Tables in user modules: add column or row; turn off dynamic resizing

Eric

Beta Tester
I put a table in a user book. It is 5 rows by 9 columns. That's because I planned to use five Bible references for the 5 rows. However, I forgot about a header row. Is there a way to add one? I know in MS Word, etc. you just go to the last row and click the Tab key. That doesn't work here. In fact, I've not found anything that does add a row and I can't find a command in the menu for that.

Also, as I put the words in the top row for header descriptions, the width of each column dynamically resized proportionally with each label's number of characters. Of course, I can drag the column edges manually, but is there a way to set all columns to the same width and turn off the dynamic resizing?

Edit: Well, I did find that by going to code view, I can just copy one section of code and paste it in, and that way I can get another row. Not sure how I'd do that for a column, though.

Good job figuring out how to add a row! The code for adding a column is <td> </td>, so the basic code for a table row is:

<tr>
<td valign="top"></td>
<td valign="top"></td>
</tr>

If you add another <td> line, you'll have another column. BTW, td=table data, tr=table row, valign=vertical alignment. You can set the width to a percentage of the table or to a specific width. If you set it to a percentage, the column width will adjust according to the size of the table. The easiest way to figure it out is to make a test page with a small table and look at the code before you add any data. Then make a change and see how the code changes. You could look it up online, too, if you want to do it the boring way... :)

I love coding in html. It looks like so much gobbledy gook and then you look at the result - sometime it IS gobbledy gook! but sometimes it's perfection.

Last edited:
Sure, just right-click on the row and use the insert row or column function.

2015-09-01_9-47-16.png

You can also split a cell. These functions are also on the EDIT menu if the cursor is in a table cell.

2015-09-01_9-50-35.png

As for forcing all the columns to be the same size, there's so easy way to do that, you would need to code it in html.

Oh sure, Brandon, make it easy! :)

I must be doing something wrong because when I click on table the only option I have is "Insert New Table" all the other options are grayed out and therefore are inactive.
What am I missing?
Dave

I must be doing something wrong because when I click on table the only option I have is "Insert New Table" all the other options are grayed out and therefore are inactive.
What am I missing?
Dave

Those options are context-sensitive. You need to select a cell/row/column/etc for them to be available.

Back