What does "x" mean in Strong's? How to search Strong's for "x".

Eric

Beta Tester
I was interested in knowing what the "x" means in Strong's entries.
How to find x in Strong's_Arrow2.jpg

Here is something I found at http://www.spiritandtruth.org/questions/215.htm?x=x (I'm not endorsing the site, just quoting it):

"X" is used to describe situations where the word in question appears with another word or in a repeated phrase which multiples [sic: should be "multiplies"] the original meaning of the associated word. For example, in Acts 5:42, the word for all/every (pas, Strong's G3956) appears with the word for "day" (hemera) resulting in the idea of "every day" or "each day" which results in the English translation "daily." Hence, the Strong's entry "X daily" means that when pas is combined with the word for "day" it multiplies the idea of "day" to denote "daily" (over and over, day by day).​

+ (addition): denotes a rendering in the [text] of one or more Greek words in connection with the one under consideration.

Before I looked on the internet for the answer, I thought I'd do a quick search of the Strong's Greek module thinking maybe there'd be some front matter with an explanation. When I tried to search the module having pasted in the "x" that was copied from the entry above, I got a message saying that text could not be found in that module. Strange. At least the one in G2192 would seem to be a hit, but there are many, many more. Brandon, maybe you could explain why a quick search (F3) for "x" or "+" doesn't work like I was expecting? Thanks!
Can't find x.png

Right-click the SGreek or SHebrew tab and select the module information item.

"
SIGNS EMPLOYED

After the punctuation mark :— are given all the different renderings of the word in the Authorized Version.

+ (Addition) denotes a rendering in the A. V. of one or more Greek words in connection with the one under consideration.

× (Multiplication) denotes a rendering in the A. V. that results from an idiom peculiar to the Greek.

( ) (Parenthesis), in the renderings from the A. V., denotes a word of syllable sometimes given in connection with the principle word to which it is annexed.

[ ] (Brackets), in the rendering from the A. V., denotes the inclusion of an additional word in the Greek.

In this digital edition, entry titles include two forms of transliteration of the Greek word; the first easily typed, and the second for pronunciation.​

Right-click the SGreek or SHebrew tab and select the module information item.

"​
SIGNS EMPLOYED
After the punctuation mark :— are given all the different renderings of the word in the Authorized Version.​
+ (Addition) denotes a rendering in the A. V. of one or more Greek words in connection with the one under consideration.​
× (Multiplication) denotes a rendering in the A. V. that results from an idiom peculiar to the Greek.​
( ) (Parenthesis), in the renderings from the A. V., denotes a word of syllable sometimes given in connection with the principle word to which it is annexed.​
[ ] (Brackets), in the rendering from the A. V., denotes the inclusion of an additional word in the Greek.​
In this digital edition, entry titles include two forms of transliteration of the Greek word; the first easily typed, and the second for pronunciation.​

Newcomer here. I figured out where SGreek is but can't find SHebrew. Does that come with the deluxe version?
[Editing: Nevermind! I found it!]

Last edited:
The x is not an alphabetic x but the multiplication operator so the f3 search does not consider those characters when searching.
That makes sense. How often I have read "Not seven times, but seventy TIMES seven" Jesus answering Peter on how many times we should forgive**. Even the versions of the Bible who write it 77 times have a footnote clarifying (seventy TIMES seven) which, if multiplied is 490 times! I believe, but am not certain, it is also used when the measurements of the temple are laid out to Moses, and other places throughout the Bible.

** Matthew 18:21-22 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
21 Then Peter came and said to Him, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?” 22 Jesus *said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.

Back