Sword Searcher FROZEN [RESOLVED]

S. Carpenter

Hi. I've been having a problem, suddenly, with SwordSearcher launching. This "sudden" difficulty happened after I installed Internet Explorer for Windows 7. I have uninstalled that program due to other issues on the computer. Those have stopped, but SwordSearcher consistently continued to launch it's splash screen, the outline of the program, and nothing else.

Next, I uninstalled SwordSearcher, re-booted my computer and then re-installed it. It installed fine until....launching the program again I got the splash screen (which totally gets in the way of seeing things) and the outline of the program with "Initializing..." just frozen.

Any ideas? Attaching a bug report. Oh. Now the bug report is missing. Help!
P.S. I have never had ANY issues with SwordSearcher since I started the trial throughout purchasing it and using heavily (every day).

Your Windows 7 should have Internet Explorer 11 installed. Microsoft ships certain file updates with IE, and the early versions of these files that shipped with Windows 7 all those years ago have bugs that can prevent SwordSearcher from working correctly. If you uninstalled a certain version of IE this leaves the question of which version is left on your system (there will always be an IE on Windows). So the first thing I suggest doing is going to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer-11-for-windows-7-details.aspx and downloading IE 11 for Windows 7, rebooting, and try again.

If SwordSearcher brought up a bug report screen after sitting frozen (which it will do after about 120 seconds of it seeming "stuck") the information in that report would be helpful. If you can let it sit "frozen" for a couple of minutes and then save the bug report and email it to me at bstaggs@swordsearcher.com (don't post it here publicly for your own privacy) I would like to take a look.

Your Windows 7 should have Internet Explorer 11 installed. Microsoft ships certain file updates with IE, and the early versions of these files that shipped with Windows 7 all those years ago have bugs that can prevent SwordSearcher from working correctly. If you uninstalled a certain version of IE this leaves the question of which version is left on your system (there will always be an IE on Windows). So the first thing I suggest doing is going to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer-11-for-windows-7-details.aspx and downloading IE 11 for Windows 7, rebooting, and try again.

If SwordSearcher brought up a bug report screen after sitting frozen (which it will do after about 120 seconds of it seeming "stuck") the information in that report would be helpful. If you can let it sit "frozen" for a couple of minutes and then save the bug report and email it to me at bstaggs@swordsearcher.com (don't post it here publicly for your own privacy) I would like to take a look.
Thank you for the response with such detail and care, Brandon Staggs. I finally resorted to Restore System and now Sword Searcher works. What I find interesting, is that I carefully installed IE for the EXACT operating system I have (32 bit, Windows 7) because I could not get any other browser I had tried to run a simple program that makes games work, call "flash". What interests me is that THEN I had access to Internet Explorer. After which, I found that every single folder I opened (including simply the contents of my computer) froze. Sword Searcher just never un-froze, whereas the others did on a second try. That is, until I did system restore. Now that it has been restored there is no link to using Internet Explorer (just fine with me) but you are saying that it's there? Whether I like it or not?

Anyway, the problem was solved. I tried to send a bug report but the splash screen of SwordSearcher would not allow me to get to the window that OFFERED to send a bug report....I assume, privately, to you! I hit the button on two separate occasions but saw nothing happen. So, IF you get that file, it's no longer completely accurate for me, however, it might show you what went wrong. Just know that you CAN skip the bug report if you got it today with a time/date stamp before this reply.

Again, many thanks for your solution. I hope it will help someone else (or even me, if I again have this issue) having the same problem.

Now that it has been restored there is no link to using Internet Explorer (just fine with me) but you are saying that it's there? Whether I like it or not?

Yes, it's part of the operating system. Some of its files are used throughout the OS and in programs including SwordSearcher.

Anyway, the important thing is that it's working now, and I am glad to see the update and that your problem has been resolved.

Hi. I've been having a problem, suddenly, with SwordSearcher launching. This "sudden" difficulty happened after I installed Internet Explorer for Windows 7. I have uninstalled that program due to other issues on the computer. Those have stopped, but SwordSearcher consistently continued to launch it's splash screen, the outline of the program, and nothing else.

Next, I uninstalled SwordSearcher, re-booted my computer and then re-installed it. It installed fine until....launching the program again I got the splash screen (which totally gets in the way of seeing things) and the outline of the program with "Initializing..." just frozen.

