SwordSearcher on Linux

Re: SwordSearcher 5 on Linux

With the upgrade from SwordSearcher 5 to version 6 on my linux system, I had troubles. I have always been able to get SS5 to work under my Linux boxen as I do not run any Windows based machines. DHTML support is lacking if ie6 was not installed. There are numerous ways to install ie6 under WINE. That usually helped with SS5 installations. SS6 install however did not work. After much configuration changes I finally ended up upgrading WINE to version 1.1.40 and using Winetricks to install fonts, ie7, and .net3. This resolved the issue and I have SS6 FULLY functional again under Linux/WINE.

Setup: Linux Mint 8 (Derivative of Ubuntu 9.10),
WINE 1.1.40,
Winetricks (http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks)
[install MS-Fonts, ie7, .net3. do not install the service packs].

That's it. This same configuration worked under standard Ubuntu 9.10 and Fedora 12.

Thank you again Brandon for pointing out the error in the debug report that I did not see.

-mshives

After much configuration changes I finally ended up upgrading WINE to version 1.1.40 and using Winetricks to install fonts, ie7, and .net3. This resolved the issue and I have SS6 FULLY functional again under Linux/WINE.

Excellent post -- thank you!

I have been notified from another user that the "fixes" in mshives' post also work for Crossover on Mac.

I finally ended up upgrading WINE to version 1.1.40 and using Winetricks to install fonts, ie7, and .net3. This resolved the issue and I have SS6 FULLY functional again under Linux/WINE.
-mshives

Thanks for the fix. I tried the install and just went back to version 5. I wasn't planning to look at it for a month or so. I appreciate you took the time to figure it out, thanks again.

With the upgrade from SwordSearcher 5 to version 6 on my linux system, I had troubles. I have always been able to get SS5 to work under my Linux boxen as I do not run any Windows based machines. DHTML support is lacking if ie6 was not installed. There are numerous ways to install ie6 under WINE. That usually helped with SS5 installations. SS6 install however did not work. After much configuration changes I finally ended up upgrading WINE to version 1.1.40 and using Winetricks to install fonts, ie7, and .net3. This resolved the issue and I have SS6 FULLY functional again under Linux/WINE.

Setup: Linux Mint 8 (Derivative of Ubuntu 9.10),
WINE 1.1.40,
Winetricks (http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks)
[install MS-Fonts, ie7, .net3. do not install the service packs].

That's it. This same configuration worked under standard Ubuntu 9.10 and Fedora 12.

Thank you again Brandon for pointing out the error in the debug report that I did not see.

-mshives

Following your advice Mark, I now have SS6 running on my system somewhat:

Previously it would open, but crashed upon clicking anywhere in the GUI.

Now it will open and I can click around to open all menus and navigate around the Bible. However, when I hover the mouse over any text panes (the Bible pane, commentary pane, and book pane) my mouse completely disappears. I returns when I move it away from those panes.

I was not able to install the NET 3.0 Framework with winetricks - NET 2.0 installed fine but I keep getting an error while trying to install 3.0.

Any ideas?

Here are my specs:

Distro: Ubuntu Netbook Remix 10.04
Wine: 1.1.42
Using winetricks:

I installed ie7

I couldn't find MSFonts in the list? I just did corefonts

As I mentioned previously, the required .NET 2.0 framework installed fine, but my upgrade to 3.0 is failing.

Update:

I was mistaken on my wine version - it's 1.2

I did a complete uninstall of the .Net 3.0 framework and a re-install, which went well.

Still having the issue with the mouse cursor disappearing when hovering over the text panes, so I'm not quite sure what to try with that.

Instead of using wine, install a virtual machine, then install windows on that virtual machine then install all your favorite programs that run on windows inside the virtual machine .You can then run both Linux and windows at the same time. Use the tools you need to get the job done.

Instead of using wine, install a virtual machine, then install windows on that virtual machine then install all your favorite programs that run on windows inside the virtual machine .You can then run both Linux and windows at the same time. Use the tools you need to get the job done.

A virtual machine is good when I'm running something on my high-powered tower with a massive screen... but I am running on a netbook and like how Wine integrates nicely into my overall look and feel. I have Daily Bible and Prayer running in Wine (have had it there for awhile), therefore Wine is already on my system. I usually use SS on my big laptop, which runs Win7.

But I would like to also have it on my netbook since that is what I have really been taking on the go with me :) I have a very light installation put on the netbook with just my trusty KJV and a few core resources. Even so light it's miles ahead of comparable native Linux packages (though I'm thankful for their work, too).

A virtual machine also involves getting a registration key for Windows and all of that jazz, when I really only want to run a couple of programs that I've already bought and paid for :)

Anyways... bottom line is I'd rather run in wine than in virtualbox on my netbook.

Update:

After playing some today, I've realized the issue is purely that the mouse icon is invisible. The pointer is actually still there - I can left click and access the menu to highlight (sort of funny actually, since I just guess where the mouse is at and highlight whichever verse is the lucky test verse!). I can still double-click a word and have Webster's define it (as per my preferred double-click setting). Again, somewhat amusing to see just which word my invisible mouse is on.

I've found lots of hits on Google for "mouse point disappears in wine" - apparently it happens in other applications but I haven't found a solution yet.

I will keep toying with it because I'd like to see that mouse and all else appears perfect!

