User Book Module Disappeared

JCC

Does anyone have any idea why user books would disappear? Made several before and they worked perfectly. Made a few this morning, tabs were visible and I could get in them at will but after closing SS and powering off my computer, they are gone. In addition, my study and commentary modules are no longer editable.

Sounds like a file location issue. It's also possible that an update to your anti-virus may have changed something, blocking SwordSearcher from using its files, but that is just a guess.

Open File Explorer in Windows, go to your Documents folder, and look for SwordSearcher User Modules. Are they in there?

I have also seen weird things happen to files stored in cloud storage areas, but that shouldn't happen in the default location for user modules.

If you go to the Help menu and choose Module Load Error Log, it will give you reasons for not being able to edit your user modules. Almost always, this is due to a file issue on the computer.

Sounds like a file location issue. It's also possible that an update to your anti-virus may have changed something, blocking SwordSearcher from using its files, but that is just a guess.

Open File Explorer in Windows, go to your Documents folder, and look for SwordSearcher User Modules. Are they in there?

I have also seen weird things happen to files stored in cloud storage areas, but that shouldn't happen in the default location for user modules.

If you go to the Help menu and choose Module Load Error Log, it will give you reasons for not being able to edit your user modules. Almost always, this is due to a file issue on the computer.
Thank you very much for the quick reply. I will get on it. Another thing I noticed ( this is a new laptop running win11 btw) as I’m setting up SS, nothing is editable. Everything is fine on my desktop running win10.

nothing is editable
Well, only your user modules should be editable. Did you copy those over from your other computer, into your Documents\SwordSearcher User Modules folder? They will not be editable if you put them into a non-editable location like Program Files.

So I found MY error. I'll try and explain for the audience's sake. Although a new SS9 install into a new laptop I copied and transferred the settings from my desktop. Over a year ago I made the user module part of another drive on my desktop, I forgot about this step. SS on the laptop couldn't find it obviously. The books were located in the default user module location and a path was created in settings for the repair.
The second issue- By placing all the editable modules in the root module location on my laptop and not in the user module folder none of them were editable just like you said. Cut and paste fixed it. All rookie mistakes but I'm learning. Hope this might help someone.
Thanks again Brandon

So I found MY error. I'll try and explain for the audience's sake. Although a new SS9 install into a new laptop I copied and transferred the settings from my desktop. Over a year ago I made the user module part of another drive on my desktop, I forgot about this step. SS on the laptop couldn't find it obviously. The books were located in the default user module location and a path was created in settings for the repair.
The second issue- By placing all the editable modules in the root module location on my laptop and not in the user module folder none of them were editable just like you said. Cut and paste fixed it. All rookie mistakes but I'm learning. Hope this might help someone.
Thanks again Brandon
Amen . . .
at least you had them backed up!!!
should see the tons of Tylenols I had to take, when I had a similar issue... 😆
NOW, I use 4x Back up devices, which one of them is backed up every week, and stored in a Fire Proof Safe....

. . . . Never more . . .

Back