Any ideas? Attaching a bug report. Oh. Now the bug report is missing. Help!
P.S. I have never had ANY issues with SwordSearcher since I started the trial throughout purchasing it and using heavily (every day).
Hi sorry for your windows 7 issues. 🤔
I'm curious about if you tried any or all of the safe reinstalling of IE 11? As described in this Microsoft help forum

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...computer/e26c07ca-c0e7-4ec1-9c81-9f3da0af8d03

It's great you have a working swordsearcher again, but sometimes restoring to an older version of your windows OS leaves you with the same problems you tried to fix before the new one started, up and the result is a temporary patch but still unresolved original issue... Which sounds like in your case... Getting flash to work. And may be easier to resolve at Adobe. Com with their flash solutions..?

Hi sorry for your windows 7 issues. 🤔
I'm curious about if you tried any or all of the safe reinstalling of IE 11? As described in this Microsoft help forum

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...computer/e26c07ca-c0e7-4ec1-9c81-9f3da0af8d03

It's great you have a working SwordSearcher again, but sometimes restoring to an older version of your windows OS leaves you with the same problems you tried to fix before the new one started, up and the result is a temporary patch but still unresolved original issue... Which sounds like in your case... Getting flash to work. And may be easier to resolve at Adobe. Com with their flash solutions..?

Thank you for your thoughtful suggestion. Actually, flash worked fine with the Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 that I downloaded and installed from the Microsoft Windows official site. I didn't detail any of this before, but that's why I downloaded it. Because Mozilla Firefox, Opera AND Chrome all have problems with flash that seem unresolvable even with add-ons in all three browsers. However, I'm happy to say, flash worked beautifully in the IE 11 for Windows 7.

It was only that AFTER I installed that browser and used it that SwordSearcher ... as well as Windows Explorer which is how you open ANY window in Windows ... was freezing and crashing. All the way to the blue screen of death. It wasn't until I finally just did a system restore that things would work normally again, including my beloved SwordSearcher program.

Already been all over Adobe.com with their "flash solutions" which is why I found out that all three browsers have BLOCKS to flash, but not Permissions. In some cases, everything was there but when I attempted to give permission through the Adobe Flash console, it would not keep my choice long enough for me to even save as a preference. Very odd behavior. For now, I can live without flash.

What I can't live without is my copy of SwordSearcher! ;)

Thank you for your thoughtful suggestion. Actually, flash worked fine with the Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 that I downloaded and installed from the Microsoft Windows official site. I didn't detail any of this before, but that's why I downloaded it. Because Mozilla Firefox, Opera AND Chrome all have problems with flash that seem unresolvable even with add-ons in all three browsers. However, I'm happy to say, flash worked beautifully in the IE 11 for Windows 7.

It was only that AFTER I installed that browser and used it that SwordSearcher ... as well as Windows Explorer which is how you open ANY window in Windows ... was freezing and crashing. All the way to the blue screen of death. It wasn't until I finally just did a system restore that things would work normally again, including my beloved SwordSearcher program.

Already been all over Adobe.com with their "flash solutions" which is why I found out that all three browsers have BLOCKS to flash, but not Permissions. In some cases, everything was there but when I attempted to give permission through the Adobe Flash console, it would not keep my choice long enough for me to even save as a preference. Very odd behavior. For now, I can live without flash.

What I can't live without is my copy of SwordSearcher! ;)
Sorry I wasn't clear enough but since the installation of Internet Explorer 11 was the beginning of major system issues then you patch that up with the system restore. However an issue remains which could be rectified by following safe installation or reinstallation procedures for Internet Explorer 11 so that you have a working system and working Flash. The troubleshooter procedures I would take someone through to fix their Flash in other browsers would be to address the other browsers and their issue with flash. But I'll just join the crowd and say congratulations, that im happy to hear you have a working swordsearcher. If it weren't for swordsearcher I would have no reason to own a computer at all as far as I know. Blessings to you and happy sword searching!

"If it weren't for swordsearcher I would have no reason to own a computer at all as far as I know. Blessings to you and happy sword searching! "

Amen!

