Sync between laptop and desktop

kjv777

Is there a way to sync highlighting and commentary between two computers? I do most of my study on a laptop and would like to sync my work to the desktop when I use that.

Thanks,
David

I think you can just copy the highlighting.ss6hilite file from one computer to the other. It's located in the ss user directory. It would make both the same but you would have to be careful to not to make changes on a computer that did not have the latest file.

Bill is correct. The highlighting data is stored in a file in your Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules folder (along with any commentaries or books you have created). You can simply copy the content of the folder over to another computer.

I sync highlighting and commentary between two computers all the time. I have a laptop in the study and a desktop in our home office. They are connected via wireless home networking. When I'm finished in the study, I open Windows Explorer to display the contents of my SS User Module folder and copy any added or changed modules on the laptop to the SS User Module folder for the desktop.

Without the network, you could do the same as above but copy any added or changed modules to a memory or jump stick. Then copy the modules from the jump stick to the SS User Module folder on the other computer as Brandon said.

My wife and I have side by side desks in the office and often when we have a Biblical discussion I can quickly reference my up to date SS modules, perhaps a note in my journal made earlier in the day, or notes on the scripture we're studying in our Sunday School class. I love it!

Another tool I use for syncing is Windows Live Mesh. You install it on two or more computers and specify the directories you want to sync. If changes are made in any of those directories, they are automatically synced. I use it with the pictures directory as well as SS and a few others. It's a tray app.

Google windows live mesh or check out this article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Live_Mesh

I use FreeFileSync, ( Found Here ) which would do this on any OS platform. Very happy with it, use it on all BACKUPS it works well.

All others,
I also have a question close to this. Question is about SS copy issues not backup, just to be clear.
Copy my Windows 11 Laptop (SS data Folder) to my Windows 10 Desktop church office. Then setup FreeFileSync to do a (TWO WAY Backup) which I never use. One way backups always seem to be all I need for my data.
Thanks for any responses.
Just as Brandon stated above. Any thoughts since two different OS?

I recently upgraded to Windows 11, not there's much fundamental difference between Win10 and Win11 other than appearance and probably system backend updates - but basically the same.

Warmest regards, Tim

Going to test the theory. I have both backed up. I will simply copy from Laptop to Desktop. Then make a few simple changes run FreeFileSync Two-Way backup then see.
I understand the (OS 10 vs. 11 differences) I was asking about using as Verbatim Copy for two different OS Windows units running SS. Thank you. I will know soon. Amen...

My SS Location - C:\Users\owass\SwordSearcher (My SS Data is here)
Default SS Location - C:\Users\owass\OneDrive\Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules (No SS data here) Empty folder is all.

I use Office 365 with OneDrive (cloud storage) so this is my setup, sure there are many other ways to do it as well.
Different, but works for me.
I do have one comment. My SS Folder is [1.17 GB with 947 files 13 folders]. Is this comparable to others? This is Scourby, JVM, WW, notes outlines etc. Wondered if that is normal out there?

My SS Location - C:\Users\owass\SwordSearcher (My SS Data is here)
Default SS Location - C:\Users\owass\OneDrive\Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules (No SS data here) Empty folder is all.

I use Office 365 with OneDrive (cloud storage) so this is my setup, sure there are many other ways to do it as well.
Different, but works for me.
I do have one comment. My SS Folder is [1.17 GB with 947 files 13 folders]. Is this comparable to others? This is Scourby, JVM, WW, notes outlines etc. Wondered if that is normal out there?
In my Module file alone I have 1.19 GB of data - but I have not kept up with all new modules available.

Then I am not so far out there. Thanks for the response.

I will try the first things first as per top of this conversation. After reading looks like my question or concerns were answered there. So I try that. Thanks again. Copy folders, pretty easy. I will do.

It may be helpful to reference these sections of the help file.

The main thing if you are trying to keep to machines in sync is to make sure that you don't edit on two different machines at the same, or edit while it may be open on a different machine at the same time. Doing so, the sync services (like OneDrive) will end up creating multiple files in your folders that cannot be reconciled.

Thank you! My first request was pre-mature for certain. I am looking into it as per your advice here. I will establish my Master Machine, copy that folder and run Sync before using SS on second machine. I did notice my laptop Win 11 is only different in "Appearance" with my desktop Win 10 Pro I hope; and not in functionality as per SS software. So I think I will go ahead with my testing.
Question for you. I copied a sermon from the web with its own Hyperlinks to an online bible, I can remove Hyperlinks from a Word doc easily. But using the editor in SS I am lost as what and where the tools may be. Just curious if there. I see that you provide the tools in "code view" Find/Replace but lengthy so I opted for MS Word.

Thank you! My first request was pre-mature for certain. I am looking into it as per your advice here. I will establish my Master Machine, copy that folder and run Sync before using SS on second machine. I did notice my laptop Win 11 is only different in "Appearance" with my desktop Win 10 Pro I hope; and not in functionality as per SS software. So I think I will go ahead with my testing.
Question for you. I copied a sermon from the web with its own Hyperlinks to an online bible, I can remove Hyperlinks from a Word doc easily. But using the editor in SS I am lost as what and where the tools may be. Just curious if there. I see that you provide the tools in "code view" Find/Replace but lengthy so I opted for MS Word.
If you paste in Notepad you don't even have to work at removing the hyperlinks :) ... then you can copy again and paste where you want the record to be. I know that it removes all formatting but it's my go to for things I copy from the internet ;)

Thanks I’ll check that out!

I did notice my laptop Win 11 is only different in "Appearance" with my desktop Win 10 Pro I hope; and not in functionality as per SS software.
They will function the same as for SwordSearcher.

I can remove Hyperlinks from a Word doc easily. But using the editor in SS I am lost as what and where the tools may be. Just curious if there.
You can do a "Paste as plain text"

1662033697492.png

If you don't want to lose all the formatting but want to have more control over it, after pasting in normally you can use the Style and Format Cleaner to be more selective, such as keeping everything except for links and anchors, which would remove links.

1662033782231.png
1662033859981.png

Back