that I was wasting more time in trying to find the easier and faster way and what little I did discover, I grew afraid that the macro was going to (through my carelessness), somehow make changes that I did not want. Many or some times I can learn how to use some things but this one thing has proven to be just too much above my head. However, I am going to search and see if I can figure out which way is up and/or down on these two things you mentioned for I have discovered before that sometimes when we are about to decide we have done all we can do that we may later make a breakthrough. :) Like a preacher I know used to teach the kids that when they have tried and failed, to try, try again. That sounds like good advise for even old people like me. Thanks much and may God bless you for your patient answer. So, back to the drawing board for a while. :)
Is your module one that you can copy to Word and run a macro from there, then copy it back to SwordSearcher?

Is your module one that you can copy to Word and run a macro from there, then copy it back to SwordSearcher?
Well, I never had thought of that. I may give that a try tomorrow, hoping I can figure out how to run a macro in Word. However, come to think of it, what I am trying to do is to put a link in one module to another module. So, I figure what you have suggested will not work. I have had several hundred entries that I have done individually, typing "See (and then using "send book entry link to editor." It works, just a slow go. :)
Thanks.

I use Macro Express (www.macros.com) in conjunction with SwordSearcher. Macro Express is very powerful and over my head in many ways, but when I need help with a macro, I try myself, and then if (when) I fail, I just ask the developer and he responds. Just yesterday I asked him how to do a macro that would insert ē (since sometimes it's used when I'm quoting someone who transliterated using it), and he immediately got back to me. I type in what that program calls a "shortkey" and it puts in ē. The shortkey I assigned to this macro is "emacron", since the line above the "e" is called a macron. I have lots of these macros that I use, mostly for inputting stuff into SwordSearcher user modules.

I don't find Macro Express easy to use (I struggle to think in computer-ese), it's just necessary and a time saver. I'm sure that there are lots of similar tools, probably some free ones. But this one has been a great help to me and for my purposes, is worth the cost.

Edit: Oh, I remembered this: AutoHotKey is a free one (https://www.autohotkey.com/). I used it quite a lot in the past. I can't remember why I quit using it, but somewhere I hit a snag. I find that paying for a program that actually has real-human support is usually worth it. The free programs might do what needs to be done, but I don't want to spend half my life trying to dig through advice on the internet about how to use them. Nonetheless, for some things I do use free apps, since sometimes they work out fine.
After trying a lot of macro recorders and the ones you listed, I came to the point again, to just give up. (Something I sure hate to do, but I realize when I have gone my limits, and though younger at the time, even some programming languages I took made a lot more sense than the complicated stuff I was reading while trying to get them going. I think it is pretty easy to see why Brandon has not put anything like a macro recorder into SwordSearcher. :)

After trying a lot of macro recorders and the ones you listed, I came to the point again, to just give up. (Something I sure hate to do, but I realize when I have gone my limits, and though younger at the time, even some programming languages I took made a lot more sense than the complicated stuff I was reading while trying to get them going. I think it is pretty easy to see why Brandon has not put anything like a macro recorder into SwordSearcher. :)
Well, here in 2023, I just downloaded AutoHotKey - and after reading some in it, I HAVE DECIDED TO JUST GIVE UP AGAIN. blah. Trying to keep what sanity I have left. Over and out - unless I think of something else down the road somewhere. :)

Back