It's not enough to just have all the words of God out there someplace... The God of precise order has precise order for each and every word... SwordSeaecher helps me see the proof why every jot and tittle in the KJB is in the KJB perfectly set like an eternal jewel 😁... No more guessing which preference is the best word to correct the Bible with as the modern scholars keep trying to guess what goes where in the latest revision version continuing to revise their broken keys called a Critical Apparatus NA28 now...

Sorry I wasn't clear enough but since the installation of Internet Explorer 11 was the beginning of major system issues then you patch that up with the system restore. However an issue remains which could be rectified by following safe installation or reinstallation procedures for Internet Explorer 11 so that you have a working system and working Flash. The troubleshooter procedures I would take someone through to fix their Flash in other browsers would be to address the other browsers and their issue with flash. But I'll just join the crowd and say congratulations, that im happy to hear you have a working sword searcher. If it weren't for sword searcher I would have no reason to own a computer at all as far as I know. Blessings to you and happy sword searching!
Well, I installed Internet Explorer 11 from Brandon's link, and Sword Searcher is unusable now. And, I have no restore point to go back to EVEN THOUGH I MADE ONE! I don't know what wiped ALL points out! I know how to set them, use them, etc. But they were all gone after I did this "great" thing to my computer, and now Windows hangs on the opening of every window. What's worse, my email doesn't work, and I can't log in through a browser. (Stupid company sends the verification number to my email....now how goofy is that? Works fine if all you have wrong is a need to re-set your password....terribly if it's the email itself that won't pick up or send!)

Problem is, I have looked through all of this and cannot see what I have not done.

Also, Sword Searcher has the same strange behavior as before: splash screen is in the way and won't get out of the way for me to send a bug report. When I try to send the bug report window to the side to get to it, I can't grab it and make it move anywhere. The splash screen for Sword Searcher works like a "nope, gotta deal with me first" thing, so it won't respond. :oops::(:(:(

I wish I could think of a solution to your problems with Windows 7. While I do testing with Windows 7 (with IE 11 installed) there are obviously other factors on other systems. :-(

I did a web search for "uninstall IE 11 windows 7" and there are quite a few tutorials that purport to help you roll that back. Generally speaking, I would never advise someone to go to an older version of IE (security, stability, etc), but in your case, obviously there is some kind of incompatibility.

I am sorry for the trouble you are having.

Seems like my Windows 7 with IE 11 installed would be the perfect puzzle for you then, wouldn't it? But, yes, obviously something else is going on that I do not understand either. I've run a full system scan in-depth with Comodo Dragon Security suite, and so far, have not found anything wrong there. Also, I've tried a quick fix for hanging or frozen windows using cmd.exe in Administrator mode then Sfc /scannow, and the result is "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." So, that seems in oder. I will keep plugging away at it. I do not understand why SwordSearcher is the only program infinitely frozen though. Seems rather nasty of whatever problem is going on to pick on that. While all windows in explorer go from blank to blank WITH the message in the top left edge reading "Not Responding" ... and after waiting long enough finally load, SwordSearcher is the only one that won't load at all. I've also uninstalled then reinstalled Sword Searcher, hoping that would help. No dice so far. I will keep at it. I have many notes I do not wish to lose, and rely a lot on the KJV-SL for clarity when I'm not sure of meaning.

I won't give up, as this will continually bother me. If I find a solution, I will certainly post it. Pray for me? Or my computer?

If you'd like to try a test version of SwordSearcher please send me an email to bstaggs@swordsearcher.com (reference this thread). If there is a bug in SwordSearcher causing this I'd surely like to work it out. 90% of the battle with bug fixing is reproducing the problem on a development machine. It can be very difficult sometimes. I have many many users with Windows 7 using SwordSearcher every day and since there are no other reports like this, it usually means something else installed on the system is causing some kind of incompatibility. Unless I am mis-reading you, it sounds like you are having a systemic problem not limited to SwordSearcher. Send me an email if you want to try a test version.

While all windows in explorer go from blank to blank WITH the message in the top left edge reading "Not Responding" ... and after waiting long enough finally load, SwordSearcher is the only one that won't load at all. I've also uninstalled then reinstalled Sword Searcher,

It sounds to me like you've already identified that the problem is not with swordsearcher because it runs fine before ie11 is installed... Therefore the issue is with ie 11 installation.

BUT SAVE OUT YOUR USER FILES NOW! Put them on a thumb drive or a CD or an online cloud-like Dropbox or OneDrive or something if you use it. But a local hard copy is safer in case you can't get online for a while, but it will be there later on when you can.