I was able to install SwordSearcher 6 without any issues on PCLinux OS 2010 running wine-1.1.44 and the instructions for wine tricks and it runs without any issues. I also see that MyNotes is also now working which is nice.

Happily I now have it running perfectly on my netbook :D

I realized I wasn't getting wine updates on my netbook, so I added the wine repository:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
Then I updated (sudo apt-get update) and update manager to fetch a list of updates - sure enough there was a Wine update.

After installing and rebooting, my SwordSearcher install works perfectly - I can see the mouse :D Very pleased.

I guess I have sort of a different problem. I have been running SS5 quite remarkably under Ubuntu 10.04, with Wine 1.12. I've had the same problems installing SS6 as others.

Lo and behold, I decided to try out VirtuallyBox, with Windows XP as a guest host. It runs remarkably well, except for, you guessed it - SS6. I'm impressed about the overall integration inside linux.

What's happening in my instance is that when I try to run the setup executable, XP tells me that it is not a Win32 executable program. Any ideas? Under Wine, it actually installed, but then crashed with any kind of movement.

God Bless
Bob

Using Ubuntu 10.04 with Crossover Linux 9.1.0 yields excellent results.

Crossover Linux is only $39.95 for a 6-month support period.

All you have to do is create a Windows XP bottle. Then install IE 7 which will pull in msls 31, IE, core fonts etc. After this, install .Net 3.0. This will install both .Net 2.0 and .Net 3.0.

Once this is done, install SwordSearcher using Crossover Linux.

It works better than any other version of SwordSearcher. I mean, it is responsive and ALL features appear to work.

The only thing I noticed was when I selected "About SwordSearcher" and then closed the window using the upper right hand "X", it wouldn't close unless I clicked the X twice in rapid succession.

Other than this, it runs great!

Blessings...

Thank you for the information!

Hello Michael, I read your post regarding downloading Swordsearcher for linux. Do you think you could help me? I have Linux OS and would like very much to download SS.

Did you download from the software center? Or did you buy a Swordsearcher CD?

Hello Michael, I read your post regarding downloading Swordsearcher for linux. Do you think you could help me? I have Linux OS and would like very much to download SS.

Did you download from the software center? Or did you buy a Swordsearcher CD?

If you are using Linux you will need to try using WINE, a Windows compatibility framework. Try downloading the evaluation version of SwordSearcher and installing it into an IE 6 Bottle in WINE.

I noticed this thread hasn't been active for a while ;)

Does anybody know what the best IE version is to install with Wine for SS?

I will be converting shortly to Linux Mint 13 (64-bit) and DO NOT want to lose my SwordSearcher! I am currently running a failing Win7 OS and been loving SS (ver. 6.2.1.2)!

Any advice from fellow linux geeks (or, anyone else for that matter) would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Peter

I can't speak to the Linux/WINE issue directly, but if you have a choice of IE versions to install I would suggest seeing if IE9 works and then work backwards (IE8, etc). Certainly on Windows any version from IE7 (maybe even IE6) on up works.

I can't speak to the Linux/WINE issue directly, but if you have a choice of IE versions to install I would suggest seeing if IE9 works and then work backwards (IE8, etc). Certainly on Windows any version from IE7 (maybe even IE6) on up works.

Thanks Brandon. I came across this chart at WINE's website. I downloaded IE8 and figured I would try that first since it had the best rating. Your comments help though, thanks. I guess it remains to be seen which IE dependencies SS needs in a WINE environment.

Since I am living in the bush here in Alaska, it takes a very long time for mail to arrive. I am currently awaiting a new DVD-RW for my laptop to arrive before I can install Linux (and my SS Install disc that my wife sent!). As soon as it all arrives, I will keep you guys posted how it goes.

Thanks again for your help!

Peter

I once was a very avid linux user, I got very fed up burning cd's with the new flavour of the week, and having to re tweak things to work, like wine for SwordSearcher, which I must say for the most part beta tested well back in the version 4 and 5 series of tests.

Wine, Linux and SS did not play nice for me after v6 began testing, however, it was not a SwordSearcher issue as much as it was a new generation of linux kernel and wine, and even crossover. And my utter dislike for learning to be a computer geek, while there was a perfectly good mouse to click, rather than all that command line stuff.

So after many hours of attempting to be a command line geek, and cd's turned into coasters, I decided to go big or go home, I splurged and entire $249 on a Toshiba 64bit AMD processor laptop from WalMart and have been running W7, (which I think is as good as my OS10 on my Mini Mac) and exclusively use it for SwordSearcher.

Methinks in the last two years I have saved the cost of my laptop in not having to burn new linux CD's. :D

Peter I am not trying to soft sell you off linux, I think it is a great alternative operating system, I just wanted to share a silly story of my adventures and wish you well tweaking.

Thank you all for the help, but alas... I cannot get SS to work under WINE. Being a pastor and doing most of my sermons in powerpoint, I am just not going to be able to get Linux to work for me. I truly miss SS!!!

I have some recovery cd's en-route for my laptop, so I hope to have everything back up and running soon. And I must say; I have had to try various bible programs under linux and NONE of them come close to SS. I had problems with all of them! Most notably being able to cut and paste scripture ref. into other programs. It also doesn't help that I am so used to using SS and the great layout Brandon has created. ;)

Oh well! Hope my cd's get here soon!

Back