Switching storage drives or directories????

Regie

A friend of mine had the following request of me:

<<How do I store my SwordSearcher modules on my ?D? drive rather than my ?C? drive. How do I change the path for SwordSearcher to look for the modules on the ?D? drive?>>

I've never tried it myself. Can it be done? In my dealings with Windows XP and in some slight working around with a friend who has Vista I have never tried to do anything in changing SwordSearcher unless maybe once switching entirely from a C drive to my E drive and even then (I think) my own created modules stayed on the C drive.

Can anyone help me so I can tell my friend?

Thanks & MGB,
Regie

You can re-install it on D and it will look for modules on D. You will probably have to put "user modules" in the same place as the official modules if you want to get them off of the C drive. It should still find user modules in My Documents\swordsearcher user modules\ directory on C as before.

Some modules look for graphic files in a specif place and they would not work if the graphics were in a different location.

As Bill said, your friend can install SwordSearcher to his D drive, and it will look there for the modules. For example, if he installs it to

D:\Stuff\SwordSearcher 5

It will look in

D:\Stuff\SwordSearcher 5\Modules

for modules.

The user module creation functions in the program always use the Microsoft recommended location for user documents (the Documents folder, which goes to [Documents]\SwordSearcher User Modules).

He could create

D:\Stuff\SwordSearcher 5\User

and MANUALLY move user modules there, and they will work, as long as his user account has full admin rights on the folder. This isn't officially supported, however -- but it should work.

Brandon, since this question comes up a lot, is there any chance that a future release will allow the user to name the default location of the module and image directories under Preferences? It seems like it would be a lot easier to rename the default location than to move all the files. What do you think of that?

Brandon, since this question comes up a lot, is there any chance that a future release will allow the user to name the default location of the module and image directories under Preferences? It seems like it would be a lot easier to rename the default location than to move all the files. What do you think of that?

I'll add this to the to-do list for consideration.

Brandon, i have tried to change the directory location of my user createrd modules, and find that the program recreates the file as soon as i open SS. Vista, running build 5.5.1.3. My problem is "My Documents" is a default location for a lot of programs. The fille gets messy, and i am trying to organize it. Somewhere along the way i got a file called "My Data sources" and i would like to use this a permanent location for my user module file. Any suggestions?
Rick

Brandon, i have tried to change the directory location of my user createrd modules, and find that the program recreates the file as soon as i open SS. Vista, running build 5.5.1.3. My problem is "My Documents" is a default location for a lot of programs. The fille gets messy, and i am trying to organize it. Somewhere along the way i got a file called "My Data sources" and i would like to use this a permanent location for my user module file. Any suggestions?
Rick

Sorry, it's not a configurable option. The only location SwordSearcher uses for user-created content is the Microsoft-recommended documents location.

I'm thankful Brandon will be thinking of this for the future. Although I use many Bible programs, I still find SS the most convenient for many things. Another enhancement along this line that I'd like to see would be that the modules directory have, say, two subfolders, one for modules SwordSearcher officially releases, and the other for other modules (downloaded stuff not officially supplied by SwordSearcher or user-compiled Bible translations (obviously not editable modules, since editable user-made modules have to be in the full-permissions location). I'd like to backup the files in the "other" (non-official SS modules) folder since some of it cannot be re-downloaded (someone stops offering on their website) or re-created (for foreign-language Bibles I've made). The modules that are officially SS don't need to be backed up since I can always reinstall off the CD. Just a thought.

Back