There are a lot of details I would start to investigate but it's so hard from my cell phone to write anything. Andre Wright. And REE right and rear White or is that rewrite!

Old school basic 101 troubleshooting on a system-wide issue like this... Would be to suggest you build a new user on your machine. Login to the new user as a standard user and see if your issues with launching have been cured as a new user? Leave your original user in place until you're finished so that you still have all of your old files.

What this does is cause Windows 7 to install all the default settings for a new user as fresh and clean as it is able. You will have permissions issues as a standard user that require entering the administrator password.

There should be no reason you can't log in to your web mail from any modern browser at this point. Supposing a successful launch of the new user. Don't install any plugins or anything else to browsers, and see if swordsearcher launches first before you do anything else. Then try your ie11 from there. I'm not suggesting a reinstallation from that user the reinstallation of ie11 should only be done into Windows Safe Mode.

I'm working backwards from your initial reported issue which as far as I understand was with flash. And because Flash depends on what is called codec (compression /decompression) software to read media like audio and video... And windows is hooked to IE which access to codec and SwordSeaecher "calls up" this place... It may be getting a no.body.home. (and a broken reg key prevents proper open) Reply, that explorer says. "Busy signal" ... Oh well we don't need codec yet so open anyway for now.

So I am skewed by this report and my troubleshooting efforts are focused around a codec issue as the base problem for all of this mess. Zzz

Safe install of IE 11, as they call it requires booting into safe mode in Windows 7 so that the installation doesn't conflict with drivers such as codec and other software.

What I mean to stress the most importantly at this point is that : you Salvage your user files from swordsearcher and your other personal user files before you proceed because this may require complete reload of windows at some point. And if you do that you'll lose all of your old files unless you back them up.

If the new user solves the issues your path forward is a lot easier. All you have to do at that point is slowly put your files from your original user into your new user place. But great care and caution should be used in certain settings specifically certain plugins for browsers and media like DVD or CD software iTunes and so forth.

Did I mention that you should backup your files now at this point! An external hard drive would be a good start for that some people do two or three backups just to be sure, to two or three places.

Troubleshooting 101a = Uninstall all flash you can.

If you'd like to try a test version of SwordSearcher please send me an email to bstaggs@swordsearcher.com (reference this thread). If there is a bug in SwordSearcher causing this I'd surely like to work it out. 90% of the battle with bug fixing is reproducing the problem on a development machine. It can be very difficult sometimes. I have many many users with Windows 7 using SwordSearcher every day and since there are no other reports like this, it usually means something else installed on the system is causing some kind of incompatibility. Unless I am mis-reading you, it sounds like you are having a systemic problem not limited to SwordSearcher. Send me an email if you want to try a test version.
I sent an email. Hoping you can step me through whatever troubleshooting might be done for this puzzling problem. My email claimed it would not go through yet it showed up in "SENT". Hoping you receive it today.

I sent an email. Hoping you can step me through whatever troubleshooting might be done for this puzzling problem. My email claimed it would not go through yet it showed up in "SENT". Hoping you receive it today.

While I was trained as a professional trouble shooter @ tier1 for a large well known computer company... It wasn't Windows centered . I also provide I. T. and remote tech support for friends and family. I have dealt with a similar issue you describe and resolved it successfully. But since you are under the supervision of the software developer himself 👷 I will take this opportunity to exit the conversation... Wishing you both well 🙏👍🏻🎉🤗

Hoping you receive it today.

I didn't get it, but, I have sent you an email directly. Please check your inbox. If you can't see it for some reason, please click on my name on the left and use the "start conversation" button to do a private forum conversation.

Thank you so very much! I received your email. Please see Conversations (3 from me) to get the bug report I ran on November 3, 2018, before using the fix you sent. Apparently I was only able to save one bug report. Because it is incredibly long, I had to send it in 3 parts. Apologies for that.

I used the fix, and I got more afterward than I did before, but still have this strange thing where it appears that the splash screen for SwordSearcher is stopping me from getting to the program that has loaded behind it. So it fixed that! But it is frozen at that stage.
After beta install on top of Sword Searcher Dexluxe 8.JPG

Let's do the rest of this privately. Since I am having you use a test version it won't be relevant to anyone else.

Back