What's your favorite Bible text font?

Brandon Staggs

Administrator
Staff member
I recently switched to using a font called Candara for Bible text in SwordSearcher. I like how the text "feels" in this typeface so much that I am considering making it the default font for new installations of SwordSearcher. Up to now, the default on new installations has been Calibri. So, I was just wondering, what do people use? Do you keep the default or change it up?

Just in case anyone doesn't know, you can change your SwordSearcher font by going to File, Preferences, Fonts and Colors.

I do switch to Time New Roman Greek for all my panels. But sometimes, I also use (only Bible Panel) Old English with KJV1611. for an "Historic" feeling. I love to do that.
Candara font looks really nice also, . . . will surely try it!
Thanks.

Here's the default Calibri in my Bible panel:
1621816870730.png

And here's what Candara looks like:
1621816911482.png

I have different fonts for each panel. I like a font similar to New Times Roman (Bookman Old Style) for the Bible, but use more 'frivolous' fonts (Papyrus, Amita, and a Bahnschrift) for the other panels. I write the monthly community newsletter and have a large collection of fonts for that.

I like Calibri better than Candara, but since things are customizable, it's no biggie one way or the other.

The numbers appear smaller in Candara but the margin links appear sharper for the same size font. Font size 12 seemed a little to small for me so I raised it to 13. Verdana 12 is larger than Candara or Calibri. I like the Candara at size 13.

The numbers appear smaller in Candara

I noticed that too. One of the things that I find appealing about it is the numerals use the "old style" text numbers that drop below the baseline, so they flow nicely with lowercase text. Here's way more information than anybody really needs:

I recently switched to using a font called Candara for Bible text in SwordSearcher. I like how the text "feels" in this typeface so much that I am considering making it the default font for new installations of SwordSearcher. Up to now, the default on new installations has been Calibri. So, I was just wondering, what do people use? Do you keep the default or change it up?

Just in case anyone doesn't know, you can change your SwordSearcher font by going to File, Preferences, Fonts and Colors.
I prefer Times New Romans, 12 pt (at least).

I've never messed with the font itself, it's always been Segoe, but I have changed the font size.

I'm just a noob LOL I always just look at it the way it came from the install LOL I have it on a very large screen so everything is easy to read but I've not even looked into how to change the fonts though I like @Johnny NL statement of "I also use (only Bible Panel) Old English with KJV1611. for an "Historic" feeling." Which will make me look into the font selection a bit now thanks for the topic @Brandon Staggs

As a charter Swordsearcher user and advocate, I finally upgraded to your newest version fearful of my innate geekiness to flub it up and lose some 22k notes I've compiled over the years. I've stayed with this product among many diverse temptations because years ago I wrote you and you actually took the time yourself to write me back and not some minion, that, and the superior features Swordsearcher of which some I still haven't achieved mastery over. Reminiscing aside as to a favorite font... I would ask you to consider Amasis MT Pro if available. I use it in Microsoft Word within Office 365. It was used in the first manuscript submitted and accepted by my publisher so I have special endearment for it.

I really like the extra space. The kerning is really nice in Candara. Comparing it to Calibri, Calibri looks "tense" and a bit tight.
I change it up because, though I know it is not popular (and I could care less) I'm fond of Comic Sans. It's larger than most fonts at the same size, also darker, and "friendly" looking to me.
Above all though, I like the adaptability for us all to choose fonts both in the text and in the pop up. I'm going to leave mine on Candara for text and Calibri for pop up text so I can see which I tend to lean toward more.
P.S. Sorry I'm so late on this thread. Have had an abundance of things going on, most of which have been great blessings that aid me in studying the Bible with other Biblically minded Christian sisters. So all is good, just have been busier than usual.

I noticed that too. One of the things that I find appealing about it is the numerals use the "old style" text numbers that drop below the baseline, so they flow nicely with lowercase text. Here's way more information than anybody really needs:
Well, since I used to be a typesetter (what I retired from) I'm always interested in typeface. I'll agree I don't "really need" it, but I LIKE it! For instance, I love this quote from the article you cited "so numbers set in lining numerals call undue attention to themselves. Are pounds, dollars, dates and quotas really more important than the words and ideas which give them context and meaning?"
I REALLY like that. (Sorry for shouting but I get excited about this.) I like it because numbers are never as important to me as words. I took 13 extra (unnecessary) semesters of English in High School, and just the bare minimum of math. So even my actions scream that I love words; numbers? Not so much.

Also my typesetter's eye loves the lower case numerals because while it subjugates the numbers (verse numbering) from the text, it also makes it stand out and away from the text. I always notice when I copy/paste scripture that my clipboard exchanges the numbers to an upper case format so that when reading these aloud I sometimes begin to read the number. That is very distracting.